Lead from old batteries?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was using 150 gr. 777 loads and 400 gr Precison Rifle pure lead bullets, I had trouble with over expansion (over 1 inch) and under penetration on elk. The old bison hunter Frank Mayer used 1:16 tin:lead (BHN about 12) for bison out to 300 yards and more shooting a .45 caliber with 120 gr. black powder and 550 gr. bullet.

16-1 mix is mostly used for Long range - 1000 yards plus BPCR target shooting to keep the nose slump in check. Most hunting bullets are 30-1 for BPCR and 40-1 for muzzle loader.

Try spitting in the cap /and the primer as I shoot all day 60-70 shots shooting long every week and I do not have a problem !I used to have that problem (ABOUT 4 yrs ago) ,now no more Try it it works/Ed

That has been about the max for me also but in 45cals. After 80grV of Bh209 you are simply pushing soft lead too fast across the rifling. Depending on the lube somewhere after 1400-1500fps leading will get much much worse. No real reason to go much faster than 1400fps anyway shooting soft lead. It performs just fine in the 1200-1300fps range.

Back