Interesting question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're talking about a food scale or the likes, then they wouldn't think people would be weighing propellants, therefore no warnings.
Black powder is explosive. Any electrical spark of any kind could be a disaster.
No I’m talking about propellant scales. Here’s the owners manuals on a Hornady and two Lyman scales. And as you can see - no warnings on BP. If Bp were really so explosive that weighing it on a battery (or 110v) scale could cause it to explode then we’d all be dead by now!

B9F5064F-ED4E-4120-9732-5656C1C4030F.jpeg
87A71868-C683-4AB1-83B2-0FBD777E11D2.jpeg
7E226EFE-F7D2-46A9-B623-58EC2B74753A.jpeg

Last edited:
No I’m talking about propellant scales. Here’s the owners manuals on a Hornady and two Lyman scales. And as you can see - no warnings on BP. If Bp were really so explosive that weighing it on a battery (or 110v) scale could cause it to explode then we’d all be dead by now!
Just sent off an email to Lyman asking for information on using the product WITH actual/real BLACK POWDER.
I will report back when they return message.

1677539111900.png

Is it safe to use an electronic scale to weigh out black powder or subs?
There are those who will disagree, but there's enough information provided from manufacturers you should have read.

For safety reasons, I highly suggest you measure all actual/real BLACK POWDER by volume or, use a balance beam.

This is my old Lyman 1200 powder scale. As I mention I fill a vial with the approximate amount and then use a manual powder trickle to get to my desired weight with BP. With a smokeless powder, I pour the powder into the plastic tub and measure away.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012869276
Yep, same one I got. I let it do its warm up period, Calibrate it, dump smokeless powder or BH209 (when I used it) in tube, typed in weight I wanted, press button.
When I started using ball powder, I had to call them. It was like it was getting bound up. They promptly sent me a different dispense tube assembly for it.

Last edited:
Just sent off an email to Lyman asking for information on using the product WITH actual/real BLACK POWDER.
I will report back when they return message.

View attachment 31811
This is the manual for another electronic DISPENSER scale - not a simple digital scale.

Please let us know what they say (with a copy of your question). Thanks for going to all the trouble just to keep us all safe! 👍🏻

I could see an electronic dispenser/scale being a problem since the moving parts could build up static electricity.
But then I get static buildup from just my manual RCBS dispenser too.

Its the same thing as pumping fuel into a gas can, always set it on the ground to fill, never do it in the back of your pickup. ESD can cause a fire.

I have heard of it happening but never seen it before.

I seriously doubt BP is as volatile as gasoline fumes, but I suppose enough BP dust could be?

I think if you dispense from your powder horn into a brass powder measure, then pour into a measure pan and set on your digital scale you should be fine. Even better if your measure pan was brass since brass is anti-static.

I use this scale for all my measurements. Smokeless as well as black powder. It takes 2 triple A batteries. Works great. Never had an issue. I can not find any warnings on it about black powder. I check the calibration each time prior to weighing loads.0105AC6C-D1D0-451E-BB67-AF978FBA8A8D.jpeg

Last edited:
I use this scale for all my measurements. Smokeless as well as black powder. It takes 2 triple A batteries. Woks great. Never had an issue. I can not find any warnings on it about black powder. I check the calibration each time prior to weighing loads.View attachment 31822
that is the very same one I use
mine doesn't spark either

When I first got into reloading it was volume measurements using the Lee manual reload kits. They had a list of propellants to use with the powder dipper they provided. Then when I got into muzzleloaders it was the same method basically too. The Dixie Gun Works catalogue was my reference at the time. Heck it still is too.

Later I got into weighing charges but it was with a balance scale like Lee and RCBS sell. I did get into using digital scales but I discovered some problems with them. The digital scales drift over time. You need to constantly double check them for accuracy. Especially the battery powered ones. As the battery is drained the scale measurements drift. But even the AC powered ones drift too. As they heat up the values can change. So I wind up double checking with my old balance scale what the digital is reading.

So maybe sticking with volume methods is better than weighing. I don’t use BH209 or 777 so I don’t have a problem with just using a powder dipper or tube setup for a certain volume.

Latest posts

Back