I Tried Twice

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear about your troubles Muley. That's very frustrating. Have you ever thought about an older T/C Thunderhawk or Firehawk? Those are great inline rifles, not too heavy either. Easy to carry compared to some. Simple #11 cap ignition. And affordable. If you send the CVA back you should atleast consider them. There are still plenty of good ones out there.

Last edited:
What about a TC Bone Collector?
That looks like a good gun.
I have a Triumph and it is a good rifle. It's very accurate, about as accurate as my Omega from what I have experienced. It's lighter than my Omega and easier to carry around the woods. The breech plug removal on the Triumph is super easy! But, I still like my laminated stock Omega better though. :cool: I hear the T/C Impact is a really good rifle for the price, but I have no experience with it.

I really hate sending back anything i've bought. So, I opened the box again and took the PR all apart. I got the breech plug fixed. It was some metal grit mixed in the grease. I took the scope off because I knew the base screws on the scope mount wouldn't be tightened and sure enough they were loose. I'm amazed at how heavy the bare barrel is. I fixed all the little problems the gun had and cleaned the factory crap from the bore. I still need to get a hold of Muzzle-Loaders and tell them about the hole in the box where the Northwest breech plug got out. The gun is heavy and there's no way to move the magnifier ring on the Burris scope. I'll have to live with those. I'm fine with leaving it on 3X. More than enough for 100yds which will be my new max distance. 50 yds for open sights.

Warning to anybody buying a scoped CVA from Muzzle-Loaders. The base screws on the base scope mount won't be tight. No matter if it's a factory Konus or aftermarket scope. CVA doesn't tighten them and neither does Muzzle-Loaders. I asked Muzzle-Loaders once if they would put blue Loctite on the base screws before mounting the scope that came with the package deal they were selling. He told me no they can't do that. I asked if they would at least tighten the screws because CVA doesn't. He said he would but they didn't. They shouldn't offer scope packages if they don't know how to install them.

Last edited:
I once bought a scope from the local "go to store" and they ask if I wanted it mounted. I usually do this myself but I thought why not so I did. I did some shopping to satisfy the "tackle Ho" that I am and picked up the rifle latter and left. I got home and removed it from the case only to find that it had been mounted with one adjustment knob on top and one on the left. But it was 🆓

I'd actually prefer they don't mount the scope. That way I could do it and i'd get the box in case I have to send the scope back for warranty work.

A cranky grown man.
It's hard not to be this day and age. I look around at what goes on and I remember back to when it felt a lot different to me. There's still a lot of good in this world, but you have to wade through a lot of ugly to get to it. I envy you living how and where you do...most people make my ass tired. And by the way...I have one of those CVA Prairie Rifles in 50cal and that is a good shooting rifle. I hope yours serves you as well as mine does me. Be well brother.

I really hate sending back anything i've bought. So, I opened the box again and took the PR all apart. I got the breech plug fixed. It was some metal grit mixed in the grease. I took the scope off because I knew the base screws on the scope mount wouldn't be tightened and sure enough they were loose. I'm amazed at how heavy the bare barrel is. I fixed all the little problems the gun had and cleaned the factory crap from the bore. I still need to get a hold of Muzzle-Loaders and tell them about the hole in the box where the Northwest breech plug got out. The gun is heavy and there's no way to move the magnifier ring on the Burris scope. I'll have to live with those. I'm fine with leaving it on 3X. More that enough for 100yds which will be my new max distance. 50 yds for open sights.

Warning to anybody buying a scoped CVA from Muzzle-Loaders. The base screws on the base scope mount won't be tight. No matter if it's a factory Konus or aftermarket scope. CVA doesn't tighten them and neither does Muzzle-Loaders. I asked Muzzle-Loaders once if they would put blue Loctite on the base screws before mounting the scope that came with the package deal they were selling. He told me no they can't do that. I asked if they would at least tighten the screws because CVA doesn't. He said he would but they didn't. They shouldn't offer scope packages if they don't know how to install them.
I bought one of those scoped packages from them but mine came with that Konus scope. Didn't know anything about them. Glass seemed clear enough and the reticle was good too. Took it to the range to find a load it shot well and sight it in and on the 3rd shot it came back and hit me over my eye...son of a ***** I hate that... pisses me off to no end. 3" of eye relief...stupid. Not near enough. There's a Burris on it now...much better. I put that Konus on my step son's 22...good place for it. That was my experience...like the rifle but not that scope on that rifle.

I'd actually prefer they don't mount the scope. That way I could do it and i'd get the box in case I have to send the scope back for warranty work.
I've had several scopes mounted by the seller. Always bad results. I insist that the crosshairs be absolutely square with the rifle. They always think it's acceptable to square up the scope using eye balls. IT ISN'T.

Back