Leaving CA for AZ

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to hear. CA is losing their taxpaying population fast. Worked with grape farmers closely and good time to bail as water issues and too many growers don't bode well. Enjoy living and shooting in AZ.
Yep, CA self destructing at an alarming pace. After 43 wine harvests, I'm MORE than done. 30 years ago, I was proud to be from CA. Can't wait to change my license plates FAST.

Yep, CA self destructing at an alarming pace. After 43 wine harvests, I'm MORE than done. 30 years ago, I was proud to be from CA. Can't wait to change my license plates FAST.
The tax advantage of wineries is fading even faster with only ethanol production as a marginal saving grace. The cost of living in CA is outrageous and finding a place to hunt or shoot can be difficult. May now be risky even traveling with firearms thanks to everchanging gun laws. We were stopped and searched at the "agricultural" border station twice coming and going. When out of state admitting to being from CA may have its own downsides and losing your plates ASAP is wise. I hear theres some fine folks and shooting clubs there. Best of luck.

I'll hold down the fort CH, here in the land of Tallisman and F Ford Coppola.
I'd move too but the boss says we're too old to pull up roots.

Welcome. NM has some good hunting too, and much closer. We reserve about 8% of tags for you high dollar non-residents. Thirty years ago, when I lived in Tucson, the hunting was pretty good for deer, and antelope, and great for javelina. Javelina is great eating if processed right.

Well....25 preference points weren't enough to draw a unit 61 muzzy elk tag. Hard to believe really. Anyway my rifle is at the gunsmith getting set up with peep sights. I might just go up to the hunting area and scout in August as if I was going anyway. Should be a good experience to see and hear some elk. I'm told its still not a slam dunk to draw it next year!

Yes sir. Show Low area.
Welcome to Arizona. I have a home in Show Low and do most of my hunting around that area. Several very good ML elk hunts are available and if you are a resident it will cost a lot less with fewer restrictions then Co. I know a lot of Ca people are moving to Az for various reasons. I hope yours are the right ones.

We came to AZ to escape the ridiculous policies that have ruined CA. I have no plans in trying to change any of the great reasons people live here for.

Welcome to Arizona. I have a home in Show Low and do most of my hunting around that area. Several very good ML elk hunts are available and if you are a resident it will cost a lot less with fewer restrictions then Co. I know a lot of Ca people are moving to Az for various reasons. I hope yours are the right ones.
We came to AZ to escape the ridiculous policies that have ruined CA. I have no plans in trying to change any of the great reasons people live here for.
Glad to hear that:)

Glad to hear that:)
When you get to Show Low look me up. I have some good insight into the hunting situation that I would be glad to share with you after 55+ years. We spend time between Tucson and Show Low and also having recently retired have some time on my hands. I can't figure out how to send you a personal chat or I would send you may email. Anybody know how to do that?

Sure, just click on his name. A screen will pop up, click on " start conversation" the rest is simple. When you receive a message the envelope at the top next to the bell will turn red, indicating you have a message.

Well....25 preference points weren't enough to draw a unit 61 muzzy elk tag. Hard to believe really. Anyway my rifle is at the gunsmith getting set up with peep sights. I might just go up to the hunting area and scout in August as if I was going anyway. Should be a good experience to see and hear some elk. I'm told its still not a slam dunk to draw it next year!

The odds of drawing have been getting tougher every year. Guys with close to max points have been getting tired of chasing the top units and are applying for units like 61. This year in 61 there were 14 guys with 26+ points that were ahead of you. Only 2 of 8 applicants with 25 pts drew. Looking at the trend, you may get lucky next year but nothing is guaranteed. Wishing you luck next year!

F2995C42-85B1-4881-B4C9-FD1296F72A81.jpeg6DB1E05C-8309-4133-9781-F5E8ED27F4E7.jpeg

I do not blame you there. I’m in Fl now & I can’t wait to be able to move out of this state. I had a buddy offer me a place with him to help with what he has goin on in northern Ca. As badly as I want to move from this state, & out of this toxic environment I'm stuck in, there is absolutely nothing on this planet that would ever get me to move to Ca.

The odds of drawing have been getting tougher every year. Guys with close to max points have been getting tired of chasing the top units and are applying for units like 61. This year in 61 there were 14 guys with 26+ points that were ahead of you. Only 2 of 8 applicants with 25 pts drew. Looking at the trend, you may get lucky next year but nothing is guaranteed. Wishing you luck next year!

View attachment 21629View attachment 21630
Wow, thanks for that info. I WANT to think I'll get it next year for sure but now I don't know.

Do not come to n.y. either. Its a beautiful state, great seasons, and good hunting but political B.S. has taxes as high as Cal. And their taking away are rights faster than i age. Wish i lived in a state where people do not tred on people, if there are any.

Bringing this thread back to life. I tried to draw CO unit 76 early rifle last year and missed. This year now with 27 NR points I'm trying unit 40 muzzy with Allout Guiding. Still don't feel very optimistic.

Latest posts

Back