Looking For A 1911 45 ACP With Clean Sides To Be Engraved For A Gift

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLN1963

Reaction score
My son will graduate from high school this spring and I had an idea for a graduation present for him. I am thinking of having his name, class and high school engraved on the side(s) of a 1911. He has always liked to shoot my 1911 but mine isn't going anywhere until I am 6 foot under (then he can have it). I totally understand that doing this would devalue the gun and I have no problem with it. I am hoping it is something he will never get rid of and hand it down as a family heirloom. Maybe he could give it to his son or daughter upon their graduation and start a family tradition. The best thing is my wife even thought it was pretty cool idea.

The problem I am running across is that most of the 1911s I am finding have a bunch of crap filling up the sides already. I don't think I could sand off the roll marks as they are probably pretty deep. Two fairly clean sides would be awesome but I would be happy with one. I am thinking a full sized 1911 because it will give the engraver them most area to work with. I would like something with decent sights because the basic G.I. sights are pretty worthless. It can be any type, post or dovetail as long as it isn't the G.I. nub. Other than that I don't know if I have any other requirements at this time. With some discussion that may change.

Why am I telling you guys this? Maybe one of you know of a 1911 that fits my needs and can point me in the right direction. I would even consider used gun if it was pristine and what I am looking for.

BTW, this isn't a WTB, it is a help me find.  

A big gun show will probably be your best bet. The vendors have tons of parts for 1911s.

I don't really want to buy a slide for a 1911 because they have to be fitted in so many places: barrel, barrel bushings, frame rails and more. Lots gunsmith time there, $$$$$.

I've got a 1911 with a 1911A1 slide. The government didn't have much trouble making a bastard gun of it.   ;)

patocazador said:
I've got a 1911 with a 1911A1 slide. The government didn't have much trouble making a bastard gun of it.   ;)
Remember, them military armorers weren't getting paid by the hour either! Sitting at their bench kept them away from doing other less desirable details!

Back