NM Scopeless Muzzleloader Rule

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can say from experience here in WA, when the rules changed and allowed the use of 209 primers instead of only percussion caps, the amount of hunters increased by quite a bit.
I took one of my sidelock halfstocks out hunting..(drew a muztag) an authentic looking double wedge Hawkeny gun…
ran into some other 5 hunters comparing notes…all had in-line guns and they actually genuinely mocked my gun…
”you hunting or gathering scalps…wagon train break down…civil war‘s over pops”…it was a little funny at the time but it spoke volumes about who’s scooping up the muztags.

I took one of my sidelock halfstocks out hunting..(drew a muztag) an authentic looking double wedge Hawkeny gun…
ran into some other 5 hunters comparing notes…all had in-line guns and actually genuinely mocked my gun…
”you hunting or gathering scalps…wagon train break down…civil war‘s over pops”…it was a little funny at the time but it spoke volumes about who’s scooping up the muztags.
You should challenge them to an accuracy contest. I bet you could out shoot them, maybe make a little extra $

I fit that category. I only used a muzzleloader 2 years, borrowed it from my brother. It gave me another week of hunting and I got a small buck first day out. Old inline Traditions, 2 pellets max, powerbelt bullets, 209 and a scope. It took 4 hours to find the buck because he was long gone before the smoke cleared. After more then an hour searching, we pride ourselves on tracking skills, I had to call my brother to help. We stumbled on the blood trail over 100 yards in the opposite direction we surmised he went. I can guarantee you that 90+% of the people that call themselves hunters in that region would never have gotten that deer. But the next year I shot a coyote in the exact same spot and never found it after the smoke cleared. Blew a piece of bone out of him even. Jumped on the smokeless bandwagon years later and never looked back. However, I really only do it because I hunt with a group, they travel a great distance and have custom guns. It is a 6 1/2 hour drive for me even. But we take that time because the weather is warmer and the hunt pleasant on private properties. I am there to fill my freezer, not take the trophy of a lifetime. My tradition is with those friends and relatives and CF rifles and rabbit hunting with a beagle. I think the point about Whitetails in the East and Elk in the mountains is spot on.
You don’t need my or anyone else’s approval to enjoy your hunting as you see fit…I’d do the exact same thing…. I’m intrigued by Hankins smokeless toys…but I’m already down at least 4 shooting sports rabbit holes….don’t need another….just yet.
Enjoy your friends and your hunt…

You don’t need my or anyone else’s approval to enjoy your hunting as you see fit…I’d do the exact same thing…. I’m intrigued by Hankins smokeless toys…but I’m already down at least 4 shooting sports rabbit holes….don’t need another….just yet.
Enjoy your friends and your hunt…

Thanks and I think the group you met were some of those humans I said I don't like. Bunch of arrogant morons. For the record after all this back and forth, I truly appreciate hunting in the traditional style and would love to have the space to roam and hunt from the ground. But I am not moving back to Maine just for that. It is just the good old days now.....

I for one have only ever hunted with open sights on a muzzleloader and thankfully still have good eye sight. Hoping to draw a NM mule deer tag this year in muzzleloader season. CVA Optima magnum with a rear peep will be my weapon of choice. Should be a 150-200 yards deer slayer!

Latest posts

Back