..Last Sundays range report..........

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawgslayer

Reaction score
IMG_1739_zpsvhz1fxz4.jpg

Last Sunday was a great day to be out making smoke. Bright sunny sky with very little wind. Temps were high 30's/low 40's. I arrived at the outdoor range around 0830 and got everything ready. Now it's stand around and " shoot the **** " time with the other shooters until the range opens at 0900.
It was then that I noticed I was all a lone on the 50 yard range. 14 other benches empty. Better for me I guess. No body there to accidentally shoot my DIRTY BIRD target.
Today was the first day for me to try T 7, 2F powder. I've always shot Goex but I wanted to see how these 2 powders stacked up against each other. I was really surprised with the out come. For one it's cleaner and the loading is just as easy. Cleaning at the end of the day wasn't bad either. Consistency and accuracy seemed to be a little more improved. My groups were tighter.
I was shooting from the 50 yard benches and started out with 60 grains and increased it slowly until I hit 80 grains. I was using a Hornady .570, 280 grain lead ball and .015/.018 patch. The lube I was using was created by a friend of mine and the loading was a breeze. The percussion caps were CCI's #11. Main thing today was to compare the 2 powders and see if my .58 cal hawken liked it also.
As you can see the first group was at 10 o' clock in the 8 ring. Those were the first 3 shots with a cold gun and so was I. Temps at 0900 was hovering around 27*s. I then trapped the rear sight a little and the next group shows I was in route to the center. I tapped ever so lightly again and the next group brought me to where I wanted to be. I didn't tap on that rear sight any longer.
Was a good day to be making smoke and if any would ever ask, yes I would recommend T-7.

Ray..................... :yeah:

I have shot 777 in a lot of traditional rifles. In fact I had a .54 caliber CVA Mountain Stalker (I traded it to Mountain Devil) that loved 777 and a round ball. Shot three deer with it one day. It was powerful, accurate, and easy to clean. Although I had to put a wad between the powder and the patch or it blew the patch apart. Did you check your patches at all? Also, 50 yards ... some impressive shooting there.

I would recommend 777 FFF for sidelocks in ALL types of weather, based on my experience here in the humid Midwest.

Also, your 80 grains won't produce issues with stuck nipples or bolster screws. But should you go higher and start adding in humid conditions, you should consider Choke Tube lube on those threads. This applicator below works best on those small threads.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/738145/birchwood-casey-choke-tube-lube-3-4-oz

Humidity will also bring-out the crud ring issues with 777. Once you gain experience using 777 and then adapting to these issues, you will be fine using it, for overall, it is cleaner. Myself?.... I chose real black and avoided all the issues. I'm now resolved to using more cleaning patches, but not dealing anymore with crud rings, seized breechplugs, choke tube lubes, Permatex nickel anti-seize lube......etc....etc, after using 777 for about 10 years.

Much rather use the Goex.... someday will try OE or Swiss. Hey, but it's fun experimenting like you are currently doing. We all like to change-up and make things fresh once in a while. Your target holes are fabulous BTW.

Wait - I just saw your signature and your preference for 54s and 58s. The bigger muzzle openings will induce increased chance for crud rings in humid conditions. I had a 58 Green Mountain for several years using 777. From experience in the future, you will find this all-out. The smaller FFF grains is probably a worse choice. On 2nd thought, stick to the bigger granule FF in those big bores.

Bah humbug!! What's next Ray? You going to shoots sabots too?

It's old technology. It's suppose to be dirty, stinky, and smoke like an old locomotive.

:yeah:
Thanks for the comments and replies gents. The info is always helpful.
Dave, I checked my patches and the weren't torn or burnt. Both patches, .015 and .018 just had, best way to describe it is, like a dirt smug on them. They didn't have the normal burnt ring on them.

Ray............... :yeah: ( In case you haven't guessed it yet, I love shooting my 58. I prefer the side locks to the in lines ) :!: :!: :!:

Pete, round balls only for me no matter what caliber or barrel length. There was a lot of smoke but less dirt on my hands, under my finger nails and down the barrel which is OK with me. Can't say anything bad about T-7 Pete.

Pete,

Per Jonathan, I did change to a KNIGHT RED HOT #11 NIPPLE and had no problems.

Ray............... :yeah:

You might in winter. Ignition temps is much higher with T7 compared to BP.

You might be fine, but I don't like to take chances when hunting. I know you hunt in some cold weather.

Back