In need of some BH209 advice

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ya black horn is A NO#1 FOR INLINE MUZZ. cant beat it for overall performance! and not having to swab the barrel every other shot is a big +. pricey yes but, prices will come down soon. for my money ill never go back to them
other powders. BLACKHORN RULES !!!!!!!

I find that accuracy in my 50 Encore drops from 1 moa to 2 moa after 18 to 20 shots with BH209. I can still keep shooting but it's easy to clean so I clean it. Important to do the flash channel when you clean. I have a proper sized drill bit in a holder that I use by hand.

that's about rite. i think you will see that with most powders. i tested once 25 shots over a few days. and test results
were close to what you said. i dont shoot that much now of days but my ACCURA MR will shoot 1.5-2in. 100yds.
all day long using my BH LOAD. bullet weight's can make the difference 250-300 seems to be the weight's to
work with.

Thanks for all the great advice looks like I have some shooting ahead of me. I may just return the powerbelts and grab the sabots I need. I have a good supply of 240g XTP’s and a ridiculous amount of 265g Interlock FP‘s. I use them in my 44mags and 444 Marlins. Are the 300 grainers that have been mentioned 44 cal or 45 cal. I have some 44 cal 300’s but not the 45’s.

I throw a patch down the barrel after about 8 shots and clean the breech plug while I’m at it to ensure good ignition, this way my accuracy stays in check.

You will find your CVA barrel will have better tolerance than your Traditions, at least that is the case for me.

Practice with whatever bullet/sabot combo you want but be sure to hunt with a bullet/sabot combo that has a proven track record not a most of the time it works. My go to for 7 years were Barnes TE-Z’s and MZ’s, I did try the Harvester/Hornady XTP’s and had had great accuracy with them and the one buck I shot dropped on impact then got up to go 10 yards and crash.

I have yet to have to track a deer, and I have killed more with my ML’ers than any other method.

Thanks for all the great advice looks like I have some shooting ahead of me. I may just return the powerbelts and grab the sabots I need. I have a good supply of 240g XTP’s and a ridiculous amount of 265g Interlock FP‘s. I use them in my 44mags and 444 Marlins. Are the 300 grainers that have been mentioned 44 cal or 45 cal. I have some 44 cal 300’s but not the 45’s.

Your 44’s are good too, just get some green Harvester crush rib sabots for them. At least for me the Harvest White Lightning’s are fantastic in my rifle.

I am in need of some advice concerning the use of BH209 and sabots vs powerbelts. I have a Traditions Pursuit that shoots amazingly well with two 50g 777 pellets and a saboted Hornady 250g SST. I have a CVA Optima due to arrive next week and I was dead set on using Powerbelts with BH209. After doing a lot of reading I am wondering if I should use a saboted bullet.

What it boils down to is I have to swab the barrel of my Traditions after 2 shots. I was wondering if the same will apply to using BH209 with a saboted bullet?
nope, you will be able to shoot multiple shots

I shoot 300 gr Deep Curls in a black crush rib Harvester .452. I've shot 45 rounds cleaning nothing but the flash hole every 15 shots with 84 weighed gr of BH.

Back