Knight prices?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
edmehlig said:
Guess this is going to help CVA with their sales??

No question about that Ed. They will be in dire straits for 2016 and may not survive 2017.
Ruger is doing well these days. Maybe they will pull another S&W and buy Knight for a song and dance.

Since I've haven't bought a new gun in I don't know how long, because there are too many good used ones out there, I don't see the fuss considering what's been offered on the market the past few years.
If the Mountaineer and Ultralite are the top model and bolt guns, these prices at $1050 +/- still are not out of line, just not as good as they were.
I believe this is correct as to what I've witnessed introduced in recent years:
2015 Cooper $1600 (base model)
2014 Remington $1300 (priced now dropped to around $900 because they mess up out of the gate)
Ultimate BP Exp $2500 (base model)
1) What other bolt guns are out there?
2) What do others offer that these Knights do not?

For the money I would rather have a Cooper, wont own another new Knight after this price hike..Maybe they are trying to put themselves out of business.. Why buy a production rifle for that kind of money when you can build one that's better for a little more money.. Looks like Im going to be keeping my Mountaineer for a long time now.

Brand new Rem700 UMLs are on gunbroker for under $800. Compared to a Mountaineer its a better rifle and a WAY better platform to upgrade. The action is basically a Rem 40X and a B&C stock with aluminum bedding block. The laminates dont look any different than the Knights. Boyds probably makes both of them.
bellandcarlsonstockinternframe.jpg

Considering a Rem700 probably has more aftermarket support than any other rifle and all of it pretty much will fit the Rem UML....well its kind of a no brainer.

thats my next rifle. I dont even want to shoot it stock. I dont want to mess with the shell primer modules. I was headed toward the HIS system for a while, But I think it will be bare primer, and end up either a Brux, or a Krieger probably .45.

Squeeze said:
thats my next rifle. I dont even want to shoot it stock. I dont want to mess with the shell primer modules. I was headed toward the HIS system for a while, But I think it will be bare primer, and end up either a Brux, or a Krieger probably .45.

That would be a shame not to shoot a new rifle. Why not try to buy an action from Remington instead of the entire rifle for just the action?
The primer cases are easy to de-prime and re-prime and it only takes a few minutes to do so. Drop one in the action and close the bolt. It can be done in complete darkness. Probably not much trade off in time from having to use a sub-base wad.

Prices of everything is going up. Just ask the "little woman".........

that action, is basically a 40x with a solid bottom. the price of the gun is worth it for the action alone, and its the only way to get it

I THINK it was cMcfirearms that is making 209 bare primer bolts for Remington 700s. Im not sure if he is still taking orders or has any left in stock. His name is Cole and can be reached on Dougs board.

Personally i find the HIS system to be fascinating. The modules appear to be very well "thought out". A drop in replacement HIS breach plug for the UML would be kinda cool if someone just wanted to use subs. It would put a stop to short primer carrier life that plagues the Rem and UF design.

GM54-120 said:
I THINK it was cMcfirearms that is making 209 bare primer bolts for Remington 700s. Im not sure if he is still taking orders or has any left in stock. His name is Cole and can be reached on Dougs board.

Personally i find the HIS system to be fascinating. The modules appear to be very well "thought out". A drop in replacement HIS breach plug for the UML would be kinda cool if someone just wanted to use subs. It would put a stop to short primer carrier life that plaques the Rem and UF design.

You bet :yeah:

Woooow that's just to much for a none custom gun. it does look like knight's sales will be going down after this. looking to see what T/C will be doing next.

ENCORE50A said:
GM54-120 said:

Personally i find the HIS system to be fascinating. The modules appear to be very well "thought out". A drop in replacement HIS breach plug for the UML would be kinda cool if someone just wanted to use subs. It would put a stop to short primer carrier life that plaques the Rem and UF design.

My best WAG is that it would also make the UF Ultimate and Rem Ultimate very BH209 friendly too since he also uses a tungsten bushing in his plugs. ;)

GM54-120 said:
ENCORE50A said:
GM54-120 said:

My best WAG is that it would also make the UF Ultimate and Rem Ultimate very BH209 friendly too since he also uses a tungsten bushing in his plugs. ;)

There's no guessing, VERY BH friendly! With the head space fit right, nothing either rifle couldn't do better. An UNBELIEVABLE cost savings in propellant. :yeah:

Sad to say that a company that had a chance to be on top of the M/L market has just carved another notch in it's 'We don't want to listen or stay in business" belt.

Greg

Well, they are the only 100% American made. They have a custom proprietary action (similar custom actions normally sell for around the price of the entire gun) The quality is well above the competition (both of them. Or all three to include all other commercially available options) and still way less than the prices of the usual custom market. It has many aftermarket parts available, plus factory service (albeit not perfect, but who hasnt seen similar reviews of TC/CVA/traditions service? They all have good and bad days) Compared to the prices of everything else the increases on gun production sales prices has not skyrocketed daily. (I can buy lobster near me cheaper than beef on a regular basis) If I were in the market for a new gun, I would STILL pay Knight prices before I bought a TC/CVA/Traditions. Sure I may grumble, But I will be happy with my purchase in the end.
Just Like the tools I buy to work with. Sure I could get them cheaper, But I will pay for the better quality every time. If you make one cut a year, a harbor freight POS will get you through. But If you cut wood all day every day. That cheap saw falls apart quickly.
Knight WILL have a following, as long as they are available. In my opinion, worse than a price increase, is the day they go out of business. I would bet most White fans would happily pay those prices to buy a new factory model.
A Prius can do.... most of the things a pickup truck can do, and cheaper. But when you need a pickup truck, the joy over the price of that prius wont fill the gap

Squeeze, pretty good response.

Manufacturing costs go up. Always have, especially on quality items. Whereas a lessor quality item, remains a lessor quality item, with a manufacturer who will find further cost cutting measures (normally at the expense of the consumer).

Dad, R.I.P., always used to say, "If you don't have the money or time to do it right the first time, where will you get the money or time to do it over?"

Lots of advice to Cooper, yet I've yet to see any shooting posts of the rifle here. Price? How about Knight building a new .32? How many would they sell because of the cost to manufacture? Some never have enough for less I guess.

You would see less grumbling about the price if the customer service was as good as it was when i bought my first Knights. They were not even selling rifles when i bought mine. Service then was Grade A+ from a company with one foot in the grave.

GM54-120 said:
You would see less grumbling about the price if the customer service was as good as it was when i bought my first Knights. They were not even selling rifles when i bought mine. Service then was Grade A+ from a company with one foot in the grave.

Customer service is another thing we've lost over time, and with many different things. Go out of town and purchase an ATV because you can get it cheaper, then try to get the factory warranty work completed by a shop in town. You call customer service about some product and end up talking with someone in India you can't even understand. Also the consumer's attitudes have changed to more impatience, even with top companies and "life time" warranties. One may grumble but, is the legitimate issue eventually resolved?
There seems to be a lot of grumbling with T/C, CVA and Traditions customer service at times........

Latest posts

Back