KRB7 First Imprestions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Well guys just picked up the Knight KRB with SS barrle and black
compos stock today, first thing I did was took it all apart and gave it a good scrubbing inside and out .

CLEANING : Without a dought the easyest ML I have ever cleaned ( 5 stars )

TRIGGER : Clean and krisp 3.5 lbs ( 5 stars ) HOUSING REMOVAL VERY EASY ( 5 Stars )

ACTION : A little rough but I think it will loosen up with shooting and more cleaning still not bad ( 4 stars )

FINISH : ( 5 Stars )

WEIGHT : THEY have it at 8 lbs But I got 7.5 lbs ( 5 stars )

SHOLDERING & HANDLEING : GREAT ( 5 Stars )

OVER ALL : SUPER

I slugged the Barrle and as far as I can tell it is .503.5 so .503 or .504
should work fine.

I bought this gun in hopes that it will be a good conical shooter , If it shoots as good as it built and handles it will not suprise me one bit .

I just got a Digg camera also so as soon as I can FIG it out I will be Posting PIC.

Will keep you all posted on how it shoots and every thing.

lungbuster1
RON G.

That's awesome Ron! Always exciting to get a new gun. I'm anxious to hear how it shoots. What exactly is "Slugging a barrel"? I assume by your post it is measuring the bore. How do you do it and at what point are you measuring it (Inside the riffle groves against the wall or off the outter of the riffleing)?

Cajun

Slugging the bore is were you are taking the inside mesurment of the barrle . It is the most accurate way of checking your bore diam. that I know of.

I did this by taking a Egg sinker a little larger in Diam than the bore on my gun and drive that down through the barrle all the way out the breech plug area then with a set of calipers mesu the egg sinker I will also take a COnical bullet and do the same thing and then compair the readings, In this case it was a 385 gr Hornady G P Conical and it was the same mesurment as the Egg sinker.

Ron G.

Ron,when are ya gonna get to shoot it?I was going to go out today and shoot,but it's too windy,and rainy. Let us know how she shoots. Ron S :)

Underclocked

the hammer will cock just like a single shot rifle or shot gun as long as the cross bolt safty is off you can pull the trigger and cock with no noise
if the cross bolt safty is on you will get a small click but I think that an animal would have to be standing 10 ft. away to be able to hear it . ALSO it is the smoothest hammer action I have ever seen .

where you prime it that block is a little louder if you just push it forward but you can ease it forward with minamal noise.

RON G.

My Extreme is a .503. Buy a bunch of HPH 12's and try 240-260 grain .451 or .452 diameter bullets. I currently use a 250 gr Barnes MZ (.451) and a HPH-12. Using a .452 makes for a harder loading process.

Ron :

I'm going hunting in the morning but plan on a little range time when I come in .

Was wanting to shoot it this afternoon BUUTT like you all it has pored rain here all last night and all of today to . :evil:

Trapcat is sendind me some 460 & 495 gr NE to try out of it also
Right now I have some Hornady 385 gr G P and some 300 gr SABER - TOOTH to try but would really like to try many diff bullets to see how they do.

will keep you posted

RON G.

lungbuster1 said:
Cajun

Slugging the bore is were you are taking the inside mesurment of the barrle . It is the most accurate way of checking your bore diam. that I know of.

I did this by taking a Egg sinker a little larger in Diam than the bore on my gun and drive that down through the barrle all the way out the breech plug area then with a set of calipers mesu the egg sinker I will also take a COnical bullet and do the same thing and then compair the readings, In this case it was a 385 gr Hornady G P Conical and it was the same mesurment as the Egg sinker.

Ron G.

Thanks Ron! All I need now is a caliper. :)

lungbuster1 said:
Ron :

I'm going hunting in the morning but plan on a little range time when I come in .

Was wanting to shoot it this afternoon BUUTT like you all it has pored rain here all last night and all of today to . :evil:

Trapcat is sendind me some 460 & 495 gr NE to try out of it also
Right now I have some Hornady 385 gr G P and some 300 gr SABER - TOOTH to try but would really like to try many diff bullets to see how they do.

will keep you posted Good Luck in the Morning! :) Ron

RON G.

I, too, picked up a KRB7 last week from Natchez in SS/camo stock. I am very impressed with this gun so far. I also have degreased everything and cleaned the bore. I ran a No Excuses down the bore to see if it would cram to a halt 2/3 down the barrel like my Omega does. Nope. Seated through the bore with little effort.

I fired off a primer just to see how dirty the primer area would get when fired. This is probably the only area that the Omega might excell. Breakdown and shouldering comfort are as descibed above. Another drawback might be having to unthread the hammer and rolling block extensions to remove the trigger pack.

I also bought this gun as a conical shooter should I be so lucky as to draw a permit in CO for elk. I will take it to the range and stretch out its legs with some BM3 and a No Excuses 460 gr.

PowderKeg

Sounds like GM holds their barrels pretty close as my KRB7 slugged almost exactly the same as yours. Due to high temperatures and lack of spare time I have not had time to shoot mine yet either. I agree the rifle is a sweetheart for fit and finish. I like the design considerations and the ease of disassembly. My Omega trigger group is a lot more difficult to remove for proper cleaning.

Another drawback might be having to unthread the hammer and rolling block extensions to remove the trigger pack.

Actually this is a plus as in the case that the drop out button should get depressed during a hunt the trigger group will not drop out and can be reseated with a slight grip on the stock. Another guy handled one in the store and had the trigger group drop out ( I suspect someone had already depressed the button and did not reseat the group as mine is quite positive). As far as removing the extensions it is no big deal. The threads are quite long so there is little chance that one would get lost if not seated with a lot of torque. I just finger tighten mine and they are quite solid.

well no range report yet

killed a doe this morning , so morning was shot

I did take it out to shoot it but am going to have to get a scope the old eyes just arn't going to like open sights any more.

will try to post pics after I get the scope on her Hopfully will have some targets to show also.

what do you guys think

silver scope or mat black

I am getting stainless base & rings

Ron G.

Congrats on the Doe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

If you are going for looks, then I'd say silver. If you want concealment, then matte black.

Cajun said:
Congrats on the Doe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

If you are going for looks, then I'd say silver. If you want concealment, then matte black.
Same here! :yeah: Congrats! Ron

Back