IMR White Hots!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If what I have been told is true all the APP made powders are ascorbic acid or sugar based Pyrodex 777 and BH209 are not supposed to be ascorbic acid base powders are know to be hygroscopic [water attracting]
I tried the APP powders and found that in the climate here they had to have very stringent measures to keep the humidity from making them irregular. Lee

Maybe they're sealed packed to protect them from moisture. Sounds like APP formula with Hodgdon quality control.

ML Keith and Lee

The pellets are also non-nitrocellulose based, meaning we?re dealing with a true substitute for black powder. State water clean up!
? Looks nothing like anything seen before, it?s the only white gunpowder
? Are in easy to load preformed charges, especially well suited for speed loading today?s 50 caliber in-line 209 rifles.
? Deliver faster velocities that exceed 2,300fps for more knock out performance on game
? Shoot consistently with pinpoint shot to shot accuracy
? Is cleaner burning for faster follow-up reloading and easy clean up
? Produces no strong odors, it?s sulfur free and rotten egg smell is nonexistent
? Are packaged in an unique 72-unit carton, convienient for carrying into the field

The article Busta linked above says the formulation is exactly the same as TripleSeven minus the constituent that makes T7 have the gray color.

That seems to me to mean just another way to market T7.

Underclocked said:
The article Busta linked above says the formulation is exactly the same as TripleSeven minus the constituent that makes T7 have the gray color.

I was thinking the same thing but they are claiming that it

"Dependable in Extreme Weather ? Deer don?t mind the cold, neither should your powder"

"Clean Burning ? forget about cleaning between every shot"

"Easy Clean-up ? water wet patch removes all residue"

"Not Primer Specific ? works with all 209 primers
Not Breech Specific ? ready for use in your 209 ignition rifle"

Now if it doesnt absorb moisture and is non corrosive then it just might be a Blackhorn killer.

"Now if it doesnt absorb moisture and is non corrosive then it just might be a Blackhorn killer."

I think it is fairly safe to assume it has neither of those attributes - they would be listed in big bold letters if it did. I'm sure it will be similar to T7 in every way but color.

Underclocked said:

Yep, I read it that way too. Same power as 777 Magnums IIRC. Just a horse of a different color under their sister brand name, "Marketing 101".

The thing with Hodgdon branded pellets is they have never been packaged in air tight containers, and they are absorbing moisture as soon as they were packaged, in the wharehouse, in transit, on the store shelves, and wherevver the consumer stores them. I think Hodgdon is just finally waking up to that fact, so what better way than to re-invent what they already have, take the coloring out, and offer it in sealed tubes at a higher price with a new label. Of course they will probably still sell the Pyrodex and 777 pellets in the unsealed boxes just like they always have.

Looks like we will know more after the S.H.O.T., or not?

OH NO, NOT CRUD RING AGAIN. Thats just awful I was hoping that some compitition would bring the price of Blackhorn down some. Lee

Back