It's Kit Time !

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geez it has to be a record un-delivery or who knows what ! No barrel n pkg. , i call Pecatonica River to see where pkg. is. They tell me it was out for delivery. I tell them my mail was delivered over 2 hours ago. Now i am in a 9 line bind. You don't leave no pkg. outside here more than 10 minutes. Its going to grow legs n run off. Were taking 1st load of our stuff to storage unit in Mo. early morning, was leaving at 5:30 am. I know if i leave the Barrel n rest of order will be stole soon as the Mail rider drops here. 330 lousy miles n Postal Service can not get pkg. delivered in 5 days.

Its still showing Monday delivery, but it shows its still at Elk Grove Il. Dist. Center I can bet a dollar to a dime those Dist. center theft rings has stole it. If it shows up i have not lost a thing except 2 weeks of build n order time. Its all on Pecatonica River now n their Ins.

My first underhammer package from Pecatonica was ripped open and the action was stolen I think it had to go through a Chicago hub I asked Pecatonica to ship it in something that didn't say muzzle loading all over it it was like a flashing light to me to a crime organization I hope you get it safe good luck

My first underhammer package from Pecatonica was ripped open and the action was stolen I think it had to go through a Chicago hub I asked Pecatonica to ship it in something that didn't say muzzle loading all over it it was like a flashing light to me to a crime organization I hope you get it safe good luck
It just surprises me how the mail system even unlocks the doors. It now says arrived at Smithland, Ky. Then was given to the mail rider for delivery. I gave the Post Office to hold it there until i picked it up in person.

Well to make a long story short. The P Office did not hold my barrel pkg. I went this morning to pick it up n they had put it on the mail riders van . They had a smart as*** answer. Said it was delivered n they were done with it. I came home looked everywhere but it was not here. I am working out in our camper bus n look out the window at 2 small boys 5-8. They have a 3' long cardboard tube they are playing in a mudhole with. Taking turns spear chucking it. I walk down there n its my barrel with my name n address label on it. No ins. label on pkg. , i show them my name n address on it n brought it up here to the Bunker. A great Blessing n a bit of luck.

Well to make a long story short. The P Office did not hold my barrel pkg. I went this morning to pick it up n they had put it on the mail riders van . They had a smart as*** answer. Said it was delivered n they were done with it. I came home looked everywhere but it was not here. I am working out in our camper bus n look out the window at 2 small boys 5-8. They have a 3' long cardboard tube they are playing in a mudhole with. Taking turns spear chucking it. I walk down there n its my barrel with my name n address label on it. No ins. label on pkg. , i show them my name n address on it n brought it up here to the Bunker. A great Blessing n a bit of luck.
I'd be considering a new zipcode! I've got 4 UHs all kits or switch bbl conversions done by Doug and the crew at Pecatonica. NO complaints about their service or products. I DO agree with all on the crappy USPS service. The last experience a 1893 Springfield from Cali to Denver just south of me then to AZ for a few then back to Denver then finally to me in Wyo 9 days total.

Last edited:
I'd be considering a new zipcode! I've got 4 UHs all kits or switch bbl conversions done by Doug and the crew at Pecatonica. NO complaints about their service or products. I DO agree with all on the crappy USPS service. The last experience a 1893 Springfield from Cali to Denver just south of me then to AZ for a few then back to Denver then finally to me in Wyo 9 days total.
trader i have started a move to Mo. that is what got me away from the Bunker for 3 days. Will be taking another trailer load over to Conway this coming weekend. I got my barrel draw filed n cleaned after the sanding. I am trying some of the oxpho-blue creame on my barrel. Looks like its going to give me the patina i am wanting. Not a real deep blue but a gray/blue mix in color. This barrel is 13/16" n my forearm was made to fit the 7/8" barrel that has been on order for 7 months. Not real happy about that at all. All he has done is put a centerline hole in the bore.

This kit has been a learning curve all the way around. I thought i was getting a Gn. Mtn. 40 cal bbl. Turns out what i got was a 42" Colerain bbl. that was cut to 32" n crowned drilled n tapped for the BP n installed. They drilled n tapped the nipple hole n its 1/16 long in length away from the hammer. Hammer will just be able to enclose on cap while be fired. Colerain was real heavy on the flat milling. I don't want nor will i get another from that Company. Over all i am really taking a shine to the Under-Hammer rifle. I will have the other .40 cal barrel with 1:24 twist coming for my conical shooting. This one with the 1:48 will shoot prb's well i am sure. So i have the tree rats n wild Bunnys covered. Now i am pondering if i should get another bbl. in a larger caliber.

