Knight Long Range Hunter bolt question.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try to end this post with the following targets. Looks like I need to work on bedding or pillars or something with the stock. Also a real consistent hold on the bench. Although not sure a 325 gr bullet @ 1800fps is what I consider a long range gun. At least these are acepable 100 yard groups. Thanks for the tips and advice.
LRH%20325FTX.jpg

My LRH has been glass bedded; converted to bare primer breech plug; added shims to primer pocket to eliminate blow back and changed bolt to Mountaneer style. It will consistently shoot a MOA group with my normal hunting load of 110 gr of BH 209, CCI 209M primer, and Harvester's Black Crush Rib Sabot and 300 gr PT Gold bullet. Not only is it a very accurate load it has performed well on a wide variety of game

I guess it depends on what you call long range? The 70 gr (by wt) and the 325 bullet would be hefty enough for any deer out to 300 yards. I use a similar load (maybe slightly less powder because I use 90 gr by volume) and a 350 gr bullet for elk out to 150 yards. For me with a muzzleloader, anything beyond 200 is long range.

I agree txhunter58. It is relative to what you call long range. I have a custom .45 that shoots BH208 285 gr at 2250 fps. When I first got the LRH Blackthorn just came out. The I converted my Savage to .45 and that is the gun I use. I was hopping for something the wife and grand-kids could use without having to figure the bullet drop in most instances. Also with a little less recoil. Thanks

Back