I have a very startling statement to make...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flint head

Reaction score
:shock: 777 is easier to clean than BH209 :shock:

I have really felt this way for a while... wow, I'm glad I got that off my chest.

While the breech plug sometimes needs a good scrubbing with Blackhorn 209....there is NO contest with the bore....Triple Se7en is a mess and Blackhorn 209 is a breeze....at least that's the way it is here in Athens, AL!

Pyrodex is easy to clean. Just a bucket of soapy water, stick the muzzle into the bucket and use a bore mop followed by 3 or 4 patches wet with windex and then run some dry patched, lube plug and reinstall. Maybe 10 minutes tops. It takes more time remembering where i put my bore mop and getting the hot soapy water ready than it does to actually clean the rifle.

Athens, AL... well there's the problem! :lol: I'm with ya Chuck, and I will probably use nothing but BH in my Triumph because of the Speed Breech. However, when a rifle has a fair amount of blow back the difference between the two powders seems a lot less in regard to clean up, all things considered of course. I can tell you that I hands down prefer using the Mean Green window cleaner for 777 as opposed to Hoppe's #9 for BH.

Personally, they both take me about the same time to clean a rifle.

However, shooting 20 shots without swabbing and not having to clean the rifle right away far outweighs any other consideration.

We must go at it a lot different, Cleaning my Triumph is so easy now I just do it at the range after I am done shooting, takes 3 or 4 minutes; it used to take me longer than that to clean out the crud ring between shots with 777 and 20 to 30 minutes scrubbing to get it spic and span before going back in the gun safe. Lee

must be sort of a unique rifle/temperature/humidity/mood thing. Perhaps even a more complex algorithm than the crud ring! :shock:

I'm with you FH, well not really... but you know what I mean.

Algowhut!

Perhaps even a more complex algorithm than the crud ring!

Huh, that sounds like some kind of birthing method? Where you gettin them words at?

Cleanup on BH209 is much easier with Montana bore solvent instead of hops 9. Cleans up the carbon on the breechplug face and in the flash hole with a qtip.

big6x6 said:
While the breech plug sometimes needs a good scrubbing with Blackhorn 209....there is NO contest with the bore....Triple Se7en is a mess and Blackhorn 209 is a breeze....at least that's the way it is here in Athens, AL!

+1

BH 209 ROCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

UC is right! I think... :think: Don't let me mislead you guys, I love BH. It is the cat's meow in my TC's... But I have had two guns that I actually prefer 777 in. The first was the Knight Disc rifle,,, BH made a dadgum mess in the breech area that was harder to get out than 777, especially when the domed plug was implemented. I also feel this way about my new Accura, sure BH cuts down some on the blow back but once again it seems harder to get out. Of course you have to swab between shots, but have we really gotten that lazy? There are plenty of fine muzzleloaders that will not shoot the stuff, are we to cast those aside? Certainly not! I think I even miss that wonderful combination smell of beer and pickled egg fart that I used to get with Pyrodex. My only point is that for me, when I total the sum of all involved, 777 is easier to clean/deal with... of course I reserve the right to shoot the crap out of BH in my Triumph,,, Hmmm, beer and pickled eggs? I've lost my train of thought... time to make a run to the fridge! :)

No contest. I put over 40 shots through my Triumph today without swabbing once and had no problem loading, in fact, it got easier the more I shot. A few minutes to clean the super-easy-to-remove speed breech and a few patches and I'm good to go. Sure beats having to clean the bore after every 2-3 shots with 777. 777 will never come close to my Triumph if I can help it!

That's because you have to spend so much time cleaning the gun between shots with T7. :roll:

Cleaning at the end of a shooting session was easy with T7, squirt in some CVA foam and wait 5 min. Patch and its done. Easier maybe, quicker, nope.

gotta go with HJ on this. I had good success with 777, but my breech plug and bore were FILTHY after each shot in my Triumph. When I would clean 777, there would always be quite a bit of build up.

BH 209 gives me the same performance (if not better) and is much easier to clean, non corrosive, doesnt need swabbing tween shots, and has less smoke after the shot imo

I have shot the BH 209 in my two disc rifles (extreme and elite).
While I was more than happy with the accuracy, and it was nice not having to swab between shots, the cleanup time on my breech plug and bolt was longer than with triple 7. I was using Hoppes for a solvent. Maybe I just haven't learned the right cleanup method yet, but for me the caked on blowback and difficulty in removing it were disappointments.
Art

Latest posts

Back