less than max loads ... better accuracy?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n8dawg6

Reaction score
just wanted to share my experiences here and see what everyone else's thoughts are. i have been reloading for several years now and have always worked on the assumption that i should use a powder which produces the lowest pressures while still providing max velocities for my handloads. i'll load a few at 10% less and work up just to be safe, then do all of my shooting for accuracy with max loads or within 1 g. or so of max.

a couple of things have happened recently which made me think that maybe a different approach could give better results from an accuracy standpoint. first, i have a 7x57 ruger m77 which i was convinced couldn't shoot at all ... until i tried some "weak" factory rounds in it. second, i did some shooting with a new .243 steyr prohunter and by far the best group of the day was with the starting load.

maybe everyone here already has figured this out, but it is news to me :grin:. it seems that less than max loads are consistently producing noticeably better accuracy in my rifles. i picked up some H4895 to try in a .270 and a .243 i own. H4895 doesn't produce max velocities in either cartridge, averaging 100 to 200 fps less at max pressure than say H414 or H4831. but it easily gave the best accuracy in the rifles i shot last monday. here are the details:

all targets shot at 100 yds.

rifle #1: old school remington sendero, .270 winchester. 4-12 leupold vx-1 scope. reloads all have mixed winchester/remington brass, cci and remington primers, and hornady 130 g. spirepoint bullets.

started out with near max load of 59.5 h4831sc. groups consistently looked like this:

sendero1.jpg

not bad, but i want a little better from a heavy barrel rifle. switched to h4895 loads at 43.0 and 42.0 g. (can't remember which is which, they performed about the same):

sendero2.jpg

sendero3.jpg

sendero4.jpg

sendero5.jpg

as you can see, noticeably better groups. it seems like there was one flyer in each of these groups, opening most of them to a whopping 3/4" to 1" or so :grin:. i assumed that the one flyer must be my fault in each case (but note that this is a brand new barrel, not broken in yet), so i shot another group and came up with this:

sendero6.jpg

just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, i shot this:

sendero7.jpg

both of those loads were with 42.0 g. of h4895 and the 130 g. hornady spirepoints. velocity, according to the hodgdon manual, and with the 26" barrel on the sendero, should be right around 2800 fps. about 200 fps less than i could be getting, but hey, look at those groups!!!

next, i tried the same thing w/ rifle #2. rifle #2 is a steyr prohunter in .243 winchester. norma brass, CCI primers, and remington 100 g. softpoint bullets exclusively. the first time i took this rifle to the range, i was going for max loads (around 3000 fps) with h414. groups ranged from 1 3/4" to 2 1/4" for 3 shots. this time i used H4895 for all loads. the max load of h4895 gives only around 2800 fps w/ the 100 g. bullet in this rifle, and the adjustment range is only THREE (3) grains (from min. to max) but lets look at the results!

minimum load h4895 (31.0 g.):

steyr2.jpg

middle load h4895 (32.0 g.):

steyr1.jpg

max load h4895 (33.0 g.) :eek: :

steyr3.jpg

then i tried a minimum load of h414 (37.0 g.)

steyr4.jpg

so there you go ... my initial observations: less than max loads can give better accuracy. i dont consider either of these rifles to produce much in the way of recoil, but even with these low-recoiling rifles the slightly reduced loads were more pleasant to shoot. more importantly to me, using less than max loads (and the resulting group sizes) made the difference between this being a GREAT day at the range, and the last trip being a CRAPPY day at the range :grin:

Yeah...I agree to a point. Especially in .270 and 30-06..RARELY is the MAX load the most accurate one. But by MAX load..I am speaking of a MAX load when using one of the slower-half of powders suitable for said cartridge. In a .270 Winchester with a 130gr bullet that would be a powder with a burn rate between W760 and H1000 or thereabouts.

reloads all have mixed winchester/remington brass, cci and remington primers,

BOY! Mixing components like that would drive me CRAZY! I couldn't even force myself to shoot one group. Are you saying you are loading say .270 Winchester using both W-W AND R-P brass using both CCI AND R-P primers?

:lol: well, to be fair, i didn't mix primers on the same powder charge in the .270. i.e. my bullets w/ 43.0 g. of h4895 would have only one type of primers, bullets loaded w/ 59.5 of h4831 would have only one type of primers, etc. the brass is just old, ive had it for years BUT ... i bought some new remington brass to get things organized. i need to find a better source of primers around here, right now i'm paying $5 per 100 :shock: . seems high

I found almost the opposite. When I work up a load I start at the minimum my manual recommends and work my way up. In almost every case the best groups come at or near the max recommended. However, I've noticed that my manual is conservative in it's max recommendations. Have seen in others(manuals) and on line that max loads for the same bullet are usually higher by a couple of grains. In most cases the velocities I get are right around advertised factory ammunition.

RAF, so far i seem to be on my own here. i was very pleased w/ the results i got with these lighter loads, though. the .270 in particular was a pleasure to be blasting away with at the range w/ those h4895 loads. i think the combination of the long barrel (26") and less than max loads made for real mild muzzle blast and recoil, and it was really laying those groups in there

The beauty of reloading is finding what works best in your rifle. In your case it's the lighter load. I'm sure there are some out there who find the best ones for their rifle are some where in the middle. I've always maintained that each rifle is different and reloaders have to find what that rifle likes.

Me too

I was just reading the post and I'm having the same experience with my .270s, they love to go about 2800 with 130 gr and a little less with 150. I've done 'ladders' and the sweetest spot for me is right there . I am shooting a Tikka and Rem mod'd 7600 and they both get smallest groups on the light end. The Tikka shoots 1 holers like yours with 54g IMR 4350 or 4831 and 130 or 51 gr with 150 gr. :D and opens up to an inch +/- with 57 gr of either in the 130.. The Remmy is doing good to get 1.5 ". I guess an animal wouldn't really notice the difference in 200 fps and once you know your rifle it won't make a difference between a hit or miss either. FWIW, I have had the best reproducibilty and consistency using Varget in the .270 which is nice since it covers a wide range of calibers.

Back