Lot 31, 33, 35 Blackhorn Density

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just now emptied the lot 33 Blackhorn jug, and opened the lot 35 jug. Been shooting a lot of 90 grain loads, so the RCBS Uniflow was set on what was called 90 grain Blackhorn. Dropped a bunch of loads, and weighed each to get an idea of the density of lot 35. Wrote the weights on a board here in the shop.

IMG_4594.JPG

Averaged the drops of lot 35 at 68.8 grain. Kinda surprising the density of lot 35 was so much larger than the density of lot 33. The density of lot 33 was higher than the density of lot 31 too. Don't know what to make of this??

I did not see where the lot number is on the bottles... I have 3 of the 10 oz bottles at home

For as long as they have been available, been buying the five pound jugs. It appears one doesn't actually get five pounds of powder when one purchases a five pound jug. What a deal.

Written right on the jug is 5 lb net weight. Not so..........

Curiosity got to me. I weighed an empty 5# jug then weighed an unopened 5# jug. The new jug came up short by 1 1/8 oz.

Lot17 empty jug weighs 4.73 oz. The unopened jug is lot 25. There seems to be a difference in the weight of the containers. Yes they are shorting us on the powder.

Doesn't seem like 1¼ % error is something to make a big deal out of. The jugs hold almost exactly 5 pounds. The weights of the jugs are off by more than the weights of the powder. Seems the jugs may have a difference in weight of 4%.

And of course you guys are all using certified calibrated digital scales to weigh these 5# jugs, no doubt?

Ohaus triple beam balance. Very accurate.

Back