Is savavge a 200yarder?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grouse said:
Tar-12, Your HB is not a factory out of the box ML. :wink:
Yes, this is true,I caught that after the fact.Thats why I asked Herman what he had. :oops:Savages rule anyway!

Rick my buddie bedded my ss model,that is the one I shot those groups with using 250 gr sst and the sabots that came with them.My blue model has nothing done to it and it shoots about as good.
My favorite load is 4759 @47.5 grs for 2440 fps using the powder from the metal 8 oz cans.Everyone is out of it and using the newer plastic jars (1 Lb ) I am finding that it don't shoot as good yet.According to my chrony it is over 150 fps different with the same load.
Been trying some IMR 4198 and it looks like it may work just as good,but it takes a lot more powder per load.

Our local shop has some of the IMR left in cans,but he said that would be it after it runs out.I wonder if that variation in fps was due to the material it is stored in or just a variation between batches?

I am pretty sure that it is the difference in lot numbers,rather than the packageing.I have seen this in other powders R-19 was one of the worse.I was told that the 4759 was made once a year in Canada but a friend called IMR and the fellow told him that it was made only when the supplies got low.
A Disc Elite would out shoot a Savage every day of the week out to 200yds.Just to tease Tom a little

encore-22.jpg

savage.jpg

Those are some great groups herman. :) The Encore group there doesnt surprise me one bit. I have a good shooter as well. T/C, Knight, NEF, Savage, i have had great success getting them all to shoot good.

Out of the box it is touted as an 1 1/2' gun at one hundred yards. All things being equal a 3" to 3 1/2" two hundred yard group is acceptable for deer hunting. Some have found this a bit hard to accomplish but my stock 10ML-II fell into this level of accuracy. If you get one that does not meet this standard send it back and they'll figure it out for ya.

VENISONEATR said:
heinz said:
If so what kind of groups do you get :?: at that range?

Usually just one or two people come over and check out the gun at the range. But I have had as many as 3 or 4 come and look at the rifle. They seem interested in the muzzleloader that doesn't belch smoke.... and punches tight holes in the target :D

Sorry I couldn't resist....

I think that there were 14 or 15 of us at riflemans smokeless shoot

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom I hope my teaseing wasn't takeing anything away from the knight.They are one of the best in my opinion also.
I bought a 45 cal disc three years ago (I think,time passes by so fast) got it to shooting 1/2 in groups @100 yds.First time I took it hunting dropped one at 170 yds.
I am at the range at least one day a week depending on the weather or sickness and for the last several years have gotten to help or set up rifles for others,last fall a new fellow had a cva that asked for help,I couldn't get over the recoil with it,worked up a 100 gr load with pyro and a 245 gr power belt,it didn't kick any at all and was very accurate and it felt like it weighted about 5 lbs.
One day a fellow called right before hunting season and wanted me to shoot his savage for him to see how good it really shot,I set it down leaning on the bench and got tangled up with it the rife fell and scooted across the floor.I was really embarrased,I picked it up red faced and told him that I was just checking to see how tough his leppol scope was.,shot a 3-shot group into one hole,think the group was what saved me.
I have so much fun at the range, I hope it lasts several more years.

Savage Shooter said:
Does not shoot this good everyday or maybe I can't, but it will hang right around 2" average at 200.

TargetC.jpg

What is your load for this group???????

POP said:
Savage Shooter said:
Does not shoot this good everyday or maybe I can't, but it will hang right around 2" average at 200.

TargetC.jpg

What is your load for this group???????

HIGH Octane! Not a Savage recommended load!

Send me a PM for info.

Latest posts

Back