Looking at buying a t/c hawken how to tell a kit gun vs factory?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby5

Reaction score
I’m looking into buying me a t/c hawken and was wondering if there is anyway of telling a kit t/c gun from a factory made? What would be a good price for a used one? Which caliber would you recommend.45 or .50 for deer ? Any good places to look besides gunbroker?
Thanks a lot

Utah Gun Exchange
Never fired $400 (or so they say)

LISTING ID: 5045E2DE4B973F2A

I’m looking into buying me a t/c hawken and was wondering if there is anyway of telling a kit t/c gun from a factory made? What would be a good price for a used one? Which caliber would you recommend.45 or .50 for deer ? Any good places to look besides gunbroker?
Thanks a lot
The finish should be a dead giveaway. I’ve not seen a kit gun that looks like the factory. I’m sure they’re out there, never seen it

River if Guns is a good resource also. It has listings from about everyone on the net that sells guns. There are several on there. One on Armslist for $160

A T/C kit gun barrel will have a serial number that starts with a K
And the stock will have a K in the barrel channel by the tang.
I would get a .50 cal and only pay in the range 350 for a factory gun in great shape and not sight unseen,unless you know the person.Look at it good ,check the bore check all function.

The finish should be a dead giveaway. I’ve not seen a kit gun that looks like the factory. I’m sure they’re out there, never seen it

I have a .54 Cal TC Hawken that was a Kit Rifle, Put together by a Traditionalist Type Fella I know here in Town, This is one that you Can’t tell was a Kit? He did an AWESOME Job on it, Looks Factory. My Rice 1:20 Twist Barrel is in this Stock.

I agree with ya, For the most part the Kit Guns are Fairly easy to Spot

Dad took his .54 Renegade kit barrel to have it professionally blued and he finished the stock himself. Only way to tell his is a kit gun is the K in front of the 4 digit serial #.

I was told that the factory had an excess of kits at one time and actually finished and sold them . I cant remember where I read or heard that but I have a very nicely finished gun with K serial numbers.

There are probably a ton of kit guns that Have a way nicer finish than a factory rifle. Bobby5 I would not shy away from a kit gun at all. It just seems the color on the stock (on the ones I’ve seen) doesn’t look quite the same. Not saying they’re not as nice. Just not the same. Compared to my Renegade that is.
The order of precedence for me when buying a new gun of any kind is:
1-how it feels in my hands
2-reliability/reputation/recommendation
3-accuracy
4-looks
If I don’t like how it feels, I won’t buy it. It’s why I don’t own an AR

Agree with sdporter.
I would ask for detailed pictures if buying from an online seller and wouldn't let a "k" at the start of the serial number (normally the way to for sure tell if it was sold as a kit) worry me one bit if it looked good.
Besides normal outer appearance, look for inside bore condition (deal breaker unless willing to have it sleeved, replaced, or rebored), wood fit to metal (don't want big gaps), ask if the wedge pin is nice and tight if a kit gun, ask if set trigger and main trigger work as designed, ask if adjustment screw between the triggers is there (these often fall out, blue Loctite as soon as you get it), ask if it catches and stays at both half cock and full, and look closely around the nipple and in hammer cup (normal areas that are missed/neglected during cleaning). Oh...and ask if it is unloaded! You'd be surprised how many are loaded / have something stuck in the barrel (they should know how to check with the ram rod).
As far as 45 or 50, if just for deer take your pick. I'd probably go with the 45 since they normally eat less powder, especially if wanting to buy and use real black powder.

Latest posts

Back