I Tried Twice

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know hunters that don't have the patience to sit still. I like both ways depending on the situation. Happy hunting to all.
My grandfather didnt have the patience to sit in a tree stand dark to dark, instead he liked ground hunting & stalking while the father was a 2x4/plywood tree stand dark-dark hunter only. I grew up doing both. When I really grew my own wings is when I got my first Summit Viper Self climber & a Garmin handheld GPS.

It's all about what appeals to you...in my neck of the woods, we do a bit of rabbit hunting. Some guys prefer to hunt with dogs...the sound of a pack of beagles running a rabbit back around for the hunter to shoot is music to their ears. Myself I always found it boring as hell. I preferred to jump hunt them. It just seemed more sporting to me. If that rabbit could get gone before I got that little 20ga. side by side on him then he won. And if he didn't I did. I used to eat a lot of rabbit. I imagine Muley Hunter would prefer my way over the dogs but I'm just guessing. At the end of the day it's about to each his own. The mistake I think people make is believing because if it's not how they choose to do it that somehow makes it "less than"...bad call on their part IMO.

Last edited:
It's all about what appeals to you...in my neck of the woods, we do a bit of rabbit hunting. Some guys prefer to hunt with dogs...the sound of a pack of beagles running a rabbit back around for the hunter to shoot is music to their ears. Myself I always found it boring as hell. I preferred to jump hunt them. It just seemed more sporting to me. If that rabbit could get gone before I got that little 20ga. side by side on him then he won. And if he didn't I did. I used to eat a lot if rabbit. I imagine Muley Hunter would prefer my way over the dogs but I'm just guessing. At the end of the day it's about to each his own. The mistake I think people make is believing because if it's not how they choose to do it that somehow makes it "less than"...bad call on their part IMO.

You'd be right. We had a next door neighbor who had beagles. I loved those dogs and always played with them. Everybody let their dogs run loose in those days. I was just a kid of 12 and my neighbor always invited me to hunt rabbits with him. At the time my dad was teaching me and my brother to still hunt and he told me how our neighbor hunting with his dogs. I never went with him.

I just wanted to hunt for deer anyway. This was in Mass and we had to use shotguns. Man, those kicked hard with slugs.

It's all about what appeals to you...in my neck of the woods, we do a bit of rabbit hunting. Some guys prefer to hunt with dogs...the sound of a pack of beagles running a rabbit back around for the hunter to shoot is music to their ears. Myself I always found it boring as hell. I preferred to jump hunt them. It just seemed more sporting to me. If that rabbit could get gone before I got that little 20ga. side by side on him then he won. And if he didn't I did. I used to eat a lot if rabbit. I imagine Muley Hunter would prefer my way over the dogs but I'm just guessing. At the end of the day it's about to each his own. The mistake I think people make is believing because if it's not how they choose to do it that somehow makes it "less than"...bad call on their part IMO.
Dang ! What a well said post. Thank you, I enjoyed the heck out of reading it & agree completely with you. Great outlook, awesome hunting practices & straight up fair. Much respect.

It's a one size fits all thing. It depends on what you're hunting and where. I pretty much only deer and turkey hunt. Never sat in a treestand for turkeys. I do for deer but not always. If in a new area, I'll still hunt, just to get the layout of the land. Windy days, I like to be on the ground. I sometimes bring a little chair and sit up against a big ole tree.
I never heard of moose hunters in Maine sitting in a treestand or Elk hunters in Colorado in a treestand. Oh maybe some do.
Like others have said, to each their own. I don't think one way is better than the other. It's about being able to be in the woods and not about success or failure.

I changed. LOL..You knew I would. Everything is still the same but I added a cow elk tag. Bear is tough to get in my area and I need some meat. So, I can hunt for bear and a cow elk at the same time. If I get lucky and get an elk I can use the carcass to bring in a bear.

Carry on.

Just because I want to hun for elk. I'm a meat hunter and my dog gets the bear meat. I need some for me.

As for selling weapons? Probably, no more than others. I just have a bad habit of talking about it. I'm also poor trying to survive on my SS check as my only income. To buy a gun I have to sell one. You guys just keep they all. How many do you have WV?

I'll just stop talking about any of it. I don't need to be told i'm a mess. I thought I had friends here.

Calm down muley. I think it's hard for some people to understand. I grew up north of you in Wyoming. Hunting consisted of walking several miles a day to hopefully take a shot under 200 yards. That was hunting and I loved it.

Married a pretty girl from MN and moved back to her family's farm. I will never forget the first year I tried to hunt here. Sitting in a stand holding a borrowed shotgun. I hated it. Made it about 3 hours before deciding I would rather quit hunting. My father in law introduced me to muzzleloaders and that's the only thing that's kept me hunting. I would still prefer to put miles in hunting but just isn't effective here. I have learned the value of sitting still in nature- it clears the mind like you wouldn't believe. Now all that said, if I were to have the life experience you do I would be much less inclined to adapt.

Dont ask how many bows I've had trying to extend my season and hunt bigger bucks.

Ive owned probably 100 or more muzzleloaders still have 24 and at least 250 custom recurves(mostly used ones) over the last 18 yrs only have 2 of those left. In that time probably owned 40 compounds or so also.
I'm as big a mess as anyone but I enjoy it and still better then sitting in a bar or blowing money smoking/drinking..
Ive got 300 crankbaits for trolling for crappie and about 40# of plastics for jig fishing for them so cant say a word about Muley, if you enjoy it or need to sell one to buy another no big deal.

I think I can join this club. In my 63 yrs. I've owned bows, more rifles than I can remember, more pistols than I can shoot and enough hunting equipment to outfit 6 people. I presently have no more room in my house for any more, but presently have 3 more on the way.

Yes, and everybody seems to forget that when it comes to me. It's easy to rag on the old man because he makes the mistake of thinking out loud about what he's doing or not doing. It appears to be a crime to change my mind. You all probably do the same thing but it's done in your mind and not expressed on a forum.

That won't happen again from me on this forum.

Yes, and everybody seems to forget that when it comes to me. It's easy to rag on the old man because he makes the mistake of thinking out loud about what he's doing or not doing. It appears to be a crime to change my mind. You all probably do the same thing but it's done in your mind and not expressed on a forum.

C'mon Muley Hunter, we're just messin with you. No spite meant(i ASSuME). Main dif between you & me is i buy something to try out, then don't like it, i still keep it, like a dummy, thinkin I'll change my mind some day.
Besides. Some of us are just trying to help you find the best gun for you however you use it.

You get cranky when you get old. Sometimes I look at myself and say. "What a crank you are."

As for the gun. I'll be happy with the Accura PR. I now know it's my only option. Traditional muzzleloaders and crossbows won't work anymore. The CVA is on the truck for delivery today. I'm sure this year is finally the year I hunt with an inline.

I have no issue with you Muley...your a grown man...you can do as you please.

Back