Knight Long Range Hunter bolt question.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowbender6

Reaction score
In a previous post (viewtopic.php?t=31499) I asked for suggestions I to improve my LRH accuracy. I still can only get about 2-3” 100yd groups with the .503” oversize barrel. I have 5 other muzzleloaders that shoot around 1” groups.

I have basically given up for now on this LRH and was wondering if I can change the barrel or have it relined.

The other option I am looking at is buying a new Knight .45 cal mountaineer barrel if the bolt from my LRH will work with the barrel. I think I can make the LRH thumbhole stock work as it fits my disc elite.

Any Ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Suggest knurling the bullets, if you havent tried that already

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

I have tried knurling them up as much as possible, I think it helps but still doesn't give me the accuracy I get from my other guns. Thanks

Have you tried a .458 bullet in a Harvester Black Crushrib? They will be pretty tight still in a .503 bore.

Barrel to stock fitment issue most likely issue.
Possibly try in different stock. Unlikely barrel is issue.

Tried .458 bullets. Barnes original 300 and 325 FtX with mmp sabot and black crush rib. They are tighter and have shot the best but still around 2" groups.

Not ruling out the stock but I bedded it and the barrel is floated. Torqued rear screw in the hold down tang to 25 ft-lbs.

I've owned at least 25 maybe 30 different Knights from old to brand new and have never seen one with a bad barrel, agree with Jeff more then likely something to do with the stock.

bowbender6 said:
Tried .458 bullets. Barnes original 300 and 325 FtX with mmp sabot and black crush rib. They are tighter and have shot the best but still around 2" groups.

Not ruling out the stock but I bedded it and the barrel is floated. Torqued rear screw in the hold down tang to 25 ft-lbs.

Not sure if this is matters but I think this was one of the last ones they made. All the Knights I have and my buddies long range hunters are good shooters. The average group size for this LRH is 2.3 inches. When it does shoot a group closer to 1 inch it is not repeatable.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I was thinking that some of the guys with the long range hunters shot without the rear mounting screw . Maybe that is something you could try ?

Somethings causing it then if it will shoot a 1 in. group once then it should always do it unless some other factor is causing it..barrels don't change just shooting them but the shooter/loading procedure etc. does..could be the way your putting pressure on the forearm when shooting, load/bullet pressure?

bowbender6 said:
Not sure if this is matters but I think this was one of the last ones they made. All the Knights I have and my buddies long range hunters are good shooters. The average group size for this LRH is 2.3 inches. When it does shoot a group closer to 1 inch it is not repeatable.

Hadnt thought about it that way, but it makes sense. I shot most of the muzzleloaders of a led sled with 20 lbs weight. I try to make sure the sled can slide freely and doesn't have much weight. The LRH has a different stock feel and I think you might be right about the consistently. I will shoot it off bags. Thanks

bowbender6 said:
Hadnt thought about it that way, but it makes sense. I shot most of the muzzleloaders of a led sled with 20 lbs weight. I try to make sure the sled can slide freely and doesn't have much weight. The LRH has a different stock feel and I think you might be right about the consistently. I will shoot it off bags. Thanks

Just some things to think about when it comes to barrel and barrel channel fit. I wrote this several years ago in response to a fellow shooter

Checking the Fit of Knight stock

Rob, relieving the stickiness of that should be a really easy fix....

I wrote this up for a guy on Hunting Net the other day - i will repost it here. Look through it and see if it makes sense to you. I firmly believe the sticky stock will affect your accuracy...

Can i get a little info on making sure i don't have any stock to barrel issues? I have seen info on tv about how a free floating barrel helps and heard of different procedures of seating the barrel. I will be putting a new stock on my gun very soon (broke the original one), and don't want to have issues there.

I can share some information with you for sure... One thing to remember 'floating' a barrel is not the best for accuracy it is the ‘cheapest’ so that is why you see many companies floating barrels. Companies can not afford to spend the time (money) bedding a barrel to the stock properly so the best thing is to 'float' them. With a wood stock the temperature of the barrel on the wood will make the POI change unless they barrel is bedded in glass or some such feature. In a composite stock if the barrel were bedded into the barrel channel correctly the heat would not be a problem but the flexion of the forearm of the inexpensive stock create a POI shift - so the answer 'float' the barrel.

