NM Scopeless Muzzleloader Rule

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They enjoy shooting muzzleloaders at TARGETS at very long range (1000 yards!). It’s a sport itself. Power to them!
But doubt they would be shooting at a deer or elk at 400 yards. If anyone has, post it up with pictures of the animal and your load used. If so, also show the ballistic data showing that the bullet still has enough energy to kill humanely.
You can use same thing and reach 150 to 200 with same rifle use your head , had friend that just did it in Colorado elk. Use a vernier or a good adjustable peep

txhunter58..... I 100% agree with you. Shooting targets vs animals is a totally different thing and I fully agree with you. I am a 100% target shooter and fully appreciate your statements. I have not hunted since the late 1970's ( even then it was varmints with varmint guns ) and was addressing it totally from a paper punching accuracy thing. Sorry if I skidded off topic. I meant well.

HV-Muzzleloader, thanks. For the info on Jack Hinson. I really appreciated it. Sounds like it would make a good movie.I have always enjoyed the history and true stories or the 1800's.

On hunting seasons, I always thought a primitive season should include sidelong Muzzleloaders, Longbows and Recurve bows
Then there could be another season for Inlines, Compound bows and Crossbows.
Be safe and keep your powder dry,
Trapper53

NM Game & Fish doesn't want to give up the revenue from license sales, so they want to reduce the success rate. It isn't scope technology that has increased the success rate, it is primers, powders, inlines, and quality barrels. They could have outlawed guns without exposed hammers without discrimnating against older hunters. But, that would have made rifle manufacturer's mad, and they have some political clout.

One reason for the success of the muzzleloader season, is it is usually prior to the rifle hunt. Sometimes the poor animals are surprised that it is hunting season. It is clearly a fact that there are more animals in the woods before the hunt than after, so muzzleloader hunters get more opportunities by hunting first.

I do t know why people care how close or far a feller kills a critter. Just go and enjoy your hunt
You are missing the point. By eliminating scopes, they hope to reduce success rates. Since getting within 100 yards of a critter is harder than getting within 300 yards….

As far as accuracy between sidelocks vs. inlines with new powders/ bullets: I have a T/C renegade sidelock that I will put up against any inline out to 150 yards as far as accuracy. That is shooting anything from pyrodex to 777 and a solid lead conical with a # 11 cap

Last edited:
You are missing the point. By eliminating scopes, they hope to reduce success rates. Since getting within 100 yards of a critter is harder than getting within 300 yards….

As far as accuracy between sidelocks vs. inlines. I have a T/C renegade sidelock that I will put up against any inline out to 150 yards as far as accuracy. That is shooting anything from pyrodex to 777 and a solid lead conical with a # 11 cap
To me it’s gonna be a mediocre shot at 100 with most hunters by not being able to use a scope. Especially older guys like myself who need a scope. Very few critters are getting shot at long ranges

Jeff Hankins has a smokeless 45 cal muzzle loader which he named "Cyclops" which shoots a projectile at 3800 FPS and develops 11,000 ft. lbs..
He has a video which shows him dropping a deer at over 800 yards! The rifle weighs 32 pounds!

scopes with doctors notes.

no sabots, no 209 primers, no pellets, conicals and loose powder only.

a special season in the middle of the rut for seniors 64 and older.

yep I'm eligible and bringing the white super-91 :)

Here is an example of a very exceptional custom muzzle Loading Rifle made by jeff Hankins:

He was able to get a 3 inch group at 1000 yards.
His 45 cal rifle achieves well over 11,000 foot pounds of energy by pushing a 350 grain bullet
at 3800-3900 fps using imr 4198

Jeff Hankins has a smokeless 45 cal muzzle loader which he named "Cyclops" which shoots a projectile at 3800 FPS and develops 11,000 ft. lbs..
He has a video which shows him dropping a deer at over 800 yards! The rifle weighs 32 pounds!
Here's the video link:
The Shot is at 11:50 (11min and 50 seconds in to the video) and it's at about 820 yards from the deer. Clearly it just dropped like a rock without even knowing it was shot.

Back