Knight Mountaineer .50 verses T/C Encore .50

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats, your a 1% 'er!!! 😁 :lewis:

I know it happens sometimes, but my point is to the OP... I don't think it should be a consideration in picking between the 2.
Well, I can't seem to find the surveys, but I gotta believe there's more than 1% who've had issues remembering the 'dreaded double'. Over the years, I've known a couple others who have.

Now you entered another debate, ultra lite 100%,and in 45 fast twist
Oh NO! Next we'll be adding in Austin & Halleck, CVA, Traditions, Whites, . etc. Throw in other variables such as differing twist rates, barrel lengths, SS vs blued, percussion vs flint vs LRMP systems vs .... my head hurts. I wonder how many safeties .. never mind

I have had an encore, mountaineer and ultralight.
Go Ultralight bare primer. The matte barrel finish is a no brainer compared to the bright finish on the mountaineer.

I have had an encore, mountaineer and ultralight.
Go Ultralight bare primer. The matte barrel finish is a no brainer compared to the bright finish on the mountaineer.
But if he wants sights, doesn't he have to get the Western Version? The 209 version (I believe, unless something has changed) aren't drilled and tapped for sights... or am I wrong?

Not sure if you can order a 209 rifle with sights or not - that would be the way to go if you could (if you wanted sights).

You are correct. I should have been clearer.
I would go Colorado bare primer. I believe the Colorado version it tapped for scope and iron sights.

Based on what feels better to me I have decided to go with a Knight. I plan to order it with the musket cap breech plug and buy a bare 209 breeck plug with the replaceable vents from SSK. I am also now trying to decide between my original choice of the Mountaineer and much as I hate synthetic stocks, the Ultra-lite.
You cant get an UL stock without buying the rifle, Guys here would buy you a new stock of your choice for that UL stock in trade

that’s a great stock for sure, one of my favorites

A new rifle out of the box should not require all the above to improve it. If it was made correctly....I did put a new hinge pin on mine, trigger was great as is. Why have to put another cost of the original gun to make it better? I sold mine for the above reasons. Sorry, just can't see it!!
If I was to buy a Knight it would be a Ultra Lite .45 cal. with 1:20 twist. The secondary safety was my main issue with it also.
I have both knight jltra and mountaineer in .50 cal. Secondary safety never an issue for me. I simply unsafe it once actively hunting and use only the side safety. Nothing but good to say on both. Ultra is for tough terrain and.mountaineer more when in open country.

Back