Knight Extreme owners using Blackhorn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsteurrys

Reaction score
How are you guys getting the bolt and breech plug area clean on your Knight Extremes? I have been using stainless steel wire brushes and a exacto knife to remove the black hard carbon like buildup. Has anyone found a better way as this is time consuming, but it does work?

You using the red FPJs right? Going to the non-FPJ plug fixed this issue. If you want to stick with the FPJs than the best thing I found was a cheap brass bristle toothbrush that ground down so that it would fit into the breach a little better.

Really the non-FPJ is great. Just a little bit of that carbon right in the middle of the loading port. Makes cleaning the plug itself much easier too.

I am using the red FPJs. I will try the NFPJ breechplug my next trip to the range to see if it is better.

jsteurrys said:
I will try the NFPJ breechplug my next trip to the range to see if it is better.

Very inconsistent with BH209 for me. I got perfect ignition every time using the red plastic jackets.

Grouse,

IIRC you are using CCI 209 Primers?

I have had a couple hang-fires with CCI 209 primers and the N-FPJ plug the last time I shot. The CCI's also want to come apart and stick in the adapter, lifting the bolt (re-cocking) and dry firing nocked it back down so it would fall out when turned to the side. Went back to the Win W 209 and didn't have another problem. The CCI 209M (Magnum) primers seem to be hot but also want to come unglued.

The Federal 209A seems to be the hottest, and they stay together better than any of the others. These were the only primers that stayed together when I shot my open breeched White M-98 Elite, and the ONLY ones I would consider using for BH209 in that rifle in the future.

I've been using W-W 209 with the n-FPJ plug in my Elite and seating the bullet very firmly for the last 20-30 shots and have not had a hint of an ignition problem. Have not had any further issues with primers sticking in the n-FPJ either since I switched to W-W.

I think the FIRM seating is key in stopping the hangfires. I had one when I tried normal seating pressure, went back to seating the bullet really hard and no more problems. BTW I am using Win 209s in a plastic jacket, I like the jacket, glad I didn't have to switch.

I would agree that firm seating pressure is the key. I had no problems with the FPJs related to ignition after I read on this forum the I was too "limp-wristed" with the ramrod. :lol:

I will stick with the Red FPJs and the Federal 209A primers for now based on all the various input. The little extra time to clean up the action after a range session is not that big of a deal compared to having ignition issues.

jsteurrys said:
I will stick with the Red FPJs and the Federal 209A primers for now based on all the various input. The little extra time to clean up the action after a range session is not that big of a deal compared to having ignition issues.

I agree with that!

Im in my 5th can of blackhorn and ive just started shooting without the FPJ on the last can and a half with no problems. Ive just been seating my sabot with normal pressure also. Cleanup is so much easier without the FPJ, ive shot groups both ways, and it doesnt change accuracy. So all my range time will be without FPJ , and hunting will be with FPJ. Ive tried both primers CCI209M and federal 209A to compare groups also, after MPARKS thought primers might be affecting his accuracy, but it didnt seem to matter in my LRH. So im going with whatever is cheapest one.......... :lol:

Latest posts

Back