Looking to buy a new bow

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the compliment jims, but the credit has to go to their mommies :lol:

Nice deer Spit :applause: It takes two East Texas deer to make one Magilla's! My heaviest deer to date was a 5 1/2 year old that went 170 pounds. What do them deer up there eat? Whatever they east I wish it grew in East Texas!

I would be interested in finding out more about the bow. Heading out in the morning to get a load of hay, probably be back around 1:00 CT.

Can I call you? PM me your phone # or I will send you mine.

Going to finally get me a new bow. I have had my Pearson Spoiler since 1990.

One thing that you will notice when buying a new bow today is that they are almost all low wristed handles.

I assume your 1990 Pearson had a high wristed handle, as most were back then.

It cost me a nice P&Y 10 pointer, because I instinctively shot the low wrist handle with a high wrist. Old habits are hard to break. I torqued the bow and wounded the buck in the shoulder. It was a hard lesson learned.

It takes a lot of practice to get use to, but better in the long run.

cur_dog said:
Going to finally get me a new bow. I have had my Pearson Spoiler since 1990. Shot a friend's bow that other day and the let off was great. My bow is set at 75 pounds right now so I guess i'm looking for a bow that can be set to that or higher.

What's out there now, which ones do I avoid? Money is a factor. Would like to stay under 350 is possible.

Thanks

In the $350 range I would look at the PSE bows. 12 years ago I bought a 1994 PSE Fire Flite 70 LB. 41" axle to axle compound. Has served me quite well w/minimal maintenance. It has the time proven Vector III machined eccentrics, HTE brackets and is 60% let-off. Has the ole Center Flight riser which is still being used.

This was 12 years ago & I see PSE still offers the Fire Flite Model with some improvements. Cabelas lists it for $330. A time proven model. Many manufacturers come out with new models all the time but the Fire Flite have been a flagship proven model (w/improvements of course) for many years.

Cant agrue with the Matthews being a great bow but much of archery is a lot of practice & gettin to know your bow & limitations. My one friend bot a Matthews & ended up with about $1,200 in it with set-up etc. Shootin side by side with him there isnt a significant difference in our shooting. We are both comparable in shooting skill. His bow is a lil smoother than mine & somewhat lighter though. Its all depends on how much you plan to hunt, personal finances etc etc etc. I know hunting with my PSE Fire Flite I never felt under bowed or felt shooting a bow costing less than a grand was a handicapp. Same way with firearms, there are high enders and middle of the roaders. I think the PSE is a good solid hunting bow that serves the serious hunting needs of many bowhunters today.

Best of luck!

LINK TO FIRE FLITE:

PSE Fire Flite

The more I look at these new bows the better my old bow looks as far as price! :shock:

Seems that is always the way things are when i go look at something new to replace something I have that works.

What I really like about the new bows is the let off. Do not know what mine is but it's not alot. At 75# draw I'm still holding a lot.

Any of you hog hunters going to take a bow with you on the Tenn hunts?

cur_dog,

My 70 LB PSE Fire Flite is 50% let off...I see the new model is 65-80. Mine isnt too bad to shoot & hits hard. The last buck I took was close....about a 10 yard shot almost at dark. I hit him with a 125 grain Thunderhead & arrow drove through both shoulder blades & about 24" of my 28" 2315 XX75 was hangin out on other side. Sounded like 2 bricks clacking tobether on hit. He collaspsed on spot & pushed himself about 10 yds forward with hind legs & that was it. I like the dbl lung hit but I pulled a little fwd on release.

When im ready to retire my 1994 PSE Fire Flite I will certainly look at them all but will give the ole PSE Fire Flite a second look for sure.

Have been using Mathews bows since about 1998, wouldnt use anything else now.

Yep, I decided to take my old bow in for a tune up, it's been YEARS since I had it tuned up, new string and such.

I need to get my left shoulder worked on this off season and I should be able to shoot it better.

Thanks for all the advise.

btw, I use thunderheads too. Great results!

Latest posts

Back