LRMP vs 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlink

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
I have been trying to use my google powers and search powers on this site along with several others. Is there an advantage to using the LRMP over the 209 in a 700ml conversion? The route I'm planning to go at this point is to send it off to McGowan for a the re-barrel. I plan on this being a hunting rifle and not a bench gun, with that said speed is cool but not king. Some of the older threads talked about needing to use duplex loads to ignite properly with the 209 primers. TIA

I have a 700 mL factory with Badgers conversion it shoots excellent very clean,, if I was going to rebuild my using the badger bolt nose replacement or something similar I would consider giving Woodman arms a call,, he has a breach plug that will shoot 209 and modules with large rifle primers all out of the same breech plug it just needs to be headspace for either one,, in this day and time it's nice to have the versatility I can shoot any 209 I want just headspace the gun to that 209 or I can shoot large rifle or large rifle magnums in his brass module all in the same rifle and plug. I do believe that the large rifle Magnum primers, or large rifle primers will give you more consistency,, if you're building a rifle or having one built why not have a rifle that's capable of any of the above. So far in my experience shooting 209 smokeless I see absolutely no difference in accuracy I'm waiting on my chronograph to get back so I can check velocities and extreme spreads I'm sure they will be different. I've shot two of woodman arms adjustable bridge plugs now for years I thought the hankins or the arrowhead module systems where the cats meow I have a different opinion now. Oh yes and I still shoot Arrowhead and hankins modules in multiple rifles.

Thank for the information, I'll have to look into the plug. I'm set for awhile with a supply of either primers. What nose kit did you install to work with his adjustable plug?

I have a badger ridge conversion on my 700 ml ,, as I said it works very well,, I believe it would be compatible with using Woodman arms plug give him a call or email him and talk to him about what you're wanting to do,, I'm shooting his plugs in an TC Omega and a Paramount both rebuilt with new barrels. Also I would assume that badger ridge plug and bolt nose would also be possible parts for your new rebuild. I would talk to everyone I could ,badger ridge ,Woodman arms as well as seek the advice you're seeking on modern muzzleloader you're headed in the right direction.

Good deal, I have been shooting an Arrowhead 209 bolt nose on my 700ml for several years with this 209 rated plug. I have already emailed woodman about his breech plug and if there was a bolt kit he recommended with his plug.

I have been shooting an Arrowhead 209 bolt nose on my 700ml for several years with his 209 rated plug.

Since you are getting a Smokeless Rated barrel & already own an ASG Bolt Nose you may want to stick with that. If you go with the Badger Ridge get the Smokeless Version Bolt Nose that is Longer that the Standard BH 209 Bolt Nose. Running the LRMP in the Rem 700 ML is Not as Advantageous as the ASG Gen 2 CF Breech Plug because it has a Longer Flame Channel.

You may be interested in the Hybrid rifle I put together during the last few days. The barrel is a Brux 50 cal., 1/24 T, with a diameter of 1.125", which I purchased from Arrowhead Rifles. Part of the barrel is threaded 16 tpi for the Rem 700ML action, but the larger shoulder part is threaded 20 tpi for the 1.125" diam. Savage barrel nut. This set up makes it simple to adjust the headspace for the 209 primer and the custom breechplug I made for the rifle. The breechplug contains a carbide bushing also from Arrowhead Rifles. The boltnose kit came from Badger Ridge. I tackweld it in place with a TIG welder.

So far, I have shot some VVN120 in the rifle with 250 grain and 300 grain bullets. GM54-120 has highly recommended that powder because it is very clean burning. He is 100% correct. I greatly appreciate that advice.

Attachments

• RemSavUML.jpg
    RemSavUML.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
You may be interested in the Hybrid rifle I put together during the last few days. The barrel is a Brux 50 cal., 1/24 T, with a diameter of 1.125", which I purchased from Arrowhead Rifles. Part of the barrel is threaded 16 tpi for the Rem 700ML action, but the larger shoulder part is threaded 20 tpi for the 1.125" diam. Savage barrel nut. This set up makes it simple to adjust the headspace for the 209 primer and the custom breechplug I made for the rifle. The breechplug contains a carbide bushing also from Arrowhead Rifles. The boltnose kit came from Badger Ridge. I tackweld it in place with a TIG welder.

So far, I have shot some VVN120 in the rifle with 250 grain and 300 grain bullets. GM54-120 has highly recommended that powder because it is very clean burning. He is 100% correct. I greatly appreciate that advice.

I do not know why, but the new hybrid rifle shot better with the Acc 2015 powder during the last few days.

I need to shoot some more groups with the N120.

Attachments

• RemSavRem700ML Target.jpg
    RemSavRem700ML Target.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Back