In the field reloading with loose powder?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g.g.

Reaction score
I just changed over to BH209...with GREAT results btw...and have never had loose powder with my speedloaders.

I currently have all my powder range ready measured at 100 grains and in the lil science lab test tubes, but they seem to be a pain getting the lil cap off and can only imagine how that would work out under the adrenaline rush of just snapping one off at a 160" beast in IL!

so....what do yall carry with you in the field?

i use some Powder tubes that i bought off of Lane. No issues with fumbling around unscrewing the lid.

If your adrenalin gets that bad, its time to step back and calm yourself before loading again.

I've always used the T/C speedloaders. The newer black 50 cal "Magnum" versions have a place for a 209 on top of the cap. Pretty quick to pop the cap and then turn over and shove the ramrod right through the speedloader to seat the bullet. When your done with that step you have a 209 on top of the cap ready to go. I've had great luck with these for years with the #11 cap verison.

I use the tubes I bought from Lane.. they work really well and are easy to carry and remove the top. Since I never reload in a hurry, they work perfect for my powder and even bird shot tubes...

My son and I headed into the field on Saturday for our first deer hunt using muzzleloaders. At the end of the day, one of the black magnum's top had popped off spilling a portion of the powder charge plus when you dump out the powder, seems like there is a small bit of powder left on top of the bullet. All the charges using Lane's tubes were intact.
For myself and my son, we will just use Lane's tubes in the future.

Ben

Another +1 for Lane's stuff. They're so simple, and very inexpensive.

when yall are saying lanes tubes, is this what you mean? these are the tubes I bought for using at the range http://www.onlinesciencemall.com/Shop/C ... /SFV/30852 the cap is very small and although I had no issues with them on the range I could foresee an issue in a tree at 25 degrees in the middle of an IL woodlot

FG, sorry you have lost your adrenalin or who knows maybe you never had it, but when I drop a big buck or a lil doe I still get a lil charge out of it and want the best possible reloading scenario. btw, some of us kinda like the excitement

The one that LaneNebraska sells have a screw top. Really nice to use.

vials2.jpg

g.g. said:
FG, sorry you have lost your adrenalin or who knows maybe you never had it, but when I drop a big buck or a lil doe I still get a lil charge out of it and want the best possible reloading scenario. btw, some of us kinda like the excitement

I do get the rush after i shoot and then get my hands on it :lol: Better to have it at that time than any other!

Just saying, if it gets so bad where you cant unscrew a cap, its probably best to just slow down and calm your nerves before attempting to reload. Many things can happen when your blood is flowing and you're not thinking straight.

I was thinking more along the line of short starting the projectile.

frontier gander said:
g.g. said:

I do get the rush after i shoot and then get my hands on it :lol: Better to have it at that time than any other!

Just saying, if it gets so bad where you cant unscrew a cap, its probably best to just slow down and calm your nerves before attempting to reload. Many things can happen when your blood is flowing and you're not thinking straight.

I was thinking more along the line of short starting the projectile.

gotcha, I prolly read you wrong. never been so tore up after a shot that I couldnt get loaded with a normal speed loader or get another arrow on the string or another bullet in the barrel. but the tubes that I have are about as big around as an elementary school pencil :lol:

Latest posts

Back