In your case... since I think you said you have a Knight and if you are getting a Knight composite stock you might not have any of these problems. When I put a barreled action in a Knight stock I set the action in the stock and start the lug screw in. Tighten it with the Allen wrench until it starts to pull the action down. Then stand the gun vertically with the recoil pad on the floor. Gently, and honestly i am not that gentle, tap the gun on the floor to assure that the recoil lug is all the way back in the pocket. Then tighten the lug screw up snugly to hold it all in place. Forgot to say make sure the ram rod is not in place.

When you have the lug screw in tight place the gun in a horizontal position and squeeze the nose of the forearm and the barrel together as tight as you can. If there is no movement – you’re done the barrel is seated on and in the barrel channel. Put the ram rod in and repeat the test. If the test is the same you’re done... go shoot it and give it a check for accuracy.

If during the squeeze test (ram rod removed) the barrel moves down into the stock or the stock moves up to the barrel... release the grip and note if the barrel moves (on its own) back to the original location. Everything should be good - the barrel is floating. Next repeat the test again noting where the barrel returns to. At this time grip the barrel and the forearm of the stock and pull them apart easily. If you feel the barrel stick at some point then you have a problem. If the barrel appears to lift slightly but when you release it - it returns to the original location and you feel no points of stickiness - you are good. Put the ram rod in and repeat the test.

During the squeeze testing if you felt some stickiness in the spring of the floating barrel you will then to do some very light sanding in the barrel channel to relieve the tight spot. You might be able to locate the tight spot by running a dollar bill under the barrel and between the stock to locate the tight spot. Do not sand any more than you need, in fact in my little world the thickness of a single dollar bill is the max thickness the barrel should be off the stock. I normal use a strip of white computer paper for this test it is thinner than a dollar bill - heck it might be worth more than the dollar bill also!!!

Hope this might help you... when you get your new stock and if I can help give a shout....

Every long range hunter ive touched shot better with rear action screw fork deal shot better with it removed.

Stick barrel assy in a different stock and try it.

Bestill , I'll try shooting without that rear holddown and I can see if it will in my disc elite stock.

I still think I will end up selling this LRH if someone is interested. It just bugs ne trying to get it to shoot. I have four .45 caliber and custom Pancor .45. I really have no use for a .50 as the.45 seem to work better with BH209. This is not really a treestand gun.

Shot 2 100 yrd groups today with .458 bullets and bcr sabot. Loading pressure was firm. I took rear screw off stock/holdown and held the forearm down slighlty when shooting.(The stock is bedded)

325FTX 70gr weighed BH209 1.08" group.

300 Barnes original 77gr weighed BH209 2.33" group.

One good group if I can repeat it, the powder is less which may have also helped. I really can't see me shooting this gun at less than full power loads.It is not what I would call a brush or treestand gun.

On my LRH I had to bed it to get it to shoot good . on the back pace I took it and screwed it all the way down put the barrel on top then sanded the barrel channel to float the barrel then put a pillar in stock and bedded the action and point bedded it and it shoots under 1in group at 100yds if I do my part. you say it bedded take a dollar bill if your barrel is floated point it at a 45 deg angle barrel down then try the bill and see if it will go if not sand your barrel channel. then try turning it a little to the right try your bill. then left side try your bill if not sand barrel channel.

This is kinda off the subject but sometime I'm gonna try to completely bed the forearm like Sabotloader is talking about . I'd like to see if it makes a difference on these lighter weight fluted barrels . It kind of makes sense to me . Just not sure how the barrel will react when it heats up ?

Dougs136Schwartz - I was thinking the same thing, I have bedded the recoil lug but not the rest. I think I will do something to the rear also. Today I had some 1" groups with one flyer 1" vertical out of the group. I think with the heavier charges the stcok and how you hold is even more critical. This might be a summer project if I don't sell it.

Back