Lightweight Scope for NEF Sidekick

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MObigbucks

Reaction score
I have an NEF Sidekick, the original model 24" barrel. I love this little gun, it's light and very handy. I am going to mount a scope on it, and would like to keep it on the small and light side. So far, the two choices I've come up with are a Simmons 4x32, and a Weaver 4x32 shotgun scope. I want to stay away from a variable power, since they are larger and heavier. 4x will work very well for my hunting areas, shots are usually 75 yards and under. In order of importance, the characteristics I'm looking for are A:Reliability, B:Lightweight, C:Short overall length, and D:priced under $200. Any other suggestions? I'm really looking for something that won't add a lot of bulk to a very handy and light rifle. Many thanks for sharing your collective wisdom.

nikon prostaff 4x32. costs $100. i think its called the "rimfire classic" cause its only parallax set to 50 yds (that wont matter, btw, if youre shooting w/ in 100 yds). it works fine on muzzleloaders, i have it mounted on an mk-85 right now. its clear, has great eye relief, and its bright for the money. ive compared it to bushnell and millett silver scopes, and there's really no comparison (although i like the little millett). i suspect that it'll be a lot better than the simmons too . . . but i think that simmons just significantly changed their product design, so i wont speak for them (beats the heck out of the old simmons, though).

if you want to go to a 40mm objective, check out the nikon buckmasters 4x40 and the weaver 4x40. those are bigger scopes, though.

i hear ya on fixed power scopes, i like them too. but another scope you should consider is the nikon prostaff 2-7x. it costs just a smidgen more than the 4x, and its parallax set to 75 yds. eye-relief, brightness, and clarity is similar (i have the 2-7x and the 4x).

Burris 4x20 Mini / Compact Rifle Scope SWFA: $175.95
Burris 4x20 Short Mag Rifle Scope SWFA: $181.95
Nikon 4x40 Buckmaster Riflescope SWFA: $169.95
Pentax 4x32 Gameseeker Rifle Scope SWFA: $88.95

Hey MO!

In the Weaver lineup I really like the K2.5. I've owned a couple of these over the years and it really has everything you are looking for. 9.6 inches long, weighs 7.1 ounces, and I've had not reliability issues whatsoever. The K4 at 11.5 inches is a long as many variable power scopes, so you know....

At 10.47 inches long and weighing 9.3 ounces the Leupold FX-II 4x33 would be a GEM of a scope but at about $270.00 is out of the price range you specified.

I also like Nugs recommendation of the Burris 4X Short Mag #201311... I have several of the Burris compacts and they ARE good scopes. At 8 ounes and 8.4 inches in length it is tough to beat in the compactness department!

Thank you all very much for the suggestions. I appreciate the responses, and am going to take a hard look at the Pentax.

Latest posts

Back