It's Kit Time !

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Permalyn sealer is just that, a grain sealer. I used nothing else, just natural wood. I'm going to use at least 2 coats before the final finish. First time using this product so we'll see how it progresses.

She is a beautiful kitty. My wife just got a pair of kittens. I built her, her own cat house 30 + years ago, heated, ceiling fan, sheet rocked, insulated, and heated with blue flame gas heater..she spends a good amount of time out there, her get away. One of the best investments i ever made for a stable marriage.. lol
...my shepard plays 8 ball, so there..

Permalyn sealer is just that, a grain sealer. I used nothing else, just natural wood. I'm going to use at least 2 coats before the final finish. First time using this product so we'll see how it progresses.
Newbie here. Just started my first Traditions Hawkins kit and got the LMF sealer and finish, been looking at all the YouTube videos and examples. Are you going to use the finish also? Will be following, thanks.

I'm not planning on it. I've got the second coat drying now. Used 600 grit wet paper and sanded in the coats of sealer. Turning out pretty nice. I'm going to try hand rubbing in a couple coats of the sealer and see how that goes. I will update as it goes.

I'm not planning on it. I've got the second coat drying now. Used 600 grit wet paper and sanded in the coats of sealer. Turning out pretty nice. I'm going to try hand rubbing in a couple coats of the sealer and see how that goes. I will update as it goes.
My grandson and I put the ol' po boy grain figure in his CVA so he could distinguish in the rack. Tru-oil. Old Indian trick LOL He shoulda sanded a little more but he was happy, all that counts.

Attachments

• P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    705.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    695.2 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    698.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Did you use a torch to make the grain lines? Looks good. I used to employ that trick on wooden arrows. Maybe we should all start a gun finish thread :)
Wish I'd had a finer tip on my little propane burner. Would have come out much nicer but I think my grandson is more worried about the Jr/Sr prom down in Booneville MS right now, Damn I'm gittin old!

I’m thinking that the stock is just about finished. 2 wet sanded coats of LMF permalyn stock sealer. 24 hour dry time followed by a very light rubbing with a maroon scotch bright pad. 2 additional rubbed in coats of the permalyn. 24 hour dry time between coats, followed by a very light rub with 0000 synthetic wool pad. First time using this product. I think I like it. I will let it cure for a few weeks and see if I want to polish it out or dull it down some.

Attachments

• 881464E2-A1CC-4512-B660-62D5AAAD1ECC.jpeg
    881464E2-A1CC-4512-B660-62D5AAAD1ECC.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 82D89284-B903-42F3-B6BD-447383A58073.jpeg
    82D89284-B903-42F3-B6BD-447383A58073.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 0
Man that's a pretty finish on some beautiful wood. Good work.

I can truly appreciate the amount of work it take to get this far in your project! Looking good! I like your peep arrangement.

I reckon i am in the state of waiting. I got tired of waiting for my custom barrel to get the build farther along than picking up parts to look at. So i emailed Pecatonica River to ck. on in stock barrels. They had a .40 in a 1:48 twist 13/16" , so i have barrel drilled tapped n BP installed. Have the nipple port drilled & Tapped n nipple install. Have 36" barrel cut to 32" n cut n crowned. Should be here by next friday i was told.

We've all been waiting for the finished product as long as you have and are likely about as antsy as you to get it finished. Than we'll be wanting to see some holes in paper. Happy for you that is finally coming together

We've all been waiting for the finished product as long as you have and are likely about as antsy as you to get it finished. Than we'll be wanting to see some holes in paper. Happy for you that is finally coming together
Ain't that the truth, once i get it together. Then its work up an accurate load for this Fall's tick toter season. I can see i need to whack 5 of them this Fall/Winter. I have 5 diff ML's to use n take turns with.

I guess i hit wrong key, should be about 330 miles from me. Does not matter as it did not come n i don't have a tracking # or what carrier it was sent by. I was thinking 330 miles one day down & next day delivery. Then i said unto self 2 days down n then 3 days, 4th came n went. So i shall see what 5th day brings or not. Being this long i get to thinking did it get stole at the Distribution Center ?

Give it a couple days.

I ordered some Barnes bullets a while ago and got the tracking info. I saw where the bullets had made a postal station somewhere in Utah, then the next stop was in Louisiana somewhere. Then Minneapolis, then here to Rochester and delivered the next day. Why in the heck they ended up in Louisiana I haven't a clue but assume they got mixed up in the shuffle at the postal station in Utah. I think a lot of problems with shipping today is because shippers employ so many people with IQ's no higher than a child's shoe size.

Back