Is Savage is the only smokeless

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Pirate

Reaction score
I maybe missunderstood,

but is Savage is the only smokeless ML ?

Is see some post talking about SMI and TC Encore as smokeless... If SMI can make a smokeless barrel for TC encore, could he make one for any ML ?

Please help me to understand. Thanx.

I guess Savage IS the only currently available PRODUCTION smokeless muzzleloader. New Ultralight Arms offers a custom .50 smokeless muzzleloader. SMI also offers several different smokeless options...

big6x6 said:
I guess Savage IS the only currently available PRODUCTION smokeless muzzleloader. New Ultralight Arms offers a custom .50 smokeless muzzleloader. SMI also offers several different smokeless options...

Chuck correct me if I'm wrong but I think NULA makes a .45 cal. version also.

LP, SMI does NOT put smokeless barrels on muzzleloader actions; SMI puts smokeless barrels on centerfire rifle/shotgun actions. It just happens to be that T/C offers a BP barrel that will fit their centerfire rifle action, as does NEF with the HandiRifle/Pardner.

You cannot put a smokeless barrel on the majority of muzzleloader actions. If they use a sidehammer or a sliding hammer (like the black diamond), then there is nothing to prevent the barrel pressure from flowing back out the cap/primer nipple/hole. It must be a locked action system, like a bolt action or break action. Furthermore, even if the gun does have a locked action, most of them are not strong enough to withstand smokeless pressures or are of an unknown strength, so safety cannot be assessed.

So if I understand right, you can buy a TC Encore and buy also a custom .50 cal smokeless ML barrel from SMI to fit on that rifle. I suspect that CVA Optima are not strong enough to get a SMI smokeless barrel, even if it is a break action. I'm right ???

I also understand that it is worth buying a Savage 10ML; I just want to understand... It is confusing for me...

Little Pirate said:
Thanx to everybody.

Hi,

A guy from Canada... with a Savage SM10ml-II or at least I hope so...

Great ! !!

And I was told that he is working in Valleyfield, Quebec, where they make researches on IMR powder. ... Even greater...,

Little Pirate... Welcome here with your expertise.

.............................................................................Gerald............./

Back