Looking into a Knight.....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave19113

Reaction score
I was looking at muzzleloaders.... I have a tc encore barrel but am looking at a dedicated ML. I was viewing all the major ML players and was really turned onto the Knights.... made in America... good reputation....and look really good.... My question is which one...

I like the Mountaineer bc of the bare 209... From what im reading the loaded red disks cause a cleaning problem, plus I like the idea of having a bare bone primer system if im out in the woods and for some reason, forget a red plastic.

I like the idea if the Bighorns prices but for a little more ( about 200.00) I can get the Mountaineer.

Im looking for good, bad, ugly responses

I dont mind spending the extra cash bc I shoot alot but I just wanna make sure its worth it.

Also, does anyone make aftermarket stocks with a shorter LOP? at 14.5 it doesnt exactly fit a broad spectrum....

Thanks

Dave

LOVE the Mountaineer! Its been my go to gun lately, and in my opinion the best ML Knight ever made. I have a .50 now and I had one built to .32 cal Im saving now and wanting one in .52 and getting skeert now that I heard they were going extinct. It just gets grabbed out of the safe first it seems now, over whites, several TCs and even a few customs. bit more money, but im sure you wont regret it. Sportsmans guide has about the best prices I can find.

Thats where I was looking too... Im probally not gonna buy til the fall anyway so I still have time... It seems like every time I look at another ML it has something I really dont want so I turn right back to the Mountaineer.

Is yours a new one (post 2011) or before they shut down?

Both new ones, both green laminate straight stock. ( I shoot rifle lefty, but shotgun ambidextrous.. Im right handed, but found out a long time ago I have a left predominant eye, so I taught myself to shoot lefty, rifles I almost always shoot lefty, but a shotgun i go either way. usually just shoulders naturally opposite the way the bird flies if left to right and I think of which way I shot as an afterthought) it does come with a pretty big recoil pad im sure you could switch for a shorter length of pull. Or Ive seen where people even saw an inch or two off the butt, for a smaller shooter Ive even seen that piece reattached later, in the case of a youth growing into the gun. The only complaint I can see, is I wish there was more drop in the stock. Its real hard for me to dig a cheek in to get low enough for the stock sights, but a scope is no problem

I have a Mountaineer which is a beautiful rifle. It is so darn accurate I can't spend multiple range sessions dialing it in. Mine is a NW conversion, but I agree, the bare primer version is appealing. I saw the best prices at Bob's of Longview, WA.

I keep looking at the Bighorn bc of all the reviews of being such a workhorse of a ML, has for 100.00 a short lop stock available.... its just those full jackets that im not too crazy about....

Exechobo said:
I have a Mountaineer which is a beautiful rifle. It is so darn accurate I can't spend multiple range sessions dialing it in. Mine is a NW conversion, but I agree, the bare primer version is appealing. I saw the best prices at Bob's of Longview, WA.

What is the NW conversion? Is it a hunting regulation or a package needed for out there?

Have you looked at the Knight Ultra Lite? It has a 13 1/2" Lop.

New Knight released the Mountaineer. Closest thing the Old Knight had was the Disc Exteame.

dave19113 said:
Exechobo said:

What is the NW conversion? Is it a hunting regulation or a package needed for out there?

Number 11 cap conversion for the states that don't allow the 209 primers.

dave19113

Have you looked at the new Knight Ultra Lite? That is the newest rifle in the Knight line up. I really do like mine, the Kevlar stock reduces the weight of the rifle and the shorter barrel kinda moves the rifle back into perspective as a regular rifle.

ShawnT said:

New Knight released the Mountaineer. Closest thing the Old Knight had was the Disc Exteame.

My LOP is around 12 3/4 for a comfortable fit..

ShawnT said:

ShawnT said:

ShawnT said:

ShawnT said:

i have a 12 3/4 lop

I bought a used stock and cut it down for my kids. I used my bench grinder to work down the but plate then put a new recoil pad on it. It was a fun project for me and the kids. Then I could keep the original Thumb hole stock for use as they grow. Knights are a great rifle. I love them as you can tell from my signature. I still want to add a MK-85 in 54 and a disc in 45. Then maybe I will be content! NOT.

dave19113 said:
ShawnT said:

i have a 12 3/4 lop

I can usually get by with a 13 1/2" Lop but 13 to 13 1/4 is better with heavy clothes. "IF" you really wanted to, you could still shorten the stock. To get to 12 3/4" you may need to reshape the cheek peice of the Mountaneer and the laminate might be easier to work with. The composites could be done but you would need to repaint the stock of have it dipped. The Stock on the Ulta Lite does not have a cheek peice so shortening it is a matter of removing the recoil pad, cutting off 3/4", remount pad and sand it to fit the stock again. I have done that to 3 Knight composites in the past.

You might call and talk to Knight and maybe they can shorten one for you. Never hurts to ask. :wink:

Love my Knights. I'm a huge fan of the mk's, hard to beat. If I was buying new today I'd probably pick up the UL. Mountaineer would be my second choice. I had a SS Bighorn, and the factory stock was very short, making it very top heavy when carrying. Other than that, great gun.

Latest posts

Back