Is savavge a 200yarder?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heinz

Reaction score
thinking about switching to smokeless
Is the savage a consistent 200 yard gun?
If so what kind of groups do you get :?: at that range?

sorry about the spelling of savvvage

mr. jack daniels came over for a few

Savage is a 200+ rifle. One of the deer I killed this year was a 230 YD. shot. USing Hornady 250 SST with a max load of IMR 4759.

heinz said:
If so what kind of groups do you get :?: at that range?

Usually just one or two people come over and check out the gun at the range. But I have had as many as 3 or 4 come and look at the rifle. They seem interested in the muzzleloader that doesn't belch smoke.... and punches tight holes in the target :D

Sorry I couldn't resist....

My stainless/synthetic Savage will shoot 3 inch groups at 200 yards. When sighted in 2 inches high at 100 it drops about 6 inches. I feel very confident I can make the shot on a white tail at 200 yards.

Does not shoot this good everyday or maybe I can't, but it will hang right around 2" average at 200.

TargetC.jpg

Both of mine are DEFINATELY 200 yard + guns- both will shoot inside 3 inches - I think they will do better than I can hold... :oops: Rick

A properly tuned Savage with the right load and shooter is a 300 yard gun.

I think the Savage in most cases is more capable than the man behind it to be a 200+ yd gun. :roll:

Absolutely a 200 yard gun.. with Savage recommended loads even..

dwhunter said:
I think the Savage in most cases is more capable than the man behind it to be a 200+ yd gun. :roll:

Exactly :D At least in my case :?

Killed a 145# doe this year at 212 lasered yards with 250 SST and 43 grains on N110. Sighted in 2" high @ 100 and held a couple of inches higher than normal. Bullet hit heart/lung area, and she ran about 40 yards with a complete pass through. :)

black3

As of right now..I only have a 148yd Savage! :D Now I DID have a 197yd/208yd Disc ELITE!

Sure..the 10ML-II is fully capiable of making a 200yds shot...

[[ A Disc Elite would out shoot a Savage every day of the week out to 200yds]] tom- Thats hard to say without a side by side comparison by an experienced unbiased shooter-( with a proven load& bullet) I would say YOU may have a disc that shoots that good- a couple of guys around here have never found the accuracy from theirs as you have though....and they dont get as good of groups as my Savage gets - I wasnt disappointed how my other MZ's shot , but I'm glad I bought my Savages over another TC or Knight.... Rick

getonit, I owned i believe three Disc Elites and sold them all. I still own two Savages and a T/C Encore. The Disc Elites are the most accurate out of the box Muzzleloaders i ever shot. And they are very accurate with a variety of bullets. Of course this is my opinion only. :)

I would say the savage is a great 200 yd rifle.These were three different loads shot at 300 yds.I have one target that it shot a 1/2 in group @200 yds.
savage300yds.jpg

herman said:
I would say the savage is a great 200 yd rifle.These were three different loads shot at 300 yds.I have one target that it shot a 1/2 in group @200 yds.
savage300yds.jpg
Good shooting Herman!,my Mk and Disc will not touch that,but my HB will!!Herman,have you done any modifications to your
Savage?What bullet and sabot were you using? Thanks Rick

herman said:
savage300yds.jpg

That's some great shootin with any ML.

Latest posts

Back