First ML Barrel Cleaning guidance needed

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 30530

Reaction score
Hello to all....spent the day getting introduced into the world of ML by a couple of fine chaps near Birmingham, AL...got to shoot their cap rifles and found it very interesting and fun...peppered them with many questions and they were patient with a noob...Last evening went to an antique ML show in NW Alabama and came home with one I never expected...Knight Wolverine that hasnt been shot for 15-20 years though it appeared to be in fine condition; wanted to take it with us to the guys today but I thought it was best to give it a thorough cleaning first...glad I did as the nipple was well clogged with rust. So my question is...I've only had newer rifles prior and cleaned them with Hoppes #9 gun bore cleaner and lubed with Break Free Synthetic gun oil...so used both on the knight barrel....is that ok? I got the impression from chatting with the guys today that there was some cleaner/lube products that were not good with Black Powder.
Thanks for your comments.
Tom

Welcome to Modern Muzzleloader, Tom ! Good name!

Either true black powder or one of the subs like Pyrodex or T7 has likely been shot in the gun and either moisture from cleaning was left in the nipple area or the gun was not cleaned after its last use. In any case, you'll do best with hot water to clean it. On that rifle I'd remove the barrel from the stock and pull the bolt assembly and breech plug. Run a patch thru the barrel dry to make sure the barrel is in fact not blocked with crud, then clean it by submersing the muzzle end in an ice cream pail of very hot water Start a patched jag in the breech end and run the patch to the muzzle and then back without removing it past the rifling where the threads end for the breech plug. You can start a pumping action doing this which will wash the barrel clear. Dry the barrel with a couple clean patches and wipe down the exterior well. Check the barrel to be sure the rifling has cleaned up. If all is well, run a lightly oiled patch thru the barrel and set aside while you clean the breech plug and nipple. Give the bolt a look see to be sure any residue on it gets wiped off paying particular attention to the firing pin area. Since the gun hasn't been fired in those years, I'd disassemble the bolt and clean all the components well and reassemble after giving everything a wipe with a lightly oil cloth. Take a peek down the barrel and if it appears clean with crisp rifling you're good to go.

Round up what you need to shoot the gun and give it a go. Clean it right away when you get home. If the barrel was clean and crisp rifling after your initial cleaning all you'll need to is stay on top of the cleaning each time you shoot. Pyrodex can be the pits for fast developing corrosion so if its used, clean the gun the same day you shoot it. True black and T7 products are a bit more forgiving, and cleaning can be set aside a day or two after use. Just develop a good cleaning habit and you'll be fine.

If by chance the barrel is rough after that initial cleaning, don't fret too much. Pick up some JB BORE POLISH, apply it liberlly to a clean patch and wrap the patch, dry side against the bristles of a cleaning brush and give the barrel 100 strokes, changing the patch out every 30 or so strokes. Wipe clean and check then take it out and shoot it. Barrels in a world of misery can still deliver some excellent accuracy.

That Wolverine is a dandy entry level gun that typically shoots a good group to 150 -200 yards with some load development. Its a dandy deer rifle. Enjoy your new-found fun toy!

Wow! Mr.Tom! Thats fabulous...just what I was hoping to find out!
Thank you very much!!
In order to get the nipple and breech plug out I did have to make
a couple tools (was too anxious to wait for an order delivery of the
right tool set) and both were quite tightly frozen. All part of the fun!
Tom

Be sure to use some anti-seize or teflon tape on the plug's threads when you re-assemble Things will work better for you when you clean it next.

And DO NOT use any of that bore butter on anything, especially in the bore.

Be sure to use some anti-seize or teflon tape on the plug's threads when you re-assemble Things will work better for you when you clean it next.

I have heard one guy use crisco...cheap/plentiful...would that work?

If you don't recommend Bore butter , what do you suggest for storage for the bore and the exterior. Excellent and informative post. Thank-you...

Great information...thanks guys...I do have another question I need insight on...I'm planning on starting with T7 in pellet form but I notice on the package it indicates for use with 209 primers...I believe my Knight currently uses #11 caps...does this mean it wont work so well? The T7 in powder form package does not indicate the same. I also noticed the "White Hots" pellet package state 209 primers are recommended.
Comments are most welcomed.
Tom

Hey Tom this is Richard I am not sure but you may be able to get a replacement breech plug that uses 209 some of these guys can tell you better that me also the bolt may be different but you can check it out. Clean with soap and water

After a shooting session with 777, clean with hot soapy water as directed. I end by pouring hot water down the barrel and then dry patches until they come out dry. As soon as it cools enough, then run a patch with oil down.

When you are ready to shoot the next time, first run a few dry patches down and remove most of the residual oil. Then pop off a few caps to burn any oil left. Then load and shoot.

I have never used pellets. They are substantially more expensive and you can’t adjust the amount near as easily. #11 caps ignite 777 powder very well. Plus you get the feel of actually shooting black powder by measuring out powder and pouring it down the barrel.

Hey Tom this is Richard I am not sure but you may be able to get a replacement breech plug that uses 209 some of these guys can tell you better that me also the bolt may be different but you can check it out. Clean with soap and water
Richard...due to my inability to source #11, #11M or 209 in quantities less than 1000, I opted to replace the #11 nipple with a musket nipple and found some (100 qty)at my local Cabela's this afternoon...looking forward to giving it a go soon...now just need to find some powder and a few accessories!

Knight Wolverine BP rifle was my first foray into ML about 20 years ago. I still have the rifle. Reading this is inspiring me to break it out and shoot it next time I go to the range. Good luck with your Knight. This is a GREAT forum to learn and read about most issues you will encounter in your ML journey.

Richard...due to my inability to source #11, #11M or 209 in quantities less than 1000, I opted to replace the #11 nipple with a musket nipple and found some (100 qty)at my local Cabela's this afternoon...looking forward to giving it a go soon...now just need to find some powder and a few accessories!
heres the conversion kit for that gun to go from caps to 209 primers..search the knight website for breech plugs too..
https://www.muzzleloaders.com/product/209-primer-ignition-50-cal-muzzleloader-conversion-kit/

I would give the musket caps a try with the triple 7 in granular form to start. Its cheaper for you and you might just like the results..

Latest posts

Back