Ice on my mind…

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea I’d imagine if my area still had a Muzzlelaoder season the woods would calm down some. But 3 years ago they made in legal for any firearm that’s legal during regular gun season to be used for the muzzleloader season..we basically have 2 firearm seasons here. Not including late anterless season..where you can also use a firearm. I couldn’t tell you how many times I got in my spot this season about 2 hours before light and when the sun peaked the sky I could see hunters Orange within 100 yards of
me..Even had a few guys walk through about 20 minutes after Daylight. Doesn’t matter if your 50 year dos from the road or a mile off the trail..southwest Michigan state land is packed . It makes it tough for sure
I wish they would give us back an actual ML season, even if its a week or two in early January.

I wish they would give us back an actual ML season, even if its a week or two in early January.
Indeed…the woods had a chance to relax a bit…I don’t think it will ever go back tho..the amount of used muzzlelaoders I see on shelves in gun stores is at an all time high..I know of a few local gun stores that don’t even bother to get any new muzzleloaders because they just won’t sell

Yesterday was still blowing/whiteout conditions.

Got up this AM, and it was nice and still. Time to fire up the tractor.

Another day of blowing did NOT make things better!

This was the view looking out from my pole shed.
(Same 10-foot door, with another day of drifting snow!)

Edit: hearing about the deaths across the country from this storm, I guess my problems were “small potatoes!” 😢

0939454B-162A-457C-A7DC-159FE7577871.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m headed out in the am for another trip..supposed to be close to 50 here next week. Hoping to bring back enough to get the frying pan greasy

If there is one thing that is more addicting to me than muzzleloading it’s ice fishing…we have some cold nightly temps coming in the next week or so here in southern Michigan...has anyone made it out yet? I know up state from me has guys on the ice already
we are out and about looking for that 40+ inch pike . 😁 I keep a few to eat but 90% catch and release . I fish mostly for fun.
0BF112BE-5CC0-4859-88BB-B757C51F5321.jpeg

we are out and about looking for that 40+ inch pike . 😁 I keep a few to eat but 90% catch and release . I fish mostly for fun.
View attachment 29358
Great looking fish! The plan today was panfish in the am and chase flags in the afternoon but we still don’t have a lot of places they are ready as far as ice goes and we will lose it all later this week when temps get nearly 50, I still managed a couple limits this weekend of panfish. Pics to come later

B551097A-E52A-4017-BF93-1E9BDEAD9D2D.jpeg94F41653-3F37-49BE-9699-55438F05131B.jpegBoth friday and saturday rusults we’re a bunch of Throw back dinks…and with the 30 mph wind gusts I didn’t feel much like looking for a different spot…sunday produced a nice limit as well as yesterday..now to break out the fillet knife and get to work

Would love to go fishing.

The lakes have ice… and now I’ve got snow! 😂

Anybody care to guess which 10-foot overhead door has the tractor and the blower behind it? 🤪

View attachment 29256
Last year, at the storage unit facility I use, the snow remover "guru" plowed all the snow from our unit line down to the end and in front of the last unit. Snow was hard packed and higher than the door and somewhere between 12-15 thick at the base.
Wouldn't you know, the unit renter kept his snow sled and portable shanty in there -- not a happy "camper"

Hmmm I may have to make a road trip just to fish with you let alone to buy some rifles 😂 rain and 50 degree temps here the last 2 days..back to open water for now

Waiting for good ice again here in IN, had it for a couple days but were back in the 50s.

Back