Last edited:
This kit has been a learning curve all the way around. I thought i was getting a Gn. Mtn. 40 cal bbl. Turns out what i got was a 42" Colerain bbl. that was cut to 32" n crowned drilled n tapped for the BP n installed. They drilled n tapped the nipple hole n its 1/16 long in length away from the hammer. Hammer will just be able to enclose on cap while be fired. Colerain was real heavy on the flat milling. I don't want nor will i get another from that Company. Over all i am really taking a shine to the Under-Hammer rifle. I will have the other .40 cal barrel with 1:24 twist coming for my conical shooting. This one with the 1:56 will shoot prb's well i am sure. So i have the tree rats n wild Bunnys covered. Now i am pondering if i should get another bbl. in a larger caliber.
For my 4 switch bbls I have 36-40-45-50 and 54, the 45s are my fav for antelope and deer. Haven't tried the local elk population as my younger neighbor ( single) gives me elk meat each year as he is a helluva hunter and gets one or two each year archery season. My bucket list is a mountain lion called in with my 50 @ 78 I need to get it done soon !! Lower the height of the nipple and it will probably solve your problem as it has done for me in the past plus it will keep the cap on better.

For my 4 switch bbls I have 36-40-45-50 and 54, the 45s are my fav for antelope and deer. Haven't tried the local elk population as my younger neighbor ( single) gives me elk meat each year as he is a helluva hunter and gets one or two each year archery season. My bucket list is a mountain lion called in with my 50 @ 78 I need to get it done soon !! Lower the height of the nipple and it will probably solve your problem as it has done for me in the past plus it will keep the cap on better.
trader, i will have the 2 .40 cal. bbl's. I have 3 other .45 cal. rifles, also 2 50's. I have 1 .54 Renegade. I don't think i want a smaller caliber than the .40's. I will ponder on this the rest of this year. Possible another .54 or a .58 bbl. Would certainly be a slobber knocker on deer.

Have a sight/mount combo coming in next week. Super T-storms for the last four days has my Butt stock staining on hold because the extremely high humidity. I have a bbl. under lug ordered & pinning stock material for the Forearm to bbl. I will see which is the better for this small diameter bbl. It is going to be slow going on building this rifle for next month or two. I am going to be hard pressed to get every thing moved to Mo. over the next 10 days.

I am about 3 weeks away from getting my Under-Hammer to my friend in Mo. He is going to D&T all the bbl. holes, to mount sights/scope, also the underlugs n thimbles. Should have all of that done in Aug.

Last edited:
I have come to the truth of todays workers, slow is not the word that comes to mind. 12 days waiting for my small order from Pecatonica. I am just about to the point of not ordering anymore ML parts from any place. I will just go to events in Mo. n pick up parts here n there. I feel like no reason to build anything cause they may or may not send it . I'm just bent as my barrel is still sitting on the milling work table for 3 months gathering dust.

Its certainly frustrating, makes me not want to build parts rifles or kits i pick my build parts for. I like to build in the step to next step. I don't like my projects to span a year or more.

Well i emailed Pecatonica about my order back on 7-21-23 yesterday. I got an answer this morning, they had over looked it. Its suppose to ship out on Monday. I almost feel this build was not suppose to ever happen. I was getting worried as this is cutting it very close. We are loading our final load this coming week for Conway, Mo. to get out on the place we have. Have to get DL changed n wait 30 days to become a Resident. Archery deer opens on the 15th of Sept. I am sure i won't make it, but i am hoping to get started in Oct.

Well i finally got part of my order. They forgot half of it. I got my 13/16" forearm, the under-lug n 2 3/8" thimbles. They forgot my 3 ramrods my 4 sections of pinning material. Took a full month to get it. I will just get ready for my next order for my Winter project.

Well i finally got part of my order. They forgot half of it. I got my 13/16" forearm, the under-lug n 2 3/8" thimbles. They forgot my 3 ramrods my 4 sections of pinning material. Took a full month to get it. I will just get ready for my next order for my Winter project.
This whole process must be so frustrating for you. I read it this morning with so much interest only to be met with posts of setback after setback.
Oh well, the anticipation of the complete project is now huge.!
Good luck.!

Yes sir this build has been a dousy for sure. I was hoping to have it ready to shoot by Sept. Does not look like that will happen. It may end up being another Winters project to work on. I am still waiting on the original barrel i had ordered a Barrel maker. 1st week of May when i called he told me it was over on the milling machine to have the flats done. Almost 4 months later n its still on the milling work table gathering dust. Maybe i should tell him when he sends me the invoice, i will file in the next years pay slot.

Latest posts

Back