Leupold Ultimate Slam 3-9x40 Muzzleloader/Shotgun Scope

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to buy one inspite of not being a big Leupold fan. I think the reticle is much better then the Nikon BDC in fact no comparison. The best place to buy it right now since Leupold engages in price fixing(gouging) would be cabelas. AS UC told me the other day on a different subject if you go tho their front page you get a 30 dollar discount and not sure if you can couple that with one of their 20 dollar gift cards and they are offering free freight as well. The discounts are on their home page.

Scope

I have the Nikon BDC and am pleased w/it. I see on this site that the US is rated for pellets only. So the question I have is what about us loose powder guys. I can't see anything for us loose powder guys. I shoot loose for the cost but also for the variable types of loads and bullets I can mess with. How do I use the marks on this scope or Nikon to adapt to my particular load or am I stuck w/ their reccomended bullet and pellet load?

Re: Scope

Bucker said:
I have the Nikon BDC and am pleased w/it. I see on this site that the US is rated for pellets only. So the question I have is what about us loose powder guys. I can't see anything for us loose powder guys. I shoot loose for the cost but also for the variable types of loads and bullets I can mess with. How do I use the marks on this scope or Nikon to adapt to my particular load or am I stuck w/ their reccomended bullet and pellet load?

The beauty of this scope is that you can use any loose powder loads as well, you just need to figure out the setting. You are not stuck on just one load and setting. They have already took some of the guesswork out of it with the markings. A bullet doesn't know whether it was shot with 3 pellets or an equivelant load of loose powder, as long as the velocity is the same the trajectory will be too. 120 grains BH209 or 777 should be right there with the 3 pellet mark, 85 grains BH209/777 should be right there with the 2 pellet mark, and 100 BH209/777 grains should be real close to the shotgun shell marking. You can also make your own marks for you particular load, if you notice there is only a 3, 4, and 9 marked on the dial.

ultimate-slam-hero.gif

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shoo ... imateslam/

Read this article about the new IMR White Hots, Knight KP1, and the Leupold Ultimate Slam scope. It mentions something along the lines that you can tailor you scope settings to your load.

http://gunsandammomag.com/cs/Satellite/ ... zzleloader

Busta said:
Also, where is the best place to buy at the lowest price?

Cabela's has them regularly priced at $259.99. They also are offering $30 off an order of $150 or more through mdnight 12/16. Cabelas doesn't charge any shipping on Leupold scopes. This would equate to $229.99 to your door.

This is one sweet looking scope for muzzleloaders thats for sure. I plan on picking one up next summer to try out.

Busta

I have one of them and I really do like the the way it operates and of course it is a Luepold which says a lot right.

NewMexicoElk has one installed on his White and has been using since the beginning of the season. He is really happy about the way it has work for him.

The scope is adaptable - you need to do your part of the home work, but once that is done - ya got it... I also has range finder capabilities - but again requiring a bit of home work.

I got mine mine from Bear Basin Outfitters

Thanks Sabotloader. There is no doubt that it will be a nice scope, just wanted to know how the controls were working. If the 2 & 3 pellet load dots actually followed the trajectories. I am really only interested out to 200 for hunting, but might be fun to shoot targets at 250 and 300. I know I will have to do my share of the homework, but the marks will help to reduce the learning curve.

I have a mil-dot scope on my Knight Disc Ext that works well for stand hunting, but is really lacking in the FOV department even turned down on 4x in the woods.

I too will be looking at the Leupy; my Nikon Omega is clear and reticle is OK, but can't get used to very long eye relief and minimum field of view.

I have an Ultimate Slam on my slug gun, and I'm very happy with it. It's great at the range, and even better in the field. I got my buck the very last day of rifle season, from 125 yards out. He went down, rolled over three times, and was dead before I got to him. (I was excited and ran because this is my first year hunting.)

I prefer the US slightly over the Omega I have on my muzzleloader because it has the 50 yard aiming point that the Omega does not have.

Busta, I wonder if you waited until after the new year and the vast majority of the hunting seasons are over, if the prices might come down a bit. I got mine for $179 from a friend who has an FFL, so I'd think there is some room for Cabela's to offer a better deal than they are right now.

Good luck,
Alex.

Latest posts

Back