Knights - Lehighs - Deep Curls

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
I was in the Kennewick, WA this weeked, taking to my grand daughter to different fall ball tryouts... but in a spare moment on Sunday morning found some time to do some shooting.

I met a fellow forum member in Benton City, he is an accomplished Washington hunter but is just making the switch to muzzleloaders. In fact this was his second outing with me and a ML.

Because of the Washington rules, he was in the beginning talking about buying a Big Horn, but I convinced him that the Extreme would be a much better way to go as it would offer more versitility. We discussed waiting for a new Extreme and I think that might have been the plan in the beginning but after his trip over here in April shooting my DISC - he did not want to wait. So we and he ended up getting to Stainless DISC Extremes on line.

I met Steve in Benton City and we drove up Webber Canyon and went to a small area that we could shoot in. Right there at the shooting site we installed his new Western Kit breech plug and the new Tru-Glo sights that he had purchased.

The plan was just to shoot a 50 yard target and get him use to shooting and loading the DISC. After installing the new gear on his rifle ( he brought both guns ) but only got around to shooting the one. The plan was to shoot Speer Deep Curls... .452-300 grain, I started him with 100 grains of T7-3f, a HPH-24 sabot - ignited by a #11 CCI cap...

His first shot out of a clean bore was at 11:00 high, second shot was 3:30 right. He was really getting into this now and asked about upping the powder load. Said he was not feeling any recoil at all, so we moved to 110 grains. He shot the first shot 9:00 outside left. Then he said i could shoot one... I must use a different site pict than he as I hit 6:00 low. He then loaded up to more shots and tagged the target along with his other 9:00 shot... dang good group for second time shooting a ML.

I kept suggesting let's not move the sights right now just keep shooting and get the feel, but after the group we both were ready to try some other shooting ranges. Steve picked out a target approximatly 100 yard out on the wall of the draw. First shot just a bit left and low. Loaded again popped the piece of wood up off the grond a couple of feet and it flew to the left.

I think he really liked the results he was getting with the DISC and the Gold Dots. He made a few more shots - good ones at random targets and we started loading up. We both needed to get back - niether one of us really wanted to but it was Sunday. I had taken my MK-85 and a 52 cal Big Horn, but I was so interested watching Steve - just never got time to get them out.

Anyway somewhere in the packing up conversation he asked me what bullet i used and I showed him the Lehigh's that I had. We also talked a little about the new Knights that were out. I indicated to him if we could convince Knight to change twist rates from a 1-28 to a 1-24 - he should scrap the current DISC and get the new one - several of us are and have been suggesting that move to Knight for some time now.

We just could not get out of there without him shooting some Lehighs. We loaded a .452-250 and we decided to shoot a target board standing on the hill side. I estimated 225-250 yards out he was guessing 200+ (i did not bring my range finder). First shot just to left of the board - in fact it may have gone through but the dust clould was just left.

Then we loaded a .458-300 grain in a MMP Orange. He really wanted to shoot my elk bullet. Shot was just low - I mean it blew dirt up on the target board and left and right he was right there. I asked about the hold and he said he was holding on the middle of the board (member this is open sights).

I think Steve really liked the Lehigh and even though the Speers are less expensive - I bet he will be getting some 300 grainers and calling connies for some orange sabots...

Almost forgot - Steve's first ML target off my phone camera @ 50 yards...

8-7Washastonian.jpg

Latest posts

Back