Load help, please

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjspratley1

Reaction score
I have a Springfield hawken 50 cal 1 in 66 that I just started shooting this year, can't find lead round balls anywhere and have no clue what size to order or what kind, also no idea on patch size or bore lube?? Currently, I'm shooting 110 grains of 777 ffg and tc maxihunter in 350 grain, they come pre lubed, it's grouping well at 45 yards but it's beating the crap out of me!! And after all the research I've been doing most guys are shooting alot less powder and different powder?? It is a cap lock and I'm using #11 Magnum caps?? I don't want to be unsafe or more importantly waste powder, any help or somewhere to start would be appreciated!
Thanks
Wayne

Sent from my RCT6773W22B using Tapatalk

It's always a good idea to tell us what kind of game you're hunting. Your present load will kill anything up to a moose. Your gun is designed to shoot a PRB. (round ball) A .490 ball, .015 patch, and about 75gr of the powder you're using now will be good for deer.

Providing you don't want to take long shots. What's your location?

All the supplies you should need.

http://www.octobercountry.com/

I am hunting just your average garden variety white tail deer, I am located in the farm country here in central NY. I'd like to be able to reach out 100 yds or so bout as far as I can see. But most shots in the woods around here are under that unless your hunting farm fields.

Thanks muley, what kind of accuracy can I expect or should i expect?? I'm used to open sight center-fire rifles, whats acceptable from my set up?? Also should I hunt with a clean bore or fouled?? Oh by the way that website is awesome!! Think I want a custom liver eating Johnson .54 but I'll probably have to get a real job instead of being a woodsloafer though!!!

I'm a timber bum myself, but i'm an old goat. You should get good accuracy. 1" groups at 50yds. Past that depends on how good a shot you are.

I like to hunt with a clean bore, but your gun will tell you that. See how it groups fouled and clean. Then decide how you'll hunt.

wjspratley1 said:
I have a Springfield hawken 50 cal 1 in 66 that I just started shooting this year, can't find lead round balls anywhere and have no clue what size to order or what kind, also no idea on patch size or bore lube?? Currently, I'm shooting 110 grains of 777 ffg and tc maxihunter in 350 grain, they come pre lubed, it's grouping well at 45 yards but it's beating the crap out of me!! And after all the research I've been doing most guys are shooting alot less powder and different powder?? It is a cap lock and I'm using #11 Magnum caps?? I don't want to be unsafe or more importantly waste powder, any help or somewhere to start would be appreciated!
Thanks
Wayne

A 1-66 twist barrel is commonly made for round ball. The size of lead I would get for a .50 caliber is .490 ball of pure lead. Patch size is .015 up to but may be tight .020 . I went to Wal Mart and purchased a yard of 100% cotton red or blue stripe pillow tick material. Wash it in the washing machine but line dry it. That removes the sizing out of it and makes it easier for the cloth to accept the lube. A simple home made lube is Moose Milk, water and olive oil, some use the oil pure, I mix it 50/50. Just dampen the patch, don't saturate it. The size of the patch is easy with pillow tick. Count five stripes over and tear off a long strip.

traditionalrifles027.jpg

here is the strip of pillow tick with the moose milk on it.

traditionalrifles028-1.jpg

Lay the strip of cloth over the muzzle with the ball in the center.

traditionalrifles029.jpg

With the short end of the short starter, knock the ball under the level of the rifle muzzle

traditionalrifles030.jpg

pinch the material of the strip up and around the ball. Like this, then cut the cloth off level to the muzzle. A patch knife works or a very sharp scissors. After the excess cloth is free you now have a perfectly centered round ball in the muzzle. Use the long nose on the short starter to drive the ball into the barrel. Then the ramrod finishes the ball to the bottom of the rifle breech where it all rests firmly on the power charge. Now cap the rifle with a #11 cap and you are ready to shoot.

110 grains of 777 and a 370 grain maxi ball would be a punishing load. With the round ball knock that down to about 80 grains and then the 177 grain round ball. It is all you need for a white tail deer. Aim dead center for the heart and let it go. That is a dead deer.

Thanks for the tutorial Cayuga, I'm going to give her a try, headed to Wal Mart Sunday I'll check out the pillow ticking. Oh and what the heck is moose milk???

Cayuga, re read your response!! Moose milk is 50/50 water and olive oil!! And just dampen it?? I'm assuming so it goes down the Barrell well??

MOOSE MILK All these ingredents can be purchased in the Pharmacy section of your local Wal Mart. except the Murphy's oil soap. That is in cleaning supplies.

Castor Oil 4 oz.
Murphy's Oil Soap 1 oz.
Witch Hazel 4 oz.
Isopropyl Alcohol (91%) 8 oz.
Water (non-chlorinated) 16 oz.

Be sure when making the Moose milk to mix the alcohol and castor oil together first. Then add the witch hazel. Add all of this to the water and shake. Finally after that mixture is all together add the Murphy’s oil soap. Now shake again and it looks like milk. I put this in an empty spritz bottle and on the range hold the strip of cloth in my hand and just spritz the cloth a little. If you think its too wet, ring it out with your fingers. You can also clean your barrel with this stuff in a pinch.

The olive oil and water is another cheap home made lube. I have also used mink oil (water proof for your boots), my own spit that works real good, old timers used to keep the strip of cloth in their mouth as they shot on the range. I even used liquid wrench and it works good. There are so many home made lubes. But Moose Milk is my go to lube.

Wow..so much stuff to remember, I thought trapping was alot!! Ordering some stuff on monday, thanks Cayuga. Anything other info you got for me Im all ears!!

Re: RE: Re: Load help, please

Muley Hunter said:
http://www.octobercountry.com/categories/Patches-%26-Wads/
Muley, my wife officially hates you!! However any other good places online to look for traditional muzzleloading stuff?? I'd like to get a small caliber and a shotgun next!!

In the "New To Muzzleloading" section there are write ups I did on cleaning muzzleloaders, things you might need, and a discussion on powder types and how they might work for you. Also others have written some real good information in there too. Might be worth looking into.

wjspratley1 said:
Muley Hunter said:
Muley, my wife officially hates you!! However any other good places online to look for traditional muzzleloading stuff?? I'd like to get a small caliber and a shotgun next!!

LOL - Geez Muley you're even getting the wives mad at you. You must be an over achiever!!!

wjspratley1 said:
Cayuga, re read your response!! Moose milk is 50/50 water and olive oil!! And just dampen it?? I'm assuming so it goes down the Barrell well??

You are correct it is confusing. I was trying to name a couple lubes a person could use. I've put that Moose Milk recipe on forums so many times I forget, new shooters might not know it. Thanks for the heads up.

Muley that is a good store to buy from. But WOW the prices of things have gone up!

Load for hunting

LYMAN Great Plains Rifle 50cal. 100gr FFF will do the job I've shot a lot of deer out to 125 yards with this load. My MOOSE milk consists of equal amount hydrogen peroxide Murphy's oil soap, and rubbing alcohol.Works good as a boar cleaner as well just make sure you use oil afterwards.As to hunting with a foul or clean barrel, I like fouling mine first then reload it, I then run a oil patch down the boar.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

bronko220002 said:
wjspratley1 said:
Muley Hunter said:

LOL - Geez Muley you're even getting the wives mad at you. You must be an over achiever!!!

I thought that too when he posted it. I must be easy to hate. I even turned Jon against me.

Latest posts

Back