looking for advice on first ML purchase

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still new with muzzleloaders and have never hunted, but in Massachusetts, is a muzzleloader not a rifle? Or do they mean center fire cartridges?
You are correct, center fire cartridge rifles, i.e. 243, 270, etc.
When people say muzzleloader, they are referring to a muzzleloading rifle and or pistol.

Thanks for your advice. I think the Remington ultimate is a bolt? Mass requires a ML that loads from the end of the barrel rather than the breach, so as much as I love the accuracy potential I can't, because of MA hunting rules, with that.

UPDATE: I went with a CVA optima V2 nitride. I was interested in Patriot and a Knight, and of course higher end customs, but being a newbie I decided to start with a lower budget ML and learn from it. The Optima is something that can still have great use for, me distance limitations aside.

I also eventually will look into a more primitive ML to dabble with and hang over my fireplace if I can make it safe. That is another chapter for another time....

I just now need to figure out how to deal with ammo components just like I am dealing with with my Rifles.

Thanks to everyone who helped with advice-- I really appreciate it! and Good luck with your ML hunting everyone! Mine Optima should arrive in two days, so hopefully I can get the ML up and running for part of the Mass ML season.
You won't be disappointed with your choice-pretty much any CVA ML will do the job. You can experiment with various load combinations, but as I think I mentioned at some other point in this thread, 150gr of Triple Seven and a 270gr Powerbelt Platinum bullet never failed me. The biggest buck I have even taken was with my CVA Accura with that powder/bullet combination during late ML season in IA a number of years ago. Good luck to you, keep us posted.

I'm still new with muzzleloaders and have never hunted, but in Massachusetts, is a muzzleloader not a rifle? Or do they mean center fire cartridges?
I think the definitions vary based on useage. I have seen muzzleloaders referred to firearms and rifles in some contexts. For Massachusetts hunting, a muzzleloader does not fall under the definition of a rifle and therefore can be used to hunt deer. I was not trying to be technical but my understanding is this:

For hunting many states , (such as Massachusetts), the hunting rules don't consider muzzleloaders or shotguns as rifles. Shotguns can be smooth bore, or have a rifled barrel, but are still referred to as shotguns for that definition and most peoples definition. A shotgun for ATF purposes is considered a firearm requiring a gun license.

Rifles, as far as I know, always have a rifled barrel and can shoot centerfire or rimfire cartridges. A conventional rifle for ATF purposes is considered a firearm requiring a gun license.

Muzzleloaders, can be rifled or smooth bore, are generally also legal to hunt deer with in Massachusetts. They are not considered rifles (MASS does not allow deer hunting with a rifle). Also, muzzleloaders are not considered a firearm according to ATF definitions of a firearm, so they may purchased by anyone of legal age, whether or not they have a firearms license. The ATF, as far as I know, distinguishes A MUZZLELOADER FROM A FIREARM because it doesn't use cartridges which contain the powder, bullet and primer (called bullets by laypeople), but bullets are simply the projectile part of the cartridge. A muzzleloader had those items loaded separately, down the shooting end of the barrel vs the breach. Some states allow breach loaded muzzleloaders and consider them muzzleloaders for hunting purposes, and many states don't.

If I am off on this anyone out there feel free to chime in. no offense taken.

I didn't realize the .45 in has been questionable lately: QC problem?
I was also worried about .45 vs .5 component availability. Was interested in .45 for ballistic advantage but this is out the window with qc problems or a lack of availability of components for loading. Thanks.
Don't forget the 50 can use a sabot ,mine do 45/and 40 cal and all three work in a side lock TC Renegade along with my 200 yd (pocket rocket) CVA v2 Optima pistol with my adapter !!!/Ed

I tell everyone the same thing when its a "my first" topic.

Just get a base Optima V2 and use the money you saved on better optics/bases/ect. Its been around for awhile so they had time to get it right. :p When you decide you really like MLing look at buying something with more features. Its a nice medium sized rifle instead of this BOAT on your shoulder :D

I tell everyone the same thing when its a "my first" topic.

Just get a base Optima V2 and use the money you saved on better optics/bases/ect. Its been around for awhile so they had time to get it right. :p When you decide you really like MLing look at buying something with more features. Its a nice medium sized rifle instead of this BOAT on your shoulder :D

careful , you might threaten your uber enabler status .

Op.... I'm biased but I prefer a good used Remington 700 MLS with the 209 system I sell over my other 3 muzzleloaders.

But you probably have heard what folks say about opinions.

As for the rifle being 'a bolt'... It's a muzzleloader: the powder and projectile load from the muzzle.

Only the ignition source is loaded into the breech... Just like virtually every other muzzleloader.

Op.... I'm biased but I prefer a good used Remington 700 MLS with the 209 system I sell over my other 3 muzzleloaders.

But you probably have heard what folks say about opinions.

As for the rifle being 'a bolt'... It's a muzzleloader: the powder and projectile load from the muzzle.

Only the ignition source is loaded into the breech... Just like virtually every other muzzleloader.
I didn't realize that about the bolts.

Latest posts

Back