Lead from old batteries?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enrgizerbunny

Reaction score
Assuming I have a viable way to get rid of the acid, would lead from old batteries be relatively pure or viable for casting bullets? Is the amount of lead worth the work?

You would be better off selling the old batteries to a recycler and then purchasing either plumbing or roofing lead with the money you got from selling. Try putting and ad in craigslist that your wanting to purchase some lead locally.

NO, BAD idea!
Neutralize the acid with a solution of potassium carbonate, creates potassium sulfate+water+carbon dioxide. Not that complicated.

Now, is the problem with the composition or the amount? Or does anyone know? I already have some acid free plates in the form if a battery skeleton sitting in the woods.

Neutralize the acid with a solution of potassium carbonate, creates potassium sulfate+water+carbon dioxide. Not that complicated.

Now, is the problem with the composition or the amount? Or does anyone know? I already have some acid free plates in the form if a battery skeleton sitting in the woods.

From what I've read there would be a possible with composition, the remaining plates in a fully discharged battery should be mostly lead sulfate. At least all the surface area available to the acid would be.

Good lead is not that expensive. Why play with junk to run it through a good gun?

Scrap yards, roofing company's, If you want pre mixed certified you can get anything you want from Buffalo arms co. Shipping isn't that bad. A $12 or $15 dollar box will hold 50 lbs. Old lead plumbing pipe is also good to shoot as pure.

Wheel weights are not a good choice for muzzle loaders at the speed used for black powder . Any alloyed lead such as W/W usually ends up at 12-13 BHN to hard for performance hunting @ 12-1300 fps ,a better option is pure lead or close to pure and will be easier loading . I guess you can try any alloy you find but pure lead has a history of excellence used in muzzle loaders . And cost is not a factor considering the time spent looking for cheap could be spent perfecting your casting and making quality bullets/balls that shoot consistent groups ! Ed

Wheel weights are not a good choice for muzzle loaders at the speed used for black powder . Any alloyed lead such as W/W usually ends up at 12-13 BHN to hard for performance hunting @ 12-1300 fps ,a better option is pure lead or close to pure and will be easier loading . I guess you can try any alloy you find but pure lead has a history of excellence used in muzzle loaders . And cost is not a factor considering the time spent looking for cheap could be spent perfecting your casting and making quality bullets/balls that shoot consistent groups ! Ed

My bad!

I use ww for my 45/70 and 44/40 bp loads, not to make muzzle loading round balls. For those I do buy pure lead balls.
You all were talking round balls and I was thinking black powder bullets.
Sorry.
Round balls = pure lead always.

No sir I also include conicals such as Lee REALS/Lyman Great plains and those in that category loaded at the muzzle that engrave upon loading ! Add alloy to lead you not only increase BHN (HARDNESS) but diameter making loading difficult ,if not impossible . Loading from the breech you can do whatever you want with alloyed lead ,muzzle loaders not so much /respectfully Ed

I use only pure lead for REAL's. . . . I use a much harder alloy for round balls. . .

I use only pure lead for REAL's. . . . I use a much harder alloy for round balls. . .
You can use alloyed lead for round balls because I bet you also use a thinner patch to make the ball fit the bore but a lighter ball is still lighter than a lead ball . Most hunting situations call for more not less weight ,if more penetration is needed you go to a bigger ball (at least for most ) of what is available in the states to eat . Target use it doesn"t matter what hits the paper/Ed

You can use alloyed lead for round balls because I bet you also use a thinner patch to make the ball fit the bore but a lighter ball is still lighter than a lead ball . Most hunting situations call for more not less weight ,if more penetration is needed you go to a bigger ball (at least for most ) of what is available in the states to eat . Target use it doesn"t matter what hits the paper/Ed

The weight difference between a alloy and pure lead ball is not worth looking at. . .
REAL's have the groove at the top of the conical fairly large, and as you go back, each groove is a little smaller.
It can be very difficult to load a REAL that is made from an alloy.

Round Balls shoot just as good with alloy as well as pure led. They kill just as good too.
Pure lead usually weighs out about 177 grains. . . alloy varies between 170 and 175. That 7 grains
is negligible.

The weight difference between a alloy and pure lead ball is not worth looking at. . .
REAL's have the groove at the top of the conical fairly large, and as you go back, each groove is a little smaller.
It can be very difficult to load a REAL that is made from an alloy.

Round Balls shoot just as good with alloy as well as pure led. They kill just as good too.
Pure lead usually weighs out about 177 grains. . . alloy varies between 170 and 175. That 7 grains
is negligible.
You know best (I guess) I"m done/Ed

Back