Leupold VX-1 vs. VX-2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbaker67

Reaction score
Getting ready to put some glass on the muzzleloader. I have $250 to spend. I can get a VX-1 for right around $200 and and a VX-2 for right around $300. Looking at both in the 2-7X33 flavor because 7X is more than I need where I hunt and more than I need for the distance I'm comfortable shooting at a whitetail off-handed. I've shot my 30-06 since 1980 with a Bushnell Scope Chief 2.2-8X33 and found it to be way more magnification than I need for hunting, but the 8X comes in handy when sighting in. Anybody have an opinion as to whether the difference between the VX-1 and VX-2 is worth $100? I asked a shooting buddy of mine and his opinion on the Leupold was "Go with anything in the VX or "Mark" lineup, and you won't go wrong". I can't afford a Mark I, but I might be able to sweet talk the wife into an extra $50 for the VX-2. I know the glass grade and the glass coating is a little different, but the VX-1 is advertised to offer 92% light transmission. That has me thinking is the VX-2 that much better and would it be $100 well spent, or should I spend that $100 on more powder and bullets?

Thanks.

I would say that the VX-2 is the better scope for sure and I am of the opinion to get the best glass you can afford. With that being said, if I was wanting to save money and was considering the VX-1 I would actually lean more towards the Redfield Revolution. As I understand it the glass between the vx-1 and Redfield are the same? I have looked through one and I would say there was no noticeable difference to me really. Same company, same warranty, eye relief and whatnot. You can pick up a 2-7x33 for a little under $200. There is also the Redfield Revenge, you can get a 2-7x34 at Cabelas for 139.99 and then a $40 rebate on top of that so it would pretty much cost you 100 bucks. Again, that would be something I would consider if I was wanting to save money but I have a VX-3 so I say go for the VX-2. :D

I would agree about the Redfield Revolution vs a VX1. The Redfield Revolution 2x7x33 is just as nice and appears to be nearly identical to the VX1 2x7x33 in the specs. I got two of them when they first came out and got another about a year later.

Thanks for the tip! I'll take a look at the Revolution, after sleeping on it, and before even reading these replies, I had decided to go VX-1. I've heard that when Leupold revamped the lineup in 2012, they made improvements to the VX-I with the VX-1 and likewise VX-II to VX-2. They basically upgraded the VX-1 to be the old VX-2 and the VX-II to be all new with just subtle differences to the VX-3. IF advertising can be believed, there is only a 3% difference in light passed thru between the VX-1 and VX-2. I don't think that's perceptible to my eyes.

I think I'll definitely order up a Redfield Revolution. After doing some research, I found that they are now owned by Leupold - Stevens and made in USA. While not important to some, I'd just as soon put my money into the pockets of Americans. Apparently Redfield is now made in the same Oregon factory even as Leupold. Other reviews back up the opinion that it's pretty much a Leupold VX-1 in a Redfield wrapper. Full lifefime warranty. I've read nothing anywhere, by anyone, negative. Most reviews state something to the effect "Since Leupold bought Redfield in 2010, it's now the Redfeild our fathers and grandfathers knew". All reviews say it holds zero well, and is repeatable. And best of all, one can be had right now for $164 with free shipping! If the opinions are true, that's like getting a $300 scope for a 50% discount. Seems too good not to try it.

When i compared them at Cabelas, i thought the Revolution glass was between the VX1 and VX2. That was the first year production so things might have changed. They sure looked like re-branded VX1s. I tortured the first one i bought. I put it on my 54-120 brush gun and its seen many 120gr loads of BH209 with 300gr-385gr bullets. The next one i put on my Ultra Light Arms and some of its loads are real eye openers too. Ive read about one or two Revolution failures but they appear to be rare.

I had one on my KRB and it has held upto 130 gr. lods of BH launching 265 gr. bullets, It's a pretty stout load. It's now on my .243 and the KRB wears a Bushnell 3200 Elite more of a personal preference thing. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one in fact I have a DISC Elite that needs some glass and it might get a Redfield. You won't be disappointed.

I'm not knocking Leupold they make a great product and are the parent company to Redfield but I tend to notice that their prices run high on comperable products and that is a turn off for me. I have gotten over the whole need a $500 scope thing. Don't get me worng if I had $2000 tied up into a custom build I may stretch my rules and spend extra on the optics but the ones I have hold up very well and I test them hard.

I have a Redfield Widefield 2X7 that I bought in about 1978. It is on the M700 .30-06 that I bought in 1984, and still hunt with every year (when I'm not using a ML or bow). I never have seen the need for a better hunting scope.

A few years ago, I bought a Leupold Rifleman 2X7, and put it on a .22. I was amazed at how much better it performs in low light than the old Redfield. The VX 1 is a step up from the Rifleman, so I personally would be more than pleased with either it or the new Redfield. The VX2 is probably not that much of an improvement to warrant spending the extra money. Just my personal opinion.

Let me throw this at you.

Save up another $100 bucks and get this scope.

http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?cont ... g%20Turret

The VX2 Scope is a decent enough scope. I like them. They have served me well over the years. I just don't think they are in the same class as some of the other optics out there in the $300 price range. Some have been mentioned so far.

For that matter in that price class I would much rather go with with a Nikon Monarch

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?co ... c=exrbSrch

Clarity with the Monarch are far better than the VXII line in my humble opinion and they have 1/4 click adjustments. Nikons warranty should you ever need it is outstanding and johnny on the spot.

Latest posts

Back