Looking need help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm thinking of going with the Encore conversion for smokeless. I may be able to buy a .45-70 barrel with a brake already installed.
My smith has no problem as far as the machining but we're not sure what breech plug to install.

Would the Omega adjustable plug from Bestill work?

no doubt an adjustable breech plug is the easiest for setting headspace. I'm unaware of anyone other than Woodman Arms making one for the markets. Any will work once you know the dimensions of the plug.

Well it looks like getting a 700ml rebarreled or an Encore conversion is going to be out of my budget if I were to do it right.
I guess I'm going to have to stick with T7 and BH209 for now.

1698892516475.png

45CAL Replacement Encore Barrels (Brux Blanks)​

SKU: ASG327Categories: Barrels, Build Your Own Muzzleloader, Muzzleloader Packages/Conversions, Rifles & MuzzleloadersTag: Brux Encore

$1,300.00 – $2,125.00

Includes everything needed to start shooting except Powder, Primers, Powder Scale, and Hand Primer (LEE orRCBS )
Arrowhead Gen2 LRMP Module System
See below for more information!

BrakeChoose an optionNo brakeRadial3 Port Side Discharge
Fluting/Carbon WrapChoose an optionNo FlutingSpiral FluteClear

$1,300.00
Only 1 left in stock

Yep the CVA 45/70 conversion is the way to go. There was some talk about converting a Traditions 45/70 G3(?) a year or two ago. Seems that they may be using a really good barrel by Lothar-Walther? That sounded very interesting.

What CVA? Would the CVA Scout in 450 bushmaster be a good option to convert? Bore dia is same as a .45 muzzleloader and not the larger .458".

Last edited:
What CVA? Would the CVA Scout in 450 bushmaster be a good option to convert? Bore dia is same as a .45 muzzleloader and not the larger .458".
That is what I said as well a couple weeks ago. But for some reason unknown to me the 45-70 is the better option. The 45-70 does have a bunch of bullet choices I know for reloading so maybe that's it.

Maybe a longer chamber for more powder volume? Or for head spacing/barrel trimming?

This is just turning into a hassle. At this point I'm not sure if its worth the trouble or the cost. To do it right would cost well over a grand and I don't have that amount to spend.

The 450 Bushmaster has been done but I believe you limit your bullet selection compared to the 45-70 barrel. As far as I know, there are no sizing dies available for a .452 barrel so you would have to have one made from a barrel drop.

View attachment 38491

45CAL Replacement Encore Barrels (Brux Blanks)​

SKU: ASG327Categories: Barrels, Build Your Own Muzzleloader, Muzzleloader Packages/Conversions, Rifles & MuzzleloadersTag: Brux Encore

$1,300.00 – $2,125.00

Includes everything needed to start shooting except Powder, Primers, Powder Scale, and Hand Primer (LEE orRCBS )
Arrowhead Gen2 LRMP Module System
See below for more information!

BrakeChoose an optionNo brakeRadial3 Port Side Discharge
Fluting/Carbon WrapChoose an optionNo FlutingSpiral FluteClear

$1,300.00
Only 1 left in stock
This is what I went with and couldn't be happier. Well under sub moa with the Arrowhead NSR bullets. I will be trying the Pittman's in the spring just for fun.

I would go to GunBroker.com and look for an USED Ruger No.1 or Ruger No.3 single shot rifle. I love my No.1 & 3. Being a large caliber they won’t be shot a lot.

Latest posts

Back