I may need to be stimulated

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found the S-TAC locally for the same price im seeing online. So i will be going to take a look at it soon. Same price as MidwayUSA and OpticsPlanet. Not sure i want to go upto the 4-20 but that 3-16 sounds great.

which stac reticle is the best for low light, as in not too fine?

The reviews of a thin reticle were the MOA-3, not the duplex.

On arrival I took the moa3 scope outside and looked thru the scope at wooded area on my property and the crosshairs pretty much disappeared. In early morning and late evening light, the crosshairs disappear completely. I returned this scope as I was looking for a hunting scope. The scope with the duplex reticle doesn't have the above mentioned problem. Crosshairs on duplex scope are visible in all light conditions. Image on scope remains clear throughout the magnification range. Image appears brighter than a Vortex Viper that I was comparing it with at the same time and same conditions

today I ended up getting a leupold vx freedom 4-12x40 with tri moa reticle for the cva scout 6.5, for 299.00 what impressed me was it's usability all the way to 12 power without blurriness etc that I could see and also great clarity. the caps and power ring are aluminum, I coulda swore they were plastic when they came out.

Sounds like a very fair price considering im not seeing any big discounts on the majority of Leupolds atm. Just a few discounts on the most expensive models. Best price i can find atm on the S-TAC is still quite a bit more than some of the deals they had a couple years ago. Best ive seen listed was around $350. Everyone else is $390. Amazon no longer has any at $335.

I stepped out on the porch this morning just as it was starting to show a little light and looked across the cow pasture to 250 yds to the cutover, over there and I could have killed a deer no problem with the scopes ability at 10 and 12 power. I bought the only one they had which was a demo. I see they normally go for 349 or so. It will fit the scout good. has twighlight management system which is a proprietary coating I think, and judging from this mornings observations it impressed me so far. the tri-moa reticle looked good too.

dont think I would put the vx freedom scopes on a smokeless muzzleloader though but for a 6.5 scout I dont think it stands any chance of getting shook apart. now for the rings. this scope has 80 mil adjustment elev and windage and 3.75-4.25 eye relief.

Im hoping to take a look at the S-TAC tomorrow. They got the 3-16x42 duplex. Not sure if they got the 4-20x50 in duplex or not. I forgot to ask but unless its the same cost as ive seen it online its not gunna happen. I would likely need taller rings. I am however taking my rings on the base with me to get a ball park idea of the clearance.

Uugh, they were closed yesterday so its another run down there today. They do show the 4-20x50 in stock too but i think the pricing is messed up. They have the plex listed as more expensive than the MOA-3 so im hoping that is a misprint just in case i decide to go with the 4-20x50. Online at other places sell that one for about $410 shipped and OP has free 2 day shipping on it. Thats a tough call when a Veracity FFP is about $460 at Natchez. :(

https://www.opticsplanet.com/v/s-tac4-20x50-sightron-s-tac-30mm-4-20x50-riflescope.html

To my amazement the 4-20x50 fit. Laying my base with rings on the glass counter left plenty of room with the flip up caps on.......The bad news is they wanted $500 for it in plex and about $459 in MOA-3. Optically i thought the glass on the 4-20 had a slight edge. Soooooo the 3-16x42 followed me home. I even explained the pricing and MSRPs to the guy. They want $25 over MSRP for the plex and slightly under for the MOA-3 reticle. :rolleyes: Online the 4-20 is $410 ish so i will just wait. I was not aware they come with a set of flip up caps though. :D

This thing feels like a tank. All adjustments are smooth. Turrets are very clicky and have just a slight amount of slop but all marks line up. Eye box gets a bit unforgiving at 16x but is great up until then. Glass sure looks like its on par with VX3i to me. My Razor HD LH image is a little brighter and nicer but i still have not fine tuned the focus either.

Major con....
The parallax adjustment is not numbered but turned all the way down its crisp at 10 yards. I need to range 100 and mark the white line with a red sharpie.
No zero stop unless you move up to the FFP model and that one is illuminated MOA or MH only. I found a Tac Ops 6-24x50 for almost the same price and its made at LOW.

Minor con...
A bit expensive atm because ive seen them sell for much less before all the madness and covid. So i used the "stim check" locally instead of online.
I liked the 4-20x50 better :p
Its quite heavy for its size. The 4-20 is less than a half ounce more but almost 2" longer....Yeah figure that one out. :think:

Uugh, they were closed yesterday so its another run down there today. They do show the 4-20x50 in stock too but i think the pricing is messed up. They have the plex listed as more expensive than the MOA-3 so im hoping that is a misprint just in case i decide to go with the 4-20x50. Online at other places sell that one for about $410 shipped and OP has free 2 day shipping on it. Thats a tough call when a Veracity FFP is about $460 at Natchez. :(

https://www.opticsplanet.com/v/s-tac4-20x50-sightron-s-tac-30mm-4-20x50-riflescope.html

That is a Good looking Scope my Friend :lewis: The Sightron’s get AWESOME Reviews, I have never read anything bad/negative about them. I would love to have one someday, To replace a Nikon i have on my .300 Win Mag

On a rig like a 300Win Mag i would have to look through both side by side. The Veracity gets rave reviews too and a FFP for $50 more is very tempting even with less magnification. I would have taken the 4-20x50 but they would not budge on price. Really odd too because they had the other S-TACS at the same price (or close) as MidwayUSA and Grafs. Both are located in my state. Kinda pissed me off to be honest that they would not price match 2 other local vendors on 1 stinking scope.

For the price i think its gunna be hard to find anything else that compares to a S-TAC or the Natchez deals on the Veracity.

Looks like its gunna work well. Got lucky, centering the scope in the rings ended up being almost perfect fit for the eye relief.
Its noticeably larger than the DiamondBack HP
yDJApMr.jpg

KVn7Xdl.jpg

BkF0eUC.jpg

OxVeHw4.jpg

oh heck yes, it looks good on your gun too. what reticle did you end up with?

Looks like its gunna work well. Got lucky, centering the scope in the rings ended up being almost perfect fit for the eye relief.
Its noticeably larger than the DiamondBack HP
yDJApMr.jpg

KVn7Xdl.jpg

BkF0eUC.jpg

OxVeHw4.jpg

It looks SAWEET! Very nice looking Setup :lewis:

Latest posts

Back