Interesting Sizing Test

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james 14

Reaction score
Having recently wondered if my barrel was slightly oversized I was looking for a way to test the fit on some saboted .41cal or sabotless .458 bullets before shelling out the $$$ to buy them and risk having two expensive boxes of sinkers. I decided the easiest was would be to wrap some pieces of printer paper around a 40cal SST, measure with a micrometer and then try to get it down the barrel.

First of all I was surprised how much just a single layer affected the fit.
I started with two wraps and mic'ed it at .42. I didn't expect that much of a change but since it was already put together I decided to go for it and stuck it in a tan MMP sabot. No dice. I was able to push it just inside the crown before I decided there was no need to go any further. I stuck the range rod in the back and popped it out.
Next - I removed one of the wraps and this time it mic'ed around .406. It seemed the compression from the first test reduced the paper thickness. I tried again with the tan MMP and was able to push it all the way through with some effort. Still too much effort for a regular load and not really feasible since there aren't any .406 bullets out there that I know.
Last test was with the Harvester smooth blue. These things are much looser than the MMP and I had the idea of trying them with a .41cal XTP. I wrapped the bullet again with 2 pieces of the paper and this time they mic'ed at .412 which was consistent with what the single piece measured. I was able to get the load all the way through the barrel. It was easier than the MMP with one piece of paper by a slight margin and MAYBE easy enough to consider using.

I think this may have given me enough confidence to get a box of the 41cal XTPs and shoot them in the Harvester sabots. What I'm still skeptical about is whether or not the .458 bullet will fit sabotless. This would be ideal as it gives me more and better options. I suppose I could also bite the bullet (no pun intended) and get an adjustable sizing die to size the .458 down a couple thousandths. There's also the option of using a regular 200gr XTP in the MMP which apparently is a bit softer and will obturate more upon ignition but I'm not super confident in that bullet past 150 yards...and I guess that same level of confidence would extend to the 41 XTP. But why not experiment?

This may explain some of my barrel heat/flier issues. It's not a solution...but an explanation that may lead to one. We shall see.

"Slug" your bore, then you will have the information to know your real bore size. Both land to land and groove to groove. Very valuable to know how to size your bullets for fit. W

Thanks to derfhunter for the test bullets.

I received four .41cal bullets today complete with CR sabots. The CR's were a little tight but doable. I also tried with the smooth blue and they were what I would consider a perfect fit. Just a little bit tighter than a 40cal in a tan MMP. I mic'ed all of the bullets in both the CR and smooth sabots and they were right about .461. I was under the impression the CR's were supposed to be a bit easier but that wasn't the case in this instance. Either way it looks like I may be picking up some new bullets to test.

Ive seen 45cal ML bores as large as .454 although its uncommon. In a .454 land to land a 41Mag 210gr XTP in a Harvester sabot should do the trick. Its a lot better bullet for the task also IMO than a 40cal 200gr XTP.

BTW Fury custom bullets might be able to make you some bullets but im not sure if he can make that caliber light enough for you. .406-.411 are normally heavier with the exception of the 41Mag. His pricing is very reasonable for custom made bullets. Under a buck a pop last i checked.

GM54-120 said:
Ive seen 45cal ML bores as large as .454 although its uncommon. In a .454 land to land a 41Mag 210gr XTP in a Harvester sabot should do the trick. Its a lot better bullet for the task also IMO than a 40cal 200gr XTP.

BTW Fury custom bullets might be able to make you some bullets but im not sure if he can make that caliber light enough for you. .406-.411 are normally heavier with the exception of the 41Mag. His pricing is very reasonable for custom made bullets. Under a buck a pop last i checked.

Good info...and those Fury bullets look sweet. They say they are "dead soft" and they have heavier versions of the 40cal bullets with a pointed soft point design. If they are truly soft and will obturate enough it might work just as well to get some of those in 225gr and put them in the tan sabot. The BC on that bullet has to be near or higher than .25. If I was going to have them make something custom, however, I'd go the sabotless route.

Back