Is this boards advice on BH209 any good?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walleye

Reaction score
Yes it is!

Scoped up the new Triumph and the old System One and went to shoot.

Shot both guns with Barnes 245 Spitzers and BH209. I have the SST bullets and the short Harvesters but with two guns to sight in I didn't have time to test these.

The Triumph did everything it was suppose to do.
The gun range is flooded so day one was from a bi pod at maybe 120yards on a wheat field. These bullets loaded pretty tight. Had the gun sighted in 3 shots. Moved the volume up to 120. Shot about 5 rounds in a straight horizontal line of about 4in. Day 2, gun range still flooded but I had sandbags and a bench at another place. At 75 yards, after some scope adjustments to get a 150 yard zero, last 3 shots resulted in vertical group of about an 1in. Maybe 20 rounds shot, no swabbing the barrel for 2 days, no blowback - no deposits at all - breech plug seals excellent, easy breech plug removal and barrel cleanup, no fliers, no problems. The trigger is okay but not even close to the System one trigger.

I would say the boards advice was so good that this gun will probably never see 777 as long as BH209 is sold.

The System One did equally well. The Barnes bullets loaded much easier. Last 3 shots in a vertical group of also about 1in. A lot of residue that was difficult to clean in the receiver. I bought some of the Montana bore solvent to try next. Also about 20 shots without any barrel swabbing, kicks like a mule at 110 to 120 of BH209- recoil pad not as good as the Triumph, with CCI primers BH209 ignition was instantaneous. This gun always had a crud ring with 777 and all the swabbing and bullet loading problems was a royal pain. No more 777 for this gun either.

The Triumph is going to be the winner to go hunting next week.

I am looking forward seeing the groups these guns will shot with SST's and the short Harvesters.

To shoot two guns with a max powder charge with good accuracy and no bullet fliers, no swabbing or loading problems at all is just amazing.

Without any doubt about it the advice on this board is just pretty darn good.

Thanks for the success story! That's what it is all about! 8)

ABSOLUTELY!!!! I took the advice from others on this forum and had a great day at the range with my Omega, 110 gr. BH209, Harvester Short Black sabots and 250 gr. shockwaves. Everyones info. has been dead on. I' getting one inch groups at 100 yards when I do my part. Usually two of the three shots cut through the same whole. And the information on clean-up has been great. Just Hoppe's #9 and a few patches and I'm finished. Thanks for all the help guys.

Used the bh209 for the first time in my tc triumph with 250gr shockwave and easy glide sabot. This set up performed as good as I had expected it to and cleaned up as easy as any centerfire. I'm sold

redeye

Unfortunately for me I had a predator problem on my deer hunt. Two coyotes ran the 6 Doe off the field , not once but twice then proceeded to lay down in the middle of the field watching for the deer to come out again.

So I range finder says 175yards, I am sitting in a folding chair with a
bi pod shooting stick. So I decided I am going to try out the 120gr of bh209 and the Barnes 245gr Spitfire with the scoped Triumph sighted in for zero at 150 yards. The coyote is facing away from me , the bullet hit him in the spine at 175 yards. No exit hole ,Bullet did not come out. Not really expecting no exit hole.

I am not the worlds greatest shot, but that shot is certainly one a center fire rifle would be expected to make not a muzzleloader.

I am truly amazed at the accuracy of 120gr of Blackhorn Powder with a Barnes bullet. Ballistics say about 4.5 in low at 200 yards with a zero at 150. At the end of my 4 day hunt I put a sheet of paper on a round bale with a cross marked with a pen. Bullet hole at 4in low .5in right. Shot off the same bi pod stick. BH209 is the real deal.

You will not need the guys that run this board to come shoot your gun to get a tight group, just follow their advice, its pretty damn good.

Latest posts

Back