Looking to buy a new bow

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cur_dog

Reaction score
Going to finally get me a new bow. I have had my Pearson Spoiler since 1990. Shot a friend's bow that other day and the let off was great. My bow is set at 75 pounds right now so I guess i'm looking for a bow that can be set to that or higher.

What's out there now, which ones do I avoid? Money is a factor. Would like to stay under 350 is possible.

Thanks

I shoot a Martin Phantom II and for the money, I think you're getting a lot of bow. I don't see it on their web site, but two of my friends shoot the Jaguars and have no complaints.

Thanks, I'll check those out. Went to Gander Mountain last night and a lot has changed since 1990. The only thing I have bought for it since is arrows and broadheads.

You've already seen that there is a big differnce between the current bows and bows from the 1990 era. What impressed me the most was the let off. My old bow had little let off. I had it set at 55 lbs and at full draw if was till about 45 lbs. My arms and shoulders got a little tired after holding waiting for the right moment to shoot. My new bow, Champion Stinger, is Canadian made and I have it set at 55 lbs. I'm not recommending it because it's likely not available on your side of the boarder. At full draw I'm only holding about 8 - 9 lbs. It's easy on my old arthritic shoulders :p .

I hear you on the let off. Not sure what my old Spoiler is but it's not much. Those bows last nigth at Gander Mountain were nice. Lots of bows for under 300 bucks.

That sounds pretty reasonable. Of course all the bows here are in Canadian funds and there is a difference :( . I didn't buy mine because it was Canadian made but because the shop was limited to choice. Some of the more well known brands were way out of my price range. As it was I paid between 500 and 600 Can. :? Oh well, I like it and I went with Carbon arrows, mechanical broadheads and plastice vanes. Works for me.

Mathews.....MQ32 all the way up to the Swichback.
I personally shoot a Q2.

Mathews are more money and carry a higher resale value, but it's the Cadillac :D
Customer service is 2nd to NONE! Even on used bows. Send em' in they fix em' and send em' back. No questions....like Knight rifles! 8)

I thought one of my limbs might have a very, very, slight twist in it. So slight the dealer disagreed with me. We sent it to Mathews and they sent it back with new limbs, cables, pulley, and cam.
The riser was the only thing they didn't change. Oh, and a new string!
My bow is now as new and 3 years old! :shock:

Mathews are more money and carry a higher resale value, but it's the Cadillac
Customer service is 2nd to NONE! Even on used bows. Send em' in they fix em' and send em' back. No questions....like Knight rifles!

ABSOLUTELY! I've owned MANY bows and I can tell you once you've had a Mathews you'll wonder why you wasted your time with anything else! They are not cheap but WELL worth EVER PENNY! You'll use it for YEARS with nothing more than a string change! This is the absolutely the best advice you EVER get!

I am not a bowhunter but have shot a few bows messing around with friends. I do enjoy shooting targets with them and have often considered getting a bow myself. I have not shot alot of different bows and must admit ignorance on the subject. One bow I did shoot some years ago that seemed really nice and easy to hit with was a Hoyt. Now I see the consensus is that Matthews is the best. How do the Hoyts stack up against the Matthews?

I have shot both...Hoyt makes a great bow also. Both are comparativley priced. But I have noticed something....

The Hoyt owners I know now, and the ones I have known in the past all have one thing in common. They may have a Hoyt today and something else tomorrow. They stay with Hoyt a year or two and then they switch to anything and everything but a Mathews. They resist Mathews because Hoyt competes with Mathews.

Once you become a Mathews owner, you don't change...EVER!
I can't think of ANYONE who left the Mathews camp for another brand, but I know many who left Hoyt for AR, Bowtech, PSE, etc.

But IF I didn't own a Mathews, I would most likely shoot a Hoyt. :D

When I go back to Gander Mountain I will see if they have any Matthews. I pulled back some Brownings and one brand that started with a D. One nice thing about GM is they will let me try out as many as I want.

Starts with a D?....probably Darton.

You won't find a Mathews at GM or any box store.
At least I've never seen any there.

Has anyone seen one at a GM?

No, I have not seen any Mathews bows at Gander Mountain. I bought my Switchback at a independent archery shop. I don't believe you can find them from mass retailers.

I agree with Spitpatch, the Mathews is the best way to go, but expensive.

Also one thing to consider is P&Y considers bows up to 65% let-off for the record book. They do allow higher let-off taken deer to be entered, but they place an asterisk by your record.

From the P&Y reg's:

Effective January 1, 2004, animals taken with bows have nominal percent of let-off greater than 65 percent shall be listed with an asterisk (*) in the Records. It is recognized that variations in draw length and/or draw weight can affect the percent of let-off on compound bows. For these reasons minor variations in let-off are acceptable

Rifleman said:
I am not a bowhunter but have shot a few bows messing around with friends. I do enjoy shooting targets with them and have often considered getting a bow myself. I have not shot alot of different bows and must admit ignorance on the subject. One bow I did shoot some years ago that seemed really nice and easy to hit with was a Hoyt. Now I see the consensus is that Matthews is the best. How do the Hoyts stack up against the Matthews?

You got to give it a try. I used to just shoot targets for fun and didn't want to hunt with mine. I finally gave it a try. It's a whole different kind of hunting. It's a rush. After the first year, didn't get anything, rushed out and bought a new and better bow with all the bells and whistles and really enjoy hunting with it.

I've owned two PSE's, my most recent one is a Firestorm Lite... It's a compact fast shooting bow. It draws well at 60 lbs and is enjoyable to shoot. Still I could improve upon it. I've heard raving reviews about Bowtech and Forge Bow Co.'s products. Has anyone used either or have any knowledge about their product?

http://www.bowtecharchery.com/

http://forgebow.com/

I have shot my friends Bowtech - Constitution.

Its a long bow with good brace height. It also was a very quiet
bow.

The parallel limbs really helped to reduce the recoil.

It would be my second choice behind a Mathews.

Really sounds like the Matthews are THE bows to shoot. I will go to local archery shop to check them out. Afraid they will be a little to much $$$ for me though. Might just wait untill summer and save up some extra cash. Sometimes thats the best thing to do, get what you pay for so to say.

Spit, thanks. Shot those two deer this year about 45 minutes apart. The skeeters were very bad this year. Your buck is very nice. Looks like my
1 1/2 year old filly with horns!!! How much did he weigh?

Back