In answer to this....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpsman

Reaction score
article I will come forth with this comment:

http://www.monstermuleys.com/cgi-bin/stories/site99.pl?page=art-tobybridges51707

IMO the reason the PRB has decreased in usage is the mere fact that the present generation doesn't want to take the time to learn how to load and shoot traditional muzzle loading rifles and that they don't know how to use regular open sights as supplied with the Hawken type rifle! They've grown up in a 'scoped rifle' world....and don't know beans about how to use regular sights! In support of my statement....look at the US Military useage of the present M16 rifle with offering it with a scope! They don't take the time to teach the kids proper usage of iron sights and think that the optics will improve performance!! I rest my case!

Frankly...I don't give a rat's azz what anyone shoots but I hate to see the old way forgotten! They just don't know!! :Questuon: :Beating Muley:

No doubt the PRB is the exception rather than the rule on a firearms range.  I believe technology has changed the way newcomers are exposed to the PRB.  Walk the isles and take a quick scan of what is being sold at major sporting goods stores.  The PRB section is easy to walk by if you don't know what you are looking for.

That is why we have this forum. :)

I think Marty is onto something... 

I used to walk into a store and be able to gaze at a larger selection of PRB stuff and imagine...
Now, not so much. I do not know of a single brick and mortar store that carries a significant 
selection. Most carry nothing. What is there is over-whelmed by in-line stuff. There is no 'dream 
and drool' factor anymore in stores. That happens here now.

However, the appeal of our PRB fire arms will keep them in use. I remember when black powder was 
way out of fashion. It came back because it is fun and the weapons have character and attach to a 
unique spirit of American adventure.

Plus, you can't 'make smoke' once and not want to do it again. :pirat:

Scopes aren't legal in all states including Colorado. So, there's still open sight hunters out there.

Basically you are reading an article by a guy that changes his mind more than Obama. He started out as a traditional muzzle loading guy and then changed his attitude once the money shifted over to inline muzzle loading LOL.

He started out as a traditional muzzle loading guy and then changed his attitude once the money shifted over to inline muzzle loading LOL.
Yep, ole Toby went on a crusade against patched round balls. He wanted states to set a minimum energy requirement for muzzleloader bullets when going after deer etc. If states had done his bidding patched round ball would have been outlawed for most calibers.

http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49411

A .54 PRB will kill a deer at 100 yards with no trouble if you do your part.  But, I don't see so well and would never take 100 yd iron shot now a days.  But at 75 yds I stand a pretty good chance and at 50 yds I'm good.  

I like shooting all kinds of guns.  Love me the PRB, I do.  But I like my scoped varmint shooters too! An pistols, though I don's shoot them much, are just too much fun!  Still, in the end, I'm a shotgun guy and always will be.

Did I mention I'm fond of my custom recurve?  Awesome killing machine that thing is.  Now that I've gone and broken a forum rule, I'm gonna go eat.

I'm thinking 'Ole Toby' has for brains.....what I deposited in my commode a short time ago! :Hide: :affraid:

Sharpman

Don't blame Toby for the decline and for your frustration.

Mr. Bridges is no dummy...... no sireee!!!!

Based upon his tirade against the PRB......maybe he got hold of some bad whiskey then!

you should see the ones he had for knight when they dropped him :shock: They must have paid good for the path he went on.

GoexBlackhorn said:
Sharpman

Don't blame Toby for the decline and for your frustration.

Mr. Bridges is no dummy...... no sireee!!!!
No, he's a whore who sells out to the highest bidder.

Same class as Randy Wakeman.

When I started shooting, I had single shot rifles and pumps, all open sights, did not have an idea as to what a PRB was, my dad taught me to bring home food for the table, then a few friends got auto rifles and shot guns, with scopes on the rifles, I kept the open sight and single shot rifles. Most times I would use the 22 for hunting. 
Never heard or knew anyone that had a PRB in our area in South Dakota and Iowa until I was 30, and there was just a couple of people that had them, and the reason was, they moved to the area. Now they have a group that does the Lewis and Clark outing every year, along with a couple of shoots also. 
As far as shooting, I was taught by my dad to use open sights and do it right the first shot, not the 3rd,4th or 5th shot, 
That's the problem now a day's, Lets send 2 lbs of lead down range as fast as I can and see what I hit. 

The difference is the way we were brought up and taught, old way's and new way's, we worked hard for our money and we did what we could. Now a day's it is nothing to talk to some one that bought 3000 rounds of bullets and have 3 or 4 AR'S and other auto guns and BIG scopes on everything. 
That's the new generation, that's the way they have been brought up and taught.

Dave

Back