Looking need help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found a NIB CVA Scout in 45-70 on Gun Broker for under $400 so I ordered it like 15 mins ago.
I'll shoot it a bit as a .45-70 to see how it shoots then get it bored out and threaded for a Hankins BP.
Michigan looking at those pics I would suppose you could use a .451" bullet in it as it should be a little more than a slip fit. They may just prove to be really accurate.

Last edited:
CVA scout has a 25in fluted stainless barrel with a brake. The hunter has a 22in low grade barrel and the older break action trigger group. You want the scout.
I believe that the hunter has the longer barrel. 25” w/o a brake. What ive heard about the hunter is its as good as the scout ss barrel. But never shot one.

I have several No.1 and No.3. .458 to .22 Hornet. My shoot my No.3 in .22 Hornet the most other than black powder and when I was young it was my .458, now that I am old my son loves it and I stick to my 45/70. I liked big bore, because I get a lot of bang for the buck. Firing fewer cartridges and satisfying feeling with great accuracy. The .458 curb my anger when frustrated and getting divorced 35 years ago. After a box, it was impossible to get angry And you are too beat up. Life is good and black powder is glorious.

I have an email in to Hankins to see what would be the best BP to use for a CVA Scout conversion to smokeless muzzleloader
My money is on him saying his is the best. Wouldn't you be better off having some conversations with people who have or have tried a couple different plugs instead of a person who makes them, you know.... real world experiences? I don't know anything about his plugs but in just about every conversion having been done one plug or another seems to shine, after the plug has proven itself.

Ask the question over on Hank's Message Board. Lots of CVA conversion users over there.

If the barrel is not rated smokeless powder than the answer would be no.
I'm asking solely about the barrel. I've heard from a couple smiths that the barrels are all made from the same material. What makes them not rated as smokeless is the breech plug. I certainly wouldn't want to blow up my rifle or myself!

I'm asking solely about the barrel. I've heard from a couple smiths that the barrels are all made from the same material. What makes them not rated as smokeless is the breech plug. I certainly wouldn't want to blow up my rifle or myself!
If one could absolutely verify that the barrels are made of the same material and have a certain psi rating then maybe so, me personally I wouldn’t take the risk. There must be a reason smoker barrels have a label on the barrel for specifics.

If the barrel is stamped "Black Powder Only" then the answer is no. If the barrel was rated for centerfire such as 45/70 then yes but I would determine the max pressure that particular barrel can handle to determine your safe smokeless powder load.

Back