Ice on my mind…

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelheader323

Reaction score
If there is one thing that is more addicting to me than muzzleloading it’s ice fishing…we have some cold nightly temps coming in the next week or so here in southern Michigan...has anyone made it out yet? I know up state from me has guys on the ice already

Around me only a few small high elevation ponds are frozen. It’ll probably be New Years at least before I can get on. I fish all winter since there isn’t much else I like to do.

There are some in Minnesota bent on first ice and have gotten wet feet, or more, already. Lots of wets snow on the northern half of the state and more coming tonight and tommorrow....never a good thing for young ice. Wisconsin and maybe Michigan maybe in line to get another shot as this sytem moves off towards the east coast. Be careful out there on the ice!

If there is one thing that is more addicting to me than muzzleloading it’s ice fishing…we have some cold nightly temps coming in the next week or so here in southern Michigan...has anyone made it out yet? I know up state from me has guys on the ice already
I get out on occassion to do some small pond ice fishing, but that's not for at least another month. The temps just started dropping to the 20's this past week.
What are you primarily ice fishing for?

I get out on occassion to do some small pond ice fishing, but that's not for at least another month. The temps just started dropping to the 20's this past week.
What are you primarily ice fishing for?
I fish for all kinds of species…in all kinds of weather..from trout up north to panfish and pike down here in southern Michigan..I don’t have a pic of it but we smelt fish a lot at night here as well. Heres a few pics from the last year or 2..im
Bad at remembering to take pictures but hers a few of my favorites 95A3C1D7-3C5E-4EE4-BB1E-28E46577DFE2.jpeg70B0BD70-5476-493A-B99C-3D9F2F2EE180.jpegA186BDE7-F754-4647-B841-E3B8D8A7C90C.jpeg4BF0C9EE-605F-45B0-8A4C-89A9ED0BD41E.jpegCDF17199-D715-424A-9A0D-576A312A084C.jpeg0F739696-DAC1-46BC-9E71-A018A8BA1629.jpeg

I fish for all kinds of species…in all kinds of weather..from trout up north to panfish and pike down here in southern Michigan..I don’t have a pic of it but we smelt fish a lot at night here as well. Heres a few pics from the last year or 2..im
Bad at remembering to take pictures but hers a few of my favorites View attachment 28817View attachment 28818View attachment 28819View attachment 28820View attachment 28821View attachment 28822
Great pics, awesome pike!
One of my favorites to take home is a bucket of panfish. I have a taste for fried pan fish.

If nothings frozen up by Encore50a yet, its going to be a while before first ice
Hubbard is wide open and far from locking up.

I haven't ice fished now in a number of years, but that was after fishing Hubbard almost daily for years. Caught a ton of walleye and some nice perch. Best year for walleye was 486 fish.

I'm actually thinking about buying a fishing license this year and try but...... I won't fish it until you can drive on it. Too darn far to walk with almost 8,000 acres. Once the ice will hold the Ranger SAFELY, I might give it a try.

1671067501741.jpeg

1671067531563.jpeg

Back