Leaving CA for AZ

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome CHWine:welcome:. What will you be shooting?
Just picked up a TC Impact SB in .50. Colorado is no pellets or sabots so I'm looking at some form of power belts or good ol maxi balls.

I also have a 30 year old TC Express side lock .50 with 30" octogan barrel that I haven't shot in years. It took 25 preference points to draw this elk tag, want to have the right tool in my hands.

Welcome from Maryland. Congrats on the elk tag.
What unit did you draw? You going guided or DIY?
I currently have 28 elk preference points that I will be cashing in the next couple of years. Will be putting in for a muzzleloader tag as well. Even with 28 points I still can't draw the northwest corner of Colorado due to the point creep. Might end up doing unit 40 or 61 when I do cash in.
Keep us posted on your preparation and sighting in for your hunt. Lots of guys on this site that can help you.
Good Luck!

Last edited:
Hello from Michigan. Familiar with the Winery's in Traverse City Michigan??? I spend a lot of time there and am acquainted with the people and fields in the area.

Hey Jack,

Area 61 DIY is the plan. Might pay a scouting guy for a map service. I'm also on a couple of hunting websites that have offered some tips. Luckily I'll be living 6 hours from my hunting area.....instead of 16 like I have been, so I hope to scout some on my own too. FYI I've been waiting all this time as wine harvest is Sept/first part Oct and could never get away.

Welcome from Idaho!
Over the years we had some great elk hunts. Wall tent, wood stove, campfire, Dutch oven cooking, good times. I am the last one standing out of five of us who did this for many years.

Welcome from Idaho!
Over the years we had some great elk hunts. Wall tent, wood stove, campfire, Dutch oven cooking, good times. I am the last one standing out of five of us who did this for many years.
I hear you. We have a group of about 6-8 that have been hunting blacktail here in CA for over 25 years. MANY years of good times and stories. Cheers.

We were bowhunting one December with about a foot of snow on the ground. It started warning up, and the rain came pouring down. We were soaked and went back to camp.
When we winter hunted, we pulled the barrel stove out of my shop. The tent is 12X14 and the 55 gallon stove would warm it up nicely. We were sitting next to the stove listening to the rain pour down, playing cards in our wool long johns, and having a warm drink when we heard, "Hello in camp!"
We looked out and two guys were standing at the edge of camp looking like drowned rats.
We let them in to dry out, and they looked and acted as if they had died and gone to heaven.
Then there was the night a bear got in the tent.
Enjoy your hunt, make good memories, and be grateful for the opportunity.

Hey Jack,

Area 61 DIY is the plan. Might pay a scouting guy for a map service. I'm also on a couple of hunting websites that have offered some tips. Luckily I'll be living 6 hours from my hunting area.....instead of 16 like I have been, so I hope to scout some on my own too. FYI I've been waiting all this time as wine harvest is Sept/first part Oct and could never get away.

Welcome! Unit 61 is not what it used to be but has lots of decent bulls. Should be fun.

Welcome to the forum. Are you moving to AZ for good? Congratulations and enjoy your retirement.

Hey Jack,

Good luck with your scouting and your hunt. Ley us know how things go. Hoping to pick your brain on all things "Colorado muzzleloader elk".

Glad to hear. CA is losing their taxpaying population fast. Worked with grape farmers closely and good time to bail as water issues and too many growers don't bode well. Enjoy living and shooting in AZ.

Latest posts

Back