Iron sight help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rugerbh103

Reaction score
I picked up a 54 Knight MK-85 off of a forum member. Finally got all the components so I took the afternoon off hunting to shoot it. The best I was able to do was 3 inches at 50 yards. I know I could do better with a peep sight, but haven't seen a Foolproof sight for the MK-85's in awhile. Really wanting to leave it as is. I was shooting a Speer 325 grain JHP, MMP purple sabot, and 100 grains of T7 FFG.

Any tips on how to be more accurate with the factory iron sights?

One, do we know how the gun will shoot with a scope? Is the 3 inch group the load / gun or you?

Two, are you using the Pumpkin on a stick system? I’m no expert but iron sight marksmanship takes much more practice than scoped shooting. I’d stay at it and refine your marksmanship skills.

Only shot with irons. I was aiming dead on. I can try that method.

With iron sights, you always want your target perched on top of the front bead.
Do not cover the bull with the bead. Try shooting at the smallest bull you can see at 50 yards and set it right on top of the post in your sight picture.

edit: I mis-spoke earlier in stating to focus on the target not the sights,

Focus on the front bead, not the target or rear aperture is correct.

Last edited:
One, do we know how the gun will shoot with a scope? Is the 3 inch group the load / gun or you?

Two, are you using the Pumpkin on a stick system? I’m no expert but iron sight marksmanship takes much more practice than scoped shooting. I’d stay at it and refine your marksmanship skills.

Great questions. I personally would slap a scope on it and work up a load that shoots well out of the rifle. Then switch back to open sights and practice with it, and you can certainly try the 6 o'clock hold. For me I'm not so good with open sights anymore unless I have a peep. If you plan to use it only w open sights, you may consider tracking down a peep for it. Most likely you will be much more consistent.

fwiw, I shoot the same bullet/sabot and 100gr pyrodex RS in my .54 MK... it shoots under an inch at 50yds, albeit with a scope.

Focusing on the target is interesting. When teaching handguns we always preach to ficus on the front sight.

Focusing on the target is interesting. When teaching handguns we always preach to ficus on the front sight.
You are correct. I mis-spoke on that. You do focus on the front sight. I’ll edit my post so as to not mis-inform others.

How I sight in my rifles with iron or peep sights is to have the black circle sitting on top of the front sight. Like a pumpkin sitting on a fence. Zero your rifle so the Bullets hit at the base of the black circle. That is your new bullseye. It what we we were taught point of aim point of impact.

Latest posts

Back