Knight Ultra Lite bullets? Barnes TMZ’s WAY to tight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Usmc22

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Shot the new Ultra Lite today mainly to get familiar with it and check to see if I’d need to upgrade my breech plug (because of blowback).

Here is a pic of the 4 CCI Mag Primers I used. (2) for fowling the bore and (2) shots.

I’d really like to hear some suggestions on bullets for a knight ultra lite 50 cal. There is absolutely no was I’m going to be able to load 2 shots consecutively. I’m using a Lehigh range rod and using leverage and its just not happening. Also swabbed between shots.

I’ve got Barnes TMZ’s 250, 290’s and Hornady SST’s 250’s I’ll try next time. Weather is sleet / rain here so I’m shooting out of the house (benefits of living in the country). Anyways, open to suggestions...

Considered purchasing bloodlines pre sabotted from Knight. I need a round that will perform hunting.

Attachments

• DAEACC91-7842-4732-9978-6EE910324325.jpeg
    DAEACC91-7842-4732-9978-6EE910324325.jpeg
    26.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
From my experience with my UL, I would suggest to just keep shooting it and it will loosen up some. I’m not sure what it is, maybe the Dyna-Tek coating, but mine really loosened up at around 50-60 shots. When I first got mine the only thing that loaded smoothly, and without distorting sabots, was a .451 and the three petal EZ load sabots. A .458 bullet in any combination of sabot was too tight.

@4gun-drill I don’t think I’ve got 50-60 shots in me with the way these things load... It would be a huge PITA

I am using 250 grain tmz yellow sabot with 85 grains by volume bh209 and w209 primer. I can shoot 20+ round without cleaning. You may want to slug the bore for measurement.

You're doing Hampshire correct? Are you near the seacoast area?

New barrel with dynatek needs to be fired as fast as you can, get it HOT to cure the dynatek coating, for about 8-10 shots. As mentioned above it will slick up nicely after 20-40 shots. I’ve encountered the same hard loading as you on at least 3 new dynatek knights. I use harvester crush rib sabots. Good luck. :lewis:

New barrel with dynatek needs to be fired as fast as you can, get it HOT to cure the dynatek coating, for about 8-10 shots. As mentioned above it will slick up nicely after 20-40 shots. I’ve encountered the same hard loading as you on at least 3 new dynatek knights. I use harvester crush rib sabots. Good luck. :lewis:

This isn’t possible with the current bullet / sabot I’m using and would seem against everything written in the manual.

Swabbing /cleaning between shots is recommended not only for accuracy but safety to ensure an accidental ignition does not occur.

@4gun-drill I don’t think I’ve got 50-60 shots in me with the way these things load... It would be a huge PITA

How did the Hornady SST load? Those have the 3 petal sabots right? For me those loaded firm, but not uncomfortable using a range rod. The first time I took mine to the range, I tried loading some bloodlines from the knight assortment pack. They were nearly impossible to seat and tore petals. The Barnes TMZ were also very tight.

If you want you can PM me your address and I will send you an assortment of sabots to try. Once you get the barrel broken in you will love that rifle.

I agree with HC, no need to swab between shots with BH 209. I usually shoot and entire range session without patching. Also, generally speaking you don’t want to get the barrel super hot (rapid shots) because of the impact it has on the sabots. However, heat is what cures the dyna-tek.

How did the Hornady SST load? Those have the 3 petal sabots right? For me those loaded firm, but not uncomfortable using a range rod. The first time I took mine to the range, I tried loading some bloodlines from the knight assortment pack. They were nearly impossible to seat and tore petals. The Barnes TMZ were also very tight.

If you want you can PM me your address and I will send you an assortment of sabots to try. Once you get the barrel broken in you will love that rifle.

I agree with HC, no need to swab between shots with BH 209. I usually shoot and entire range session without patching. Also, generally speaking you don’t want to get the barrel super hot (rapid shots) because of the impact it has on the sabots. However, heat is what cures the dyna-tek.

Really appreciate the offer, I have some Knight Blue EZ Load sabots on order for the Barnes TMZ boat tail bullet.

I haven’t attempted to load the Hornady SST‘s yet and will have to check the sabot.

With it being rain / sleet it wasn‘t a real range session per se as much as a familiarization. I still have to get it dialed in but am happy I didn’t make the trip to the range with as tight as they were loading.

If the Knight Sabots don’t do the trick and the Hornady SST’s give me the same problem I’ll probably venture out to MMP sabots. I’d like to find a hunting load that I can stock up on and begin building a ballistic table for.

I use MMP HPH 24 sabots in my UL with .452 Bullets. You can try the .451s in the same sabot. IF the .451 is too loose you can use the MMP HPH12. I shoot the .452 Lehigh 265 grain CF in the HPH24. Shoots and loads great. Nice firm push down but can do it with the rifles ramrod, need to start them with a short starter. Follow up shots load good maybe a little looser due to the BH Ash. I just recently got some of the 230gn .451dia Lehigh CFs and they load great even with the HPH24, the HPH12 was too tight. I was also surprised by the .400 dia 195gn in the Blue MMP HPH and it loaded very nice for a small diameter bullet.

I use MMP HPH 24 sabots in my UL with .452 Bullets. You can try the .451s in the same sabot. IF the .451 is too loose you can use the MMP HPH12. I shoot the .452 Lehigh 265 grain CF in the HPH24. Shoots and loads great. Nice firm push down but can do it with the rifles ramrod, need to start them with a short starter. Follow up shots load good maybe a little looser due to the BH Ash. I just recently got some of the 230gn .451dia Lehigh CFs and they load great even with the HPH24, the HPH12 was too tight. I was also surprised by the .400 dia 195gn in the Blue MMP HPH and it loaded very nice for a small diameter bullet.

I’ll have to check some of these out. Are you saying a .400 (40 cal) bullet shot with a 50 cal sabot loaded well? Is this not recommended?

@4gun-drill I checked and the SST’s are a 3 pedal and I didn’t try to run it down the bore but it sat about where the Barnes TMZ’s with the yellow sabots did.

Usmc
What did you end up getting for your scope rings?
My new UL has the base installed, still undecided on ring brand.

Try Harvester Crush Rib Black Sabots...... I shoot Barnes TEZ 250 gr. and they did wonders for loading. Call them and Ron or Jeff will send you some samples.... Great folks!

Usmc
What did you end up getting for your scope rings?
My new UL has the base installed, still undecided on ring brand.
It went with a nightforce ATACR. I did a thread on it “knight ultra lite build” with pics in the inline forum. Also has weights.

